What do you supplement with?

Options
I’m curious what works for everyone else here in terms of for weight training and just overall health.

For me, I use whey during the day and after workouts and casein at night.

As far as vitamins, I take an antioxidant blend, vitamin D, and fish oil.

Replies

• Rose18l
    Rose18l Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Whey, animal pak and pre workout. Don't take pre workout and whey everyday. Depends on my energy level and protein intake.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Whey, multi-vitamin, vit D, fish oil. Nothing too exciting.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Whey, creatine, vitamin D, iron, and magnesium.
  • jiggyj9
    jiggyj9 Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Does everyone else take their whey everyday, even on off days?
    Rose18l wrote: »
    Whey, animal pak and pre workout. Don't take pre workout and whey everyday. Depends on my energy level and protein intake.

• Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    whey (even on off days), multi, creatine, magnesium, caffeine (coffee). Nothing special
  • sardelsa
    Options
    jiggyj9 wrote: »

I typically take it at least once a day, unless I happen to eat a lot of protein that day
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Vit D (deficient), whey, (on days that I'm not eating after the gym), magnesium

Also cinnamon and turmeric, b/c why not?
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    I do whey almost every day. I usually make a shake and throw my creatine in there.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

I don't "take" whey for anything other than contributing to my protein intake. I put a bit in some yoghurt pretty much every day. I also have a flavoured collagen powder which I use interchangeably...

No other supplements..
  • jiggyj9
    Options
    What are everyone’s protein intake goals per day?

I’m struggling to figure out exactly how much protein I should be intaking (been lifting for years but just started MFP/tracking my calories and nutrients). I’m 130 pounds and trying to gain more lean muscle, and my goal right now is set to around 130 grams per day.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

I’m struggling to figure out exactly how much protein I should be intaking (been lifting for years but just started MFP/tracking my calories and nutrients). I’m 130 pounds and trying to gain more lean muscle, and my goal right now is set to around 130 grams per day.

If you're trying to grow, are you in a calorie surplus?

I have 130g at the moment too... About 140lbs, in a deficit to lose weight.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

My goal is set to 136g and my current weight happens to be 136. I tend to meet my protein before anything else because I love me some meat LOL
  • sardelsa
    Options

You need to be in a calorie surplus first and foremost. I aim for 0.8-1g per lb in a bulk, a bit more in a deficit.
  • jiggyj9
    Options

Please pardon my ignorance, but is a surplus or deficit counting the calories you are burning? Because I’m currently not calculating the calories I burn at all and am trying to eat around the same amount of calories everyday.

To be honest, I have a hard enough time eating 2,500 or so calories a day, which is approximately where I’m at to gain.

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

My goal is set to 136g and my current weight happens to be 136. I tend to meet my protein before anything else because I love me some meat LOL
    And this is why we are kindred spirits!
  • sardelsa
    Options

Please pardon my ignorance, but is a surplus or deficit counting the calories you are burning? Because I’m currently not calculating the calories I burn at all and am trying to eat around the same amount of calories everyday.

To be honest, I have a hard enough time eating 2,500 or so calories a day, which is approximately where I’m at to gain.

Surplus is over your maintenance. If you are not gaining weight over time, then you are not in a surplus of calories. Tracking can help especially if you are having trouble hitting your goals, it gives you an idea of how much you are eating and how much more you need. Calorie dense food will be your best friend.. peanut butter, nuts, seeds, avocado, oils, full fat dairy, bread, bagels, pasta, high fat meats and fish, cookies, cake, pizza, juice, smoothies etc
  • jiggyj9
    Options
    Makes sense! So I would say I am eating at a surplus, but it hasn’t been very consistent, up until I started using this app which has really been a game changer for me (the missing piece if you will).

Over the two weeks so far of tracking my intake, my issue though is that I get full usually before my goal. So I’m resorting to protein shakes and scoops of peanut butter at night.

The other thing is, when you are eating in a surplus, how do you manage the extra fat/bloatedness that seems to get stored around the tummy? I’ve been considering adding a day at the gym that is strictly cardio or HIIT.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Makes sense! So I would say I am eating at a surplus, but it hasn’t been very consistent, up until I started using this app which has really been a game changer for me (the missing piece if you will).

Over the two weeks so far of tracking my intake, my issue though is that I get full usually before my goal. So I’m resorting to protein shakes and scoops of peanut butter at night.

The other thing is, when you are eating in a surplus, how do you manage the extra fat/bloatedness that seems to get stored around the tummy? I’ve been considering adding a day at the gym that is strictly cardio or HIIT.

Don't do that if you are having issues gaining and can't keep up with you intake as is, you are only going to add to your calorie intake to gain. It's going to be like treading water, you are going to get nowhere if your goal is to gain.

You could lower your fibre, eat more calorie dense food which doesn't take up a lot of space. In the end when you bulk it is hard to avoid the bloat. If you are actually gaining fat in the waist, and you know too high a surplus isn't an issue as you indicated, make sure you are following a training program with progressive overload. Poor training/inadequate muscle stimuli can lead to excess fat gain.
  • jiggyj9
    Options
    Fair enough! I am currently following a progressive overload program. I think lowering my fiber may be key... I keep seeming to go over my daily fiber goal.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10637410/beneficial-supplements-which-ones-are-right-for-you#latest

1. Protein
    3. Beta-Alanine
    4. Creatine

These are the main supplements that I take nearly every day. I should have caffeine as I do use it most days but I don't always take a stimmed pre-workout. I worry about too much caffeine and building a tolerance. So I only use it about half the time I lift. Beta-alanine and creatine I don't have loading phase I just take 3.5-5g daily (normally on the lower side). Warning Beta-alanine does give a "pins and needles" feeling on face and hands. If you don't like that feeling avoid it.

Don't buy the expensive Beta-alanine or creatine. It doesn't work any better than the My Protein or Bulk Supplements brands that are a fraction of the cost.