Best protein powders and bars? Best pre-workout

Options
And by best I mean in terms of low carb to protein ratio, tasty and not too inexpensive!
Also- what is a good pre workout that you use?

Replies

• altairego21
    altairego21 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I meant to say not too expensive*
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    If you can't get enough protein through good and need to supplement your intake with a powder, I'd suggest a WPI.

I don't really use preWO - they don't seem to do a lot for me.
  • huskydoo
    huskydoo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I struggle to get my daily protein in on reduced calorie intake.
    I have tried several different protein powders and “tasty” is a relative term
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I like the Met Rx Protein Plus. The have vanilla and chocolate flavors. I don't know about carbs, but they are very low in fat compared to some of the other brands out there. Blend with milk and a banana, and they are very tasty.

Protein bars give me gas, and the ones I have tried have not tasted very well, so I avoid them. I definitely prefer powdered form when I can't get enough from my regular diet.
  • MickyCrispDipper
    MickyCrispDipper Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I find most protein bars are quite fatty, but as long as it fits your macros. The musclefood lemon flavour or peanut and choc flavour ones are great. If you’re in the UK go in the pound shop they do them
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You don't need a preworkout supplement.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    When I eat a protein bar I lean towards Quest. They don't make me wanna gag.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Best is subjective. I like Optimum Nutrition and/or Trutein products, but that's my preference.

As for pre-workout... caffeine in whatever form/delivery method you prefer. Maybe some sugar (again, whatever form you like). I like caffeine pills and rice cripsy treats personally.
  • huskydoo
    huskydoo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    For quick after workout if I forget my shaker I’ll pick up muscle milk at any convenience store. Cookies and cream is really good. 14 oz bottle with 25 grams protein and 160 calories. Low on carbs too

For protein powder I like Muscletech Nitrotech in milk chocolate. 30 gr protein 150 calories 2 grams fat and carbs $40 for 2 lbs at GNC can find it at Walmart for a little less
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    bars: I like Combat Crunch and Optimum Nutrition's Cake Bites the best. Quest Bars are ok but too chewy. All protein bars have pretty much the same stats these days: ~20g protein/200 calories. More than one a day and I get hella gas, so I gotta watch out.

powder: Vitamin Shoppe's house brand, "Bodytech", is both cheap and tastes the best, IMO. Their chocolate mixes well with peanut butter, and the vanilla goes great with cereal (Fruity Pebbles!).

Pre-workout. Nothing special, maybe 100 calories of candy or something. Three Hershey's Kisses, because we have them around. Sugar supposedly helps lifting. Can't say for sure personally.