Any other shorties who shop in the children's section?

Options
2»

Replies

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    I buy most of my hoodies, t-shirts and sweat pants in the boys department. I haven't found much of a difference in price in the girls department vs. the adult section but there always seems to be a sale in the boys section.

One thing I found interesting is I buy my everyday flip flops in the boys department (not the dressy kind). They are cheaper and built sturdier it seems.

It's kind of hit or miss for me in the juniors department - I have larger hips than most of their clothes are designed for.

I am a size 5.5-6 in shoes. I do head over to the boys shoes section often but haven't found anything recently. I do agree - the boys shoes seem to be sturdier!
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I am short and petite but I have never been able to buy anything in the children's section, except for socks once in awhile. I have narrow shoulders but I am too busty, with a small waist and wide hips. Until my late 40s I was buying some outfits in the junior section, but after menopause my body shape changed and those styles didn't fit me any more. Besides, as we get older juvenile fashion doesn't look good on most of us.

I do better in the petite section of stores like Chico's, J.Jill, WHBM, etc. specially when they have sales.

I do not suffer that problem! :)
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    I am 5 foot even and love a bargain. I often check the children's clothing area out for sales. I can usually fit in a child's large or extra large and the clothing is often cheaper. One thing that never occurred to me was to check for underwear sales...

A few weeks ago I was at Costco and saw a 6 pack of cute calvin klein underwear for $4.97! Then noticed it was for children. I flipped it over as I was putting it back and noticed the sizing chart. OMG they would fit!

Anyone else head over the the children's clothing area? What have some of your favorite finds been? Besides the bargain underwear I love some pj's I found - the print looks like a mummy.

Reminds me of Angela from The Office!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I am short and petite but I have never been able to buy anything in the children's section, except for socks once in awhile. I have narrow shoulders but I am too busty, with a small waist and wide hips. Until my late 40s I was buying some outfits in the junior section, but after menopause my body shape changed and those styles didn't fit me any more. Besides, as we get older juvenile fashion doesn't look good on most of us.

I do better in the petite section of stores like Chico's, J.Jill, WHBM, etc. specially when they have sales.

Yeah, this is part of my problem too. (The busty part, not the menopause part.) I am a relatively young professor, and even though I'm now old enough to not be mistaken as a student anymore, I'm still not comfortable wearing the same styles as my students. Most of my work clothes come from the petite section of the Ann Taylor or Banana Republic outlets. Or Amazon.

The petite sections are still frustrating for me, though, because petite pants are still too long. I read somewhere that they're designed for people 5'2" and I'm just under 5 feet. They have to be hemmed even if they're "petite."

Lee sells some jeans in "short petite" sizes that worked perfectly for me. Unfortunately, their jeans only go down to size 4, so they're now too big for me. But if you can wear them, I highly recommend checking Amazon for them.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I wish. I actually skipped most of the Juiniors because I got fat at 10.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

Yeah, this is part of my problem too. (The busty part, not the menopause part.) I am a relatively young professor, and even though I'm now old enough to not be mistaken as a student anymore, I'm still not comfortable wearing the same styles as my students. Most of my work clothes come from the petite section of the Ann Taylor or Banana Republic outlets. Or Amazon.

The petite sections are still frustrating for me, though, because petite pants are still too long. I read somewhere that they're designed for people 5'2" and I'm just under 5 feet. They have to be hemmed even if they're "petite."

Lee sells some jeans in "short petite" sizes that worked perfectly for me. Unfortunately, their jeans only go down to size 4, so they're now too big for me. But if you can wear them, I highly recommend checking Amazon for them.

Try Chicos on sale and when you find something that you like and fits go on line for a great discount. I am barely 4'11" and their jeans "so slimming girlfriend crops," in 00 (equivalent to a 2/3 size) fit me perfectly to my ankles. I never had to take them up. When you order on line you can check their sizing table to match their numbers to your size.

