P.H.A.T vs P.H.U.L

Options
I am a natural lifter and I have been doing PHAT for only a week and I do seem to find it a bit easy and not to challenging and personally I like to challenge myself each time I do a workout. But I can say weather it’s working or not for me yet I will have to do it a few more times to judge the programme.

Is one of them better then the other one though? Which one do you recommend following and why? What are all of your opinions on the PHAT and PHUL workouts?
Thanks all.

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Did you read @bbell1985 's responses on your other thread..?
    She said "If you don't like PHAT you won't like PHUL, I call that 'Baby PHAT'"

Meaning PHUL will be less volume/a step backward from PHAT. If you already think PHAT isn't enough, you surely won't be happy if you take a step backwards.

I would just stick with PHAT - AS WRITTEN. Give it longer than a week, and you might find that the fatigue will start to accumulate after a few weeks.

If it's too easy and you aren't being challenged at all, maybe you aren't lifting heavy enough? (If you're doing things like swapping compound movements for isolation lifts as you alluded to in the other thread, that might also be part of your problem.....)

ETA I'm looking at the PHAT programming right now and it's no joke.
    If you haven't, you might download the ebook from Layne's website, which has several pages of info.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options

Meaning PHUL will be less volume/a step backward from PHAT. If you already think PHAT isn't enough, you surely won't be happy if you take a step backwards.

I would just stick with PHAT - AS WRITTEN. Give it longer than a week, and you might find that the fatigue will start to accumulate after a few weeks.

If it's too easy and you aren't being challenged at all, maybe you aren't lifting heavy enough? (If you're doing things like swapping compound movements for isolation lifts as you alluded to in the other thread, that might also be part of your problem.....)

If you haven't, you might download the ebook from Layne's website, which has several pages of info.

Yup, I said he's not lifting heavy enough then.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    If you think PHAT is easy, you ain't doing it right.

+1 No way you will find it easy if you are doing it the way you are supposed to.
  • not_a_runner
    Options

+1 No way you will find it easy if you are doing it the way you are supposed to.

In another thread it sounded like he was using a 'multi gym machine' for some of the workouts as well. So, not even close to following as written..
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

In another thread it sounded like he was using a 'multi gym machine' for some of the workouts as well. So, not even close to following as written..

Trust me, I'm beyond exasperated with this now LOL
  • not_a_runner
    Options

How many threads have there been this week.....? lol :s
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

How many threads have there been this week.....? lol :s

Unfortunately I can't look away from this train wreck!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

Yup, I said he's not lifting heavy enough then.

It might not be that. I just don't think he's doing it as written/right.

OP I did PHAT while I was injured, so I couldn't squat or deadlift from the floor and it's the best I've ever looked in my life during that time. The volume is pretty high. You have to keep up with the overload and run the program correctly if you want results.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    I still don't know what a multi gym machine is.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I still don't know what a multi gym machine is.

A home gym machine with a few stations bolted to it.
  • not_a_runner
    Options
    I say /thread here because we've already established that PHUL is a step backwards compared to PHAT. I'm not sure why OP felt the need for another thread when this was already well established...
  • bbell1985
    Options
    mmk agree

/thread

• Davidsdottir
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I agree with what @usmcmp said completely.
This discussion has been closed.