Losing weight building muscle

Options
Hi,

Does anyone have any tips for shakes/powders for muscle building? That are low in fat/calories.. I currently use My Protein powder and Bcca ... this might already be the best thing for me but I’m just using this post to see if anyone has advice and to speak to the people in the same boat as me (turning excess fat in to muscle)

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    @mooreyboy I am moving this to the body building board, you should get better answers over there.
  • Mooreyboy
    Mooreyboy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I meant it now in that context just as in I want to lose weight and build muscle, this is where I’m
    Not sure I’m pretty useless with this stuff, I’m 6 ft 3 and currently 21 stone aiming for 19 st
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Eat more meat - chicken, pork, beef, lamb....unless you are vege or vegan?
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Are you recomping right now?
    How many calories are you eating and what does your protein numbers look like?
    I'd get rid of the bcaa , it's worthless.
  • Mooreyboy
    Options
    In a way, I’m not looking to become ripped by any sorts, I’m just looking to lose fat and build muscle in the stated areas. Currently I probably have about 2,000 calories a day (not that I have counted which is why I have just joined this app) it states my intake should be 3,200 ...
  • Mooreyboy
    Options
    No I am not vegan or vegetarian, I eat plenty of those meats and try to cut out as many carbs as I can in the week even though they’re my best worst enemy
  • Mooreyboy
    Options
    Okay thank you for your help. Didn’t know if cutting carbs would help with my weight loss
  • andreascjonsson
    andreascjonsson Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Isnt losing weight and gaining muscle mass close to impossible unless you are increadibly rigourus and dedicated? Losing fat and gaining muscle is possible but losing weight, ive never seen someone who is not extremely experienced or that has a weight controlled sport do this.
  • Mooreyboy
    Options
    To be honest mate 2 stone isn’t an awful lot to lose and I’m more focused of losing ‘fat’ round my mid section and chest area while toning it and building muscle in my arms, shoulders chest and core. When I say lose weight I think I should had said lose body fat, Was just after any advice in terms of any supplements that can aid this as my work in the gym is good and I’m feeling fit but anything advice from someone in a similar position or was in a similar position in terms of aiding the process is what I’m after
  • Mooreyboy
    Options
    My diet isn’t perfect and I have off days but in the week during Monday to Friday my work days I eat pretty healthy, but I joined this app to try and understand the actual amounts of intake I need to reach my goals faster and more efficient
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Mooreyboy wrote: »
    No I am not vegan or vegetarian, I eat plenty of those meats and try to cut out as many carbs as I can in the week even though they’re my best worst enemy

No need to cut carbs, they help fuel workouts and are protein sparing.

Lift weights on a progressive program, eat at least .8 to 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass. Whey is helpful in hitting your protein goal. BCAAs are useless base an almost all of the recent research and can actual interfere with effective Muscle Protein Synthesis.

You may get some newbie gains if you are new to weight lifting or returning from a layoff. You may get some muscle gains if you are obese. Mostly you will hope to preserve muscle mass and likely will be limited in gains after an initial period.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Just keep up your strength training program and run a small calorie deficit. (250-500) while keeping adequate protein intake. There's no secrets or magic combinations.
  • Mooreyboy
    Options
    Looks as if I should cut the BCCA’s out then, I’ll Stick with the whey protein to ensure I’m getting my intake, I’ve been lifting for about 6 months now and can definitely see changes progressively in my arms chest and shoulders still, I still have some excess fat around chest area and mid section to lose, so just hitting cardio at least 3 times a week to support the weight loss. I don’t know how long newbie gains/muscle is meant to last
  • Mooreyboy
    Options
    When you say calorie deficit what do you mean by those numbers
  • ricka1962
    ricka1962 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    He means taking in slightly less calories than you are burning. So if you require 2300 calories to maintain your weight, then modify your eating to takin 1950-2000 calories so that you are eating 300-350 calories LESS than you need. Best to be in a deficit when including calories burned through training as well. Not just 350 cal off just from eating.

Also, at the same time ensure your protein is roughly 1 gram per pound of lean muscle mass. To determine lean muscle take your weight and subtract the body fat %. So if you weight 200lbs with 10% fat, your lean body weight is 180lbs. and your protein intake would be roughly 180g per day.

The idea is the deficit burns fat, while the protein keeps existing and slightly gains muscle. This is a slower process than bulking/cutting, think 2-3 lbs of new muscle over the course of a year. Your weight roughly stays the same, but your body composition is now less fat and more muscle so there is a bigger visual difference.
  • Mooreyboy
    Options
    Thank you mate that has set my mind clear.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Isnt losing weight and gaining muscle mass close to impossible unless you are increadibly rigourus and dedicated? Losing fat and gaining muscle is possible but losing weight, ive never seen someone who is not extremely experienced or that has a weight controlled sport do this.

I've done it and I'm not all that experienced and am not engaged in any competitive sports. However, have been pretty riguorous and dedicated in making the effort.

Lost weight and gained LBM while in maintenance over 13 months after losing 42# in the 6 months b4 that by weighing myself daily, logging and controlling what I ate w/MFP and doing heavy progressive lifting 3 days/wk plus cardio.

I lost more fat than I gained LBM but you don't need to lose/gain much to have a huge effect on your BF%.

You can read how I did it in my "Ready to Recomp" thread in the Maintaing Weight subforum. Just do a search to find it.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    You don't need to waste your money on protein shakes/powders, etc.

Just eat a balanced diet at your appropriate calorie level and train hard with weights.

Hard doesn't mean to do endless exercises and spend hours in the gym.

Train hard for at most 1 1/2 hours a few days a week with a balanced routine using compound movements.