Having said that, I can't wear their tops because they are tunic style. Too long for my short body, but one of the sales ladies suggested that I try on line where they have most of the smaller sizes. One of these days I will do that.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    RAinWA wrote: »
    I buy most of my hoodies, t-shirts and sweat pants in the boys department. I haven't found much of a difference in price in the girls department vs. the adult section but there always seems to be a sale in the boys section.

One thing I found interesting is I buy my everyday flip flops in the boys department (not the dressy kind). They are cheaper and built sturdier it seems.

It's kind of hit or miss for me in the juniors department - I have larger hips than most of their clothes are designed for.

I am a size 5.5-6 in shoes. I do head over to the boys shoes section often but haven't found anything recently. I do agree - the boys shoes seem to be sturdier!

I do not suffer that problem! :)

Yep, sometimes it's a problem specially when you are short. I am a 32DD and I can't wear shirts because if they fit at my shoulders, they don't close at the bust area. I wear a light t-shirt or tank top underneath and the shirt like a jacket. Oh well!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »
    I wish. I actually skipped most of the Juiniors because I got fat at 10.

Me too. Puberty hit when I was 9 and I put on a lot of weight really fast. I never really wore "teenage" clothes--partially because they didn't fit, partially because we couldn't afford expensive clothes, and partially because we lived in the middle of nowhere and the nearest mall was 2 hours away. A lot of my clothes when I was a teenager came from the K-Mart sales racks.
  • bioklutz
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

Try Chicos on sale and when you find something that you like and fits go on line for a great discount. I am barely 4'11" and their jeans "so slimming girlfriend crops," in 00 (equivalent to a 2/3 size) fit me perfectly to my ankles. I never had to take them up. When you order on line you can check their sizing table to match their numbers to your size.

Having said that, I can't wear their tops because they are tunic style. Too long for my short body, but one of the sales ladies suggested that I try on line where they have most of the smaller sizes. One of these days I will do that.

I will have to check them out! I work in a lab and we all wear jeans/t-shirt/lab coats. I do not have any business casual pieces anymore. I do need at least 1 outfit for the rare off-site visits. BTW the lab coats I have are ridiculously long on me!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I'm not even short and I buy kids Ts at Old Navy. Sometimes $4 for essentially the same product banana republic sells for $20. I've noticed recently they seem to have more stretch which does work better for an hourglass figure.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I have a couple kids tops and a hoodie, jockey big girls sports bras...tried girls sweats, but they were too big in the waist and a little short.
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I'm not short (5 ft 6) but shop in kids sections. I've noticed the kids sections today are very different to what I wore as a kid. As an example I have a blue velvet crop top that is meant for a 10 year old....when I was 10 my mum would not have let me out the door wearing anything like that! Most things I owned then were pink with lots of sequins and glitter like you'd expect a 10 year old to wear!

The only trouble I've found with them is the shape, I can never get adult clothes to fit my waist. Childrens clothes will fit my waist but as they're made for more up-and-down figures and I'm an hourglass they don't fit my hips :(
  • CharlieAnn31
    CharlieAnn31 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I once bought childrens hiking boots, their largest size.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I just leveraged this strategy for the first time the other day - I peeked in the kids clearance section at Dicks Sporting Goods and saw a pair of pants that looked like they could fit. Low and behold I can wear UA size large girls pants - got ‘em for $9! Cheapest I’ve ever paid for pants at DSG, including their Black Friday sales.

Thanks for the tip!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I also wear kiddie stuff. Some things are too big, even !!!
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I can fit into Gap Kids XXL and was even able to wear an XL girl's skirt. I found a Boston Bruins jersey that was on clearance for $20 (reg. $100). It had a minor defect and I was going to sell it, but tried it on, fit perfect and was a Youth size XL
  • bioklutz
    Options
    Some nice finds!

I just got a boys puma sweatshirt for $6.97!