Variations of the hip thrust as effective?

Options
It’s so much easier set up wise for me to perform this lift on the leg extension machine (or even the Smith machine for that matter), and I’m wondering if anyone else here does this and if you find it is as effective?

Also, if using a traditional bar, how about laying on your back as opposed to against a bench?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Yes it can be, especially if you are progressing and feeling it in the glutes. I know Bret utilizes the Smith machine thrust quite often recently in his Glute Lab and training. We had a discussion about it not too long ago if you want to have a read

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636720/hip-thrust-question/p1

And your second question, that is a glute bridge. While it targets the glutes, the range of motion is less than the hip thrust. Also it can get awkward with higher weight (the plates start to hit the floor and the range of motion is even less), also the readjusting necessary can take away from it. Despite all that, I love bridges and I do like to incorporate them into my training.
  • jiggyj9
    jiggyj9 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Ah, thank you so much for that information and for the helpful link. I recently learned about Bret’s programming and am trying to incorporate more thrusts into my routine!
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have found most effective for me anyway at this time is using the Smith machine.. I've done on floor as glute Bridges with bb and against bench with bb, but it's Smith for me, so much easier to load and get under.. pulling a bench over and then just varying it up... Sometimes with feet slightly raised on a low box, sometimes with bands too, and sometimes heavy heavy weight, single legs etc...I love hip thrusts!!
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    youtube.com/watch?v=S-JIht9KjaI
    Smith machine/leg extension can be a huge time saver setting up if that's an issue (if you can get over the awkwardness of random people having no idea wtf you are doing)
    Check out bret contreras on youtube as well...stellar info on hip thrusts as well as GHRs among other leg/glute exercises
  • monicalifestylefitness
    Options
    Not all smith machines allow you to go past a certain point. Therefore the use of the B.B. I’ve used both & like someone else said the glute activation on the smith is more. But the gym closest to my house locks too high. Boooo. And definitely do both. Squat & thrust & deadlift Etc... etc..
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Hip thrusts are fun and super empowering when you can live lots of weight.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I just can't. The only thing I've ever done on a smith machine is a rack pull. No way I'm gonna do my money lift on it.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I just can't. The only thing I've ever done on a smith machine is a rack pull. No way I'm gonna do my money lift on it.

You know what, I know what you are saying, but Bret is getting really into them suddenly and puts his Glute Squad to work on them. Think of it as a variation.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

You know what, I know what you are saying, but Bret is getting really into them suddenly and puts his Glute Squad to work on them. Think of it as a variation.

I know...but Stu McGill is also convinced that Brett is going to end up hurting a lot of people. I'm not sure why yet...working on getting the inside scoop. Still hip thrusting till I hear.
  • sardelsa
    edited March 2018
    Options

I know...but Stu McGill is also convinced that Brett is going to end up hurting a lot of people. I'm not sure why yet...working on getting the inside scoop. Still hip thrusting till I hear.

I hip thrust at least 2-3x per week for how many years... I haven't had any issues at all. Deads yes. Pull-ups yes.. had to go to PT. Didn't Bret do a survey of injuries from hip thrusting, he said you can develop chronic issues if you aren't doing it properly, but that goes with any lift.

But.. in the end if you feel funny doing them.. don't do them. Simple as that right. I'm gonna take my chances.
  • bbell1985
    Options

I hip thrust at least 2-3x per week for how many years... I haven't had any issues at all. Deads yes. Pull-ups yes.. had to go to PT. Didn't Bret do a survey of injuries from hip thrusting, he said you can develop chronic issues if you aren't doing it properly, but that goes with any lift.

But.. in the end if you feel funny doing them.. don't do them. Simple as that right. I'm gonna take my chances.

And I've been fine as well. As I said, I need to hear more about what Stu said. I'm hoping it's just that people are doing the exercise wrong.
  • samantharmaggard
    samantharmaggard Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I like to use a barbell and roll it up over my legs and to my hips. Definitely use a bench.
  • sardelsa
    Options

And I've been fine as well. As I said, I need to hear more about what Stu said. I'm hoping it's just that people are doing the exercise wrong.

Yea I'd be interested in what he has to say too. Keep me posted!
  • bbell1985
    Options

Yea I'd be interested in what he has to say too. Keep me posted!

Will do. I love Bret, don't get me wrong. My butt looks so much better thanks to the hip thrust. But Stu McGill's protocol for back health fixed me.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Skip hip thrusts and just squat.

Why, squats are quad dominate and barely activate your glutes. If you want to build the glutes than you should do an exercise that activates those muscles. And the science doesn't support your assertion.
  • joakim3
    joakim3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Lunges are a great tool for glute and overall leg development
  • BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have only ever done them off variations of thrust height. I believe his rule of thumb was (if read correctly) you can go as low as you want (he has done them off a stepper..) but once you’re flat on the ground it’s now a bridge. I do mine off a 12” box jump with exercise mats under it to make it about 14”. I find a traditional bench is too high with my shorter torso and I can’t setup correctly. He has what he calls the “American” where more of your body is supported and supposedly you get s higher glute activation. Also, I will keep constant tension without allowing the weight to hit the floor (still getting total range of motion) vs dropping it. My point being these are the only variations I do and I stick with the bar...I just feel it’s more fluid and prefer it for me.