Leg press vs. Squat

Options
I think most of know that the squat is a far superior exercise then the leg press but I am wondering what your working weight is with both and your max. My working weight is around 820 on the leg press and 315 on the squat. Max is over 1,000 on the leg press and 455 on the squat. Working weight is normally 3-4 sets of 10-12.

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I've never 1RM on leg press, but last week I did 540# for 3x12 at the end of a heavy leg day. Squat 1RM is 210#.
  • MichaelK1007
    MichaelK1007 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've never 1RM on leg press, but last week I did 540# for 3x12 at the end of a heavy leg day. Squat 1RM is 210#.

540 is great for a working set.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    The leverage on most modern leg press machines distorts the poundages greatly.

Barbells squats involve many more muscles than leg presses but if you are unable to do barbell squats for some reason (injury, lack of equipment, etc.) then leg presses are fine.

You will need to do some back work to make up the difference such as barbell rows, or deadlifting.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    No idea...I only use leg press for single leg stuff and it's light weight, most I can rep out in 20 seconds
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    billkansas wrote: »
    I consider myself among the best (if not the best) at my gym of older men who actually squat (below parallel). My best for 3 sets of 5 reps is 305#. Not great compared to the freaks of nature on this forum, but I'm proud of it nonetheless. I'm 49 and 6'2". Most guys my age that squat do what I call a half or three-quarter squat- doesn't count for squat :p in my opinion!

I'm glad you are squatting. Keep it up.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I think most of know that the squat is a far superior exercise then the leg press but I am wondering what your working weight is with both and your max. My working weight is around 820 on the leg press and 315 on the squat. Max is over 1,000 on the leg press and 455 on the squat. Working weight is normally 3-4 sets of 10-12.

Wow, 820, that's awesome!! I'm around 610-620 for a good 5-6 reps, but feel some pain in my lower back sometimes after.
  • jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm 47, 6'1'', about 205 lbs. I squat 225 x 6, haven't tested a max. I can do reps with 630lbs about 6 - 8 times on the leg press, never maxed. I mainly do squats and deadlifts, I don't use leg press much anymore.

This morning, I deadlifted 315lbs x 3 times, haven't maxed that either. But then I see this guy that is probably in his mid 20's or so, great shape, do 315lb like it's nothing, and maxed around 455 pretty easy, probably could have done more.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    My gym has a crappy leg press where you press yourself + weight stack, I don't think it even goes to 400. Plus the ROM sucks (maybe because I'm short).
    When I was using it regularly I was probably working around '250' (plus body weight?) for sets of 20-30.

I was squatting 275x8 at the time.
  • jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Another thing I just started in the past week, adding to legs, is Goblet Squats, I love them. Beat up your quads pretty good.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    When I am using leg press as the main focus of my workout, I will generally do 10x10 at somewhere in the 500-550 range. And that is my whole workout, plus some calf work.

Squat, I will pyramid up. Maybe 185x8, 225x8, 275x4-6, 315x1-2, then drop back down to 225 for 1-2 sets of 6-8. Then I will do several other exercises, and sometimes (depending on how my back and my legs are holding out), finish off with 3-4 sets of 6-8 on leg press at about 360-400.

Squat 1RM is 345 at 180 lbs body weight. No idea about leg press max.
  • MichaelK1007
    Options
    jflongo wrote: »
    Another thing I just started in the past week, adding to legs, is Goblet Squats, I love them. Beat up your quads pretty good.

A few months ago I was doing giant sets of squats followed by goblets squats then walking lunges. My legs were shot after that and I could barely walk much less use the bathroom for the next several days. Lol.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    The leverage on most modern leg press machines distorts the poundages greatly.

Barbells squats involve many more muscles than leg presses but if you are unable to do barbell squats for some reason (injury, lack of equipment, etc.) then leg presses are fine.

You will need to do some back work to make up the difference such as barbell rows, or deadlifting.

So true, I have 2 leg press machines at the gym and I don't use the same weight on either leg press, one seems heavier af than the other.
  • