Too early to start bulking?

Options
I have recently started getting back in the gym. I am not overweight, but I have a higher body fat percentage than I'm "supposed to". I'm a black female (I think that detail matters) 5'5 and weight about 155 with a body fat % of about 22. I talked to a trainer and they said that it's a little high, putting me at risk for health problems in the future. Though I don't want to loose weight, I'd like to lose belly fat (my pooch) and gain lean muscle and tone my body. After doing a bit of research some say it's best to lose body fat before bulking because the food surplus might convert to more fat rather than muscle if I start now. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    As you are a woman and 22% BF isn't too bad to bulk with but I think many would recommend you aim for around 20% before bulking. Not sure what your personal trainer is talking about but 22% is not high at all for a woman and actually puts you in the "lean" category, but based on your height and weight stats, your PT's reaction and that you are not trained I have my suspicions that your BF% is much higher than 22% since your BMI is just over 25 and puts you into the overweight category. I'm not sure how you are accessing your BF% so getting an accurate measure is probably a first step here.

I would cut first since you are probably too high until you are leaner. The research you mention likely refers to the P ratio and what you have learned is true. Lower BF leads to more muscle gain while higher BF lead to more fat gain.

Good luck you on your new program.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    How did he measure it? Since 22% is well within healthy levels for a female. And with your height/weight that is pretty lean.

You do have a few options. You can maintain your weight and recomp, so lose fat and build muscle over time. This can be slow and may not be in line with your goals if you really want to gain.

Otherwise you can cut down a bit more, then bulk..ideally you want to start a bulk leaner for muscle vs too much fat gain like you mentioned. For females it will be approximately 20% and under.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I have recently started getting back in the gym. I am not overweight, but I have a higher body fat percentage than I'm "supposed to". I'm a black female (I think that detail matters) 5'5 and weight about 155 with a body fat % of about 22. I talked to a trainer and they said that it's a little high, putting me at risk for health problems in the future. Though I don't want to loose weight, I'd like to lose belly fat (my pooch) and gain lean muscle and tone my body. After doing a bit of research some say it's best to lose body fat before bulking because the food surplus might convert to more fat rather than muscle if I start now. Any suggestions?

No offense to your trainer but 22% for Women is actually pretty good. As for your weight and height which is your BMI, that is in normal range. Your numbers look good in my opinion. I would not necessarily bulk, maybe eat at maintence with SLIGHT deficit and start a good weight lifting routine with cardio in the mix. But not sure if you're at a point for bulking necessarily if you're already trying to get rid of the belly fat, as bulking may enhance that since when you eat at caloric surplus to build muscle, unfortunately some fat will come with that too, it's difficult to just gain muscle and zero fat.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. If you don't already lift, I find it difficult to believe that 22% is accurate. For reference, I'm also 5'5" and weigh 136 at 18.5% body fat. I've been running bulk/cut cycles for the last five years.

Dang you must look like a powerhouse and ultra ripped when you are not bulking. So jelly ;)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I agree with the above. If you don't already lift, I find it difficult to believe that 22% is accurate. For reference, I'm also 5'5" and weigh 136 at 18.5% body fat. I've been running bulk/cut cycles for the last five years.

Dang you must look like a powerhouse and ultra ripped when you are not bulking. So jelly ;)

Oh, I happen to have a pic of her from her last cut...

cull47f23lbq.jpg
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Oh, I happen to have a pic of her from her last cut...

cull47f23lbq.jpg

You guys are way too sweet. Honestly, I don't really think I even look like I lift.