Bodybuilding Personal Trainer Certification

Options
Hi, I am new to Myfitnesspal. My name is Billy.

I wanted to ask, which personal training certification everyone would recommend I obtain to focus on bodybuilding. Thanks!

Replies

• JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Options

I wanted to ask, which personal training certification everyone would recommend I obtain to focus on bodybuilding. Thanks!

I'd email somebody like John Meadows (Mountain Dog Training), Shelby Starnes, or even Layne Norton to see what they think. Try and find somebody with a background in prepping bodybuilders. It might exist, but I'm not aware of one specific to bodybuilding, at least not a legit one. NASM's OPT model has hypertrophy programming but there's just so much more that goes into prepping a bodybuilder for the stage, much of it is experience too. As familiar as I am with NASM, if somebody came to me for such help; I'd suggest only getting them started until they found a coach specific to that point because bodybuilding prep is definitely not my background.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    JAYxMSxPES wrote: »

I'd email somebody like John Meadows (Mountain Dog Training), Shelby Starnes, or even Layne Norton to see what they think. Try and find somebody with a background in prepping bodybuilders. It might exist, but I'm not aware of one specific to bodybuilding, at least not a legit one. NASM's OPT model has hypertrophy programming but there's just so much more that goes into prepping a bodybuilder for the stage, much of it is experience too. As familiar as I am with NASM, if somebody came to me for such help; I'd suggest only getting them started until they found a coach specific to that point because bodybuilding prep is definitely not my background.

Shredded by science is a year long program that is largely focused on body building. And it run by Eric Helms
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    JAYxMSxPES wrote: »

Shredded by science is a year long program that is largely focused on body building. And it run by Eric Helms

That's good to know, didn't realize he wrote one. Thanks
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Clients don’t care what you have. NASM NAFC ISSA NASCA ACE LENNYINTHEDBA it’s all just a bunch of letters to them. In the last two years since, I’ve branched out and added PT, no one has ever asked where my certification is from. In fact the owner of the studio I take my PT clients at is not currently certified.

Pro-tip: spend as little as possible unless the employer du jur requires a specific one.