My Name is Mitch

Options
Hello to Everyone my name is Mitch, i am currently about a week into the start of my diet and i will say i've been keeping track on my app on the tablet however i fear due to lack of exercise that i won't lose much at all even with eating properly any advice, i am a retail work i'm not sure what i burn per day i don't have insurance so please don't recommend going to the doctor to get dietary help.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Your doctor can't help you much with your diet anyway, so relax, but listen: this is totally up to you. You can lose weight without exercise, just eat the calories MFP told you. But you have to do it for real, consistently and for a long time, in order to get the desired result. You don't have to eat in a certain way (if that's what you mean by proplerly), you just have to eat less (fewer calories than you burn). Even though you don't have to exrecise, moderate exercise is good for you.
  • SigourneyLouise2901
    Options
    Hi.
  • mitchellmiller91
    mitchellmiller91 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    How's it going guys :)
  • mitchellmiller91
    Options
    problem is finding an exercise i enjoy,

Thanks for the reply kommodevaran! :)
  • bigjonb4116
    bigjonb4116 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    hi mitch, walking is great exercise, and its free. even just short distances to begin with will help. if you are starting from a heavier weight,any movement and eating in a defecit will have the weight coming off.
    if you can cut out soda and sugary drinks in general it will help too.
    i started at 456lbs . losing weight is a long term project. good luck.
  • change_gonna_come_1_day
    Options
    problem is finding an exercise i enjoy,

Thanks for the reply kommodevaran! :)

Do you like to dance ?
  • mitchellmiller91
    Options
    BigJon Thanks for your advice, i actually have been off soda and sugary drinks for about a month, i am on my second week of eating the proper amount of calories so far everyday i have been under the amount the app recommends for me. Not sure if that guarantees that i am doing good, if anyone else has any info i'd love to hear what works for others

Change: Dancing is ok just not infront of people xD
  • bigjonb4116
    bigjonb4116 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    chech out haasfit videos on youtube, i downloaded a couple of 10 min arobic vids when i started for the privacy of my own home. i sent you a friend request too.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Welcome .. as long as you stay below your caloric levels you will lose even without exercise. I have lost a lot with my IT desk job and literally only exercising my brain and fingers.
  • berky06
    berky06 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My experience is I have lost weight doing it both ways. I'm not into weights, etc. but I do walk in a pool for an hour everyday. I also have a friend who is down 30# and she isn't doing exercise at all. I feel better doing the exercise , I'm also in a better mood and sleep better.
  • r3488
    r3488 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 75 pounds primarily through calorie counting (exercised a little, but it wasn't really a focus). As the weight has come off, it has gotten easier to add exercise a little at a time. Weight loss isn't linear (some days the scale is up, some days it stays the same, same days it "whooshes" off), but if you consistently stick to your calorie deficit, the weight will come off.
  • LoneWolfJoe
    LoneWolfJoe Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey Mitch,

I’ll give you some advice I didn’t learn till awhile in to my journey. Exercise is maybe 20%(if even that) of weight loss. The other 80% is diet. What really matters is the calorie intake vs calorie lost. Your body burns calories all day long (including when you’re sleeping). The average male needs 2500 calories per day to maintain weight (meaning our bodies burn approx 2500 calories per day doing nothing, or extremely minimal exercise... like basic travel time around the office, house, etc) so as long as you’re eating whatever your app says to eat (which will be less calories than you need to maintain your current weight) you’ll lose weight.

In saying that, exercise does speed up the process. It obviously burns calories, but it also increases your metabolism so you burn more calories while you’re not doing exercise. You should also strive to drink at least 60-70 ounces of water per day. Drinking 500ml (17 ounces) 30 minutes before a meal is scientifically proven to reduce your eating by 44%.

Anyway, if you want to you’re welcome to add me and we can go on this journey together.
  • mitchellmiller91
    Options
    make it hard to do the exercise without a partner, ususal my wife is at work so i normal have no one to join me on my walk
  • mitchellmiller91
    Options
    Sorry i've been in active i've been using the mobile app it's really helped with keeping track of my calories proud to have lost 14 pounds as in the last month when i originally started on this