Enlightened ice cream gah

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
I stopped eating those for a while and went back to real ice cream.

Yesterday, I felt like a treat that would not break the calorie bank, and found a 3 month old pint of peanut butter chocolate chip. I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought, and only ate half the pint.

5 hours later, I spent an hour in the bathroom.

NOT worth it.

You've been warned (Halo Top had the same consequences unfortunately).

Replies

• Francl27
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Well in a couple of weeks we in Canada will be able to find out what this Halo Top thing is all about.

Really curious about what you'll think about it, lol.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Well in a couple of weeks we in Canada will be able to find out what this Halo Top thing is all about.

I thought it was grainy--not creamy like ice cream at all--and it made my stomach hurt (and I have no problems with artificial sweeteners in any other food).
  • karamcrizz
    karamcrizz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Loving the Breyers 270 Dreamy Chocolate and looking forward to trying the new Ben & Jerry’s Moo-phobia.

Like it better than Halo Top.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    We often disagree on the foodie thread, @Francl27 , but I do agree that I have significant digestive issues when I try to eat a whole pint of Enlightened. In fact, after almost *kitten*ing myself this morning during my run, I have resolved to lay off artificial sweeteners the week before my actual races.

I still say, though, that Lemon Cake and Caramel Oatmeal Cookie Crunch are the best flavors of any frozen confection this side of Ben and Jerry's. :smile:
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    It seems to be something people either love or hate. Personally, if I'm looking for a sub for ice cream, I go for froyo.
  • alves_patricia
    alves_patricia Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Really ?! Where did you read that ? :O

• Francl27
    Options
    It seems to be something people either love or hate. Personally, if I'm looking for a sub for ice cream, I go for froyo.

Froyo has pretty much the same amount of calories than a lot of ice creams though (ok, maybe not Haagen Dazs or B&J).
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options

Really????? Not just in the East I hope......
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I do like the Enlightened bars, but I don't get the idea of eating a pint of ice cream at a time. Or even half a pint.

Perhaps actually eat it in moderation, and you won't get the stomach effects?

Not necessarily. Some people just don't tolerate the sugar alcohol in it at all. I, on the other hand, have eaten half a pint in a sitting, and a pint over the course of a day, with no ill effects whatsoever.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I do like the Enlightened bars, but I don't get the idea of eating a pint of ice cream at a time. Or even half a pint.

Not necessarily. Some people just don't tolerate the sugar alcohol in it at all. I, on the other hand, have eaten half a pint in a sitting, and a pint over the course of a day, with no ill effects whatsoever.

Whether it's Halo top or Ben and Jerry's High-test full sugar. A pint is a serving and I'm going to eat it. IF it gives me a problem then I won't eat that one again.. But once the pint is tapped, the pint is going to be eaten.

I have fond memories of a pint of Ben & Jerry's cookies and cream cheesecake core and a Lord of the Rings marathon. Hmm, I may have just planned half my weekend!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Whether it's Halo top or Ben and Jerry's High-test full sugar. A pint is a serving and I'm going to eat it. IF it gives me a problem then I won't eat that one again.. But once the pint is tapped, the pint is going to be eaten.

I have fond memories of a pint of Ben & Jerry's cookies and cream cheesecake core and a Lord of the Rings marathon. Hmm, I may have just planned half my weekend!

Oh, and I had a pint of Halotop Birthday cake last night and no issues. Just for reference for the folks tracking metrics
  • akopesky
    akopesky Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I came across this today & thought her review was good. I stopped eating Blue Bell because that's going down a rabbit hole for me. I tried Halo Top & it's ok but not worth the $4-$5 for the pint. I may try dreyers slow churned for that sweet tooth fix.

https://www.thatmacrolife.com/macro-friendly-food-review-halo-top-vs-dreyers-slow-churned/
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    On the topic of ice cream, I wish Americans would follow the Italians here:

"In Italy, by law, gelato must have at least 3.5 percent butterfat. In the United States, there is no legal standard of definition for gelato as there is for ice cream, which must contain at least 10 percent butterfat."
    https://otl-america.com/how-gelato-is-made-served-and-displayed/

Italian gelato often uses milk instead of cream (or a higher proportion of milk:cream).
    Hence Talenti gelato having upwards of 250 cal/half cup (comparable Haagen Dazs ice cream), Italian Venchi at ~154/half cup (give/take, depending on the flavor), and American-based Il Laboratorio (my personal favorite; *basil* and *mascarpone*...) having an indiscoverable number.

^Amazing in coffee with ceylon cinnamon.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I even know the guy who opened up an Amorino gelateria in my neighborhood. He's a phenomenal swimmer. He couldn't (wouldn't?) give me the nutritional information.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I had no issues with Halo Top when I tried it. Thankfully as I was vacationing and having "issues" in the trailer is not fun.

But whatever is in the Light ice cream I bought at Save On (Canadian store) caused issues with a normal serving size (a couple of scoops). I did finish the container over a couple of weeks, and had my lowest scale weight at the time doing it, but so not worth it. Wasn't even that light on the calories. Maybe 30 less per serving.
  • lks802
    lks802 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think it’s the sugar alcohols that cause that. It’s the same crap in Atkins bars that messes with the stomach.

Honestly, I budget to eat the real thing. I eat very clean M-F using fresh meal delivery service Eat Clean Bro. On Sat and Sun, I will eat what I want Meaning if I want to down a half pint of Ben and Jerry’s, I do...I will just make lighter choices rest of day. Same if I want to eat some gnocchi’s in blush sauce for dinner Saturday with a cocktail, rest of day will be lighter food. I do go a bit over my daily calories those days, but it seems to work ok for me. It helps me strike a balance between binging and being restricted. It’s more about my mindset