Do you think the biggest loser regainers track calories after show.

Options
psychod787
psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
I have been extremely fascinated by Kevin Hall's study on the season 8 biggest losers. I am wondering, do you think that they tracked calories and still regained all the weight?

Replies

• psychod787
    Options
    I mean, I have been wondering. If you were tracking calories or macros, and gaining weight, would you not have an idea something was not right? I am not blaming them, but one of them stated that he cried when he he was told about his metabolistic drop. As someone who dropped 140lbs in a year it interest me. I know my leptin is in the tank. Actually had it tested. Though t4 concentrations are normal.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    From my understanding of the show, they go right back to environment that caused all the weight gain in the first place.

On the show, are they given tools to be successful like lessons how to meal plan/cook, how to correctly determine portions and track calories, how to manage stress in a positive manner, etc? Or just a VLCD and a lot of exercise to do?
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    When you study those that have kept weight off for longer than one year that were once obese (I was certainly one of those), reading the information on the National Weight Loss Registry, it becomes clear that in order to keep off the weight, it's more than just watching calories. Nearly everyone that keeps the weight off also works out, on average, an hour a day.

I lost 70 plus pounds and kept it off for four years now. I follow that same pattern.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I mean, I have been wondering. If you were tracking calories or macros, and gaining weight, would you not have an idea something was not right? I am not blaming them, but one of them stated that he cried when he he was told about his metabolistic drop. As someone who dropped 140lbs in a year it interest me. I know my leptin is in the tank. Actually had it tested. Though t4 concentrations are normal.

Well, you'd think gaining weight would be a pretty big clue, even without tracking. But as others have said, those people essentially crash dieted, so yeah, their adaptive thermogenesis is pretty nasty.

Re your leptin, have you taken any diet breaks whilst losing? I'd highly recommend having a look at this thread as an approach to minimising adaptive thermogenesis: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks#latest. I think I'm right that you still have some weight to lose? If so, you may want to consider doing a diet break, and then incorporating regular breaks and/or refeeds for the remainder of your weight loss. High carbs are key to getting leptin levels back up in this process.
  • psychod787
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »

Well, you'd think gaining weight would be a pretty big clue, even without tracking. But as others have said, those people essentially crash dieted, so yeah, their adaptive thermogenesis is pretty nasty.

Re your leptin, have you taken any diet breaks whilst losing? I'd highly recommend having a look at this thread as an approach to minimising adaptive thermogenesis: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks#latest. I think I'm right that you still have some weight to lose? If so, you may want to consider doing a diet break, and then incorporating regular breaks and/or refeeds for the remainder of your weight loss. High carbs are key to getting leptin levels back up .

I am actually in a gaining phase to help restore some hormones. Shooting for trending 1/2 lbs a week.