30 year old female, I cannot gain weight? I have the opposite problem as most.

Options
I am 30, small frame, only 5'1,
For the last 6 or 7 years I have lost an extra 20 pounds from what I used to be as a teenager!!!! I weighed more and looked better then of course, I need to gain weight, any extra tips would be helpful, I do have to make myself eat, I'm trying to eat as much healthy but also a lot of it, I've been buying foods like avocados and boost drinks to help with the situation. Any other ideas? And am I alone in this? Most women don't want to gain weight...

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    There are a bunch of women in this forum who are gaining weight. Please check out the link @sardelsa posted above.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Not a woman, but I have had some issues gaining. When you say you have to make yourself eat, is that physical or mental? For me, it's more about letting myself eat more than it is my stomach feeling full.

Also, are you still losing or are you at least maintaining your current weight? Maintenance vs a clean bulk might be as little as a snack cookie (like a Lenny and Larry) or a Quest bar or REAL cookies
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Are you lifting? If you are, your appetite will improve and you will be motivated to eat so your muscles will grow. "Bulking" can be a heck of a lot of fun. I just hit a couple personal strength records as a result of my recent bulk and I'm 49. Just up your calories, lift, watch the scale a few times a week and start learning.
  • ashleypacker155
    ashleypacker155 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Richardgavel it's physical and mental I think haha I don't feel hunger much it's like I'm missing that or something but also I get put off by food a lot mentally or if that's not happening I just plain forget to eat because I don't feel hunger. Couple bites I feel full.....I've been losing weight badly right now because I got the flu and lost 7 pounds two weeks ago and I still haven't put a pound of it back on yet
  • ashleypacker155
    Options
    And I'm not lifting just some cardio during the day, I do know I should be exercising as well but I'm trying to get some kind of base down before I start I don't want to end up losing more, also checking out the link above by sardelsa....thank you! Also I'm pretty sure I eat more carbs than anything else so far that doesn't seem to be helping but I'm trying to make myself eat more anyways
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Eat more food.
  • ashleypacker155
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I do need to eat more just wondering if there was anything else I could do that would help it along
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Also, start lifting YESTERDAY! I swear, your body composition will improve like nobody's business
  • ashleypacker155
    Options
    I have been bugging a few friends to come to the gym with me as I am not ok to go there by myself lol but maybe if I bought some weights and did it at home? I do know that exercise will stimulate my hunger and body to want to gain....that's something I need to get on for sure, at home still good idea? Lol
  • JamesEfird
    JamesEfird Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I know it's already been said, but lift lift LIFT. You dont have to do crazy reps or crazy heavy. Moderate resistance, a few sets on each muscle group, moderate reps. If you can, increase weight a little each set. Cardio is great for the heart and lungs, but does not help when you're trying to gain. And you have to eat. Since its hard for you to remember to eat, try setting multiple alarms on your phone to remind you to eat a small snack every couple of hours. Keep track of your carb and protein intake for a week, then if you need to intake more, change up the snacks. But most importantly, be patient. The kind of weight gain you want to have does not come quickly.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a gym with equipment, I would try to go there, why are you not ok going by yourself? Is there staff that could give you a tour or a complimentary training session to get you more comfortable?

I workout at home but I have equipment. Not all equipment, but what I need.
  • JamesEfird
    JamesEfird Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I meant to throw this in earlier, even at home, body weight exercises can be just as strenuous as anything with equipment. Pushups, squats, lunges, crunches, pull ups from a tree branch... there are a lot of different ways to workout almost every major muscle group without using any equipment.
  • monicalifestylefitness
    Options
    You’re not alone. I’m 43. “Exercising” for over 10 years. My weight has always stayed the same 125 no matter what I did. In December I decided trying a bulk. After getting my macros dialed in I lost weight again. Ugh. The struggle is real! But my lifts are heavier than ever before. So just know that it’s a process & everyBODY is different.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm just putting it out there that liquid calories can be snuck in around the clock. That includes Starbucks lattes with syrup, full fat milk, and the boost you mentioned. Don't use these to replace meals; they are extra.

Can you eat three times a day including breakfast?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    And I'm not lifting just some cardio during the day, I do know I should be exercising as well but I'm trying to get some kind of base down before I start I don't want to end up losing more, also checking out the link above by sardelsa....thank you! Also I'm pretty sure I eat more carbs than anything else so far that doesn't seem to be helping but I'm trying to make myself eat more anyways

If you're having a hard time hitting the calories you need to gain weight, why are you making it harder with cardio?
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'd say lift heavy to grow. Get a good book like Starting Strength and learn the compound lifts like deadlift and squat. I've been a runner, lifted weights, and done body-weight exercises my entire life but nothing stimulates my appetite like a heavy squat workout. Strength training also takes a minimal amount of time versus bodybuilding. Nothing beats the feeling of setting a personal record by loading a barbell and pressing, squatting, or deadlifting it!