Calories question- weight loss

Options
myfpsummer
myfpsummer Posts: 15 Member
If I was to increase my calories now for 3 weeks (before I start a more structured and intense exercise routine and cut my calories by around 400 in 3 weeks time) would it make it easier to lose weight then because I have a higher caloric starting point and my body will be in a larger deficit?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused at your goals here.

What are you doing right now calorie wise? What are your stats?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    myfpsummer wrote: »
    If I was to increase my calories now for 3 weeks (before I start a more structured and intense exercise routine and cut my calories by around 400 in 3 weeks time) would it make it easier to lose weight then because I have a higher caloric starting point and my body will be in a larger deficit?

My apologies if my elderly brain has confused you with someone else but didn't you recently post that you are only currently weighing 40kg (88lbs)?

Increasing calories now would then be entirely sensible but why would you be thinking of losing weight in 3 weeks time?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    If the above is true which it seems to be based on your thread history, definitely increase the cals and keep them up to gain. Do not lose weight. You are underweight. Listen to the advice in your other thread. If you still have thoughts on losing weight then I would speak to a professional, you don't want to risk your health here.
  • myfpsummer
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

My apologies if my elderly brain has confused you with someone else but didn't you recently post that you are only currently weighing 40kg (88lbs)?

Increasing calories now would then be entirely sensible but why would you be thinking of losing weight in 3 weeks time?

Don’t worry haha you’re not going mad yes it’s the same person!
    The reason I’m wanting to lose weight is because I’m not happy where I am and if I then want to go on to weight training (not soon) I’m thinking I may have a better base to build muscle from? Please Correct me if I’m wrong though because I’m a total newbie and don’t know anything about this!
  • myfpsummer
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    If the above is true which it seems to be based on your thread history, definitely increase the cals and keep them up to gain. Do not lose weight. You are underweight. Listen to the advice in your other thread. If you still have thoughts on losing weight then I would speak to a professional, you don't want to risk your health here.

Thanks for your advice, as a rough estimate what would you advise I increase my cals to? And how quickly after increasing would you expect to start seeing gains? As in real gains (fat or muscle) not just food weight in the system?

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Don’t worry haha you’re not going mad yes it’s the same person!
    The reason I’m wanting to lose weight is because I’m not happy where I am and if I then want to go on to weight training (not soon) I’m thinking I may have a better base to build muscle from? Please Correct me if I’m wrong though because I’m a total newbie and don’t know anything about this!

You are far too light to be considering any kind of deficit. Really IMHO your priority is fixing your underweight problem. That's a health problem not an aesthetics problem.

I'm actually quite glad you are unhappy where you are - but the fix is not to make the problem worse by eating less, it's by eating more. If you are struggling to eat enough then you need to cut back your exercise, not increase it and increase the stress on your body when it doesn't have the resources to cope with that stress.

Please put your health first. Don't be too stubborn to seek professional help, your posts are very alarming and I don't think you grasp quite how alarming they are.
  • myfpsummer
    Options
    @sijomial thanks for that, by doing little activity how much/what amount roughly would you recommend I increase to and what sort of time frame or how quickly would you expect to see gains? (Fat/muscle) not just food weight
  • myfpsummer
    Options
    Sorry but I'm not qualified to answer you, I'm just a concerned Dad.

It's where professional guidance would come in.
    [/quote]

Ok well thank you, it’s been really helpful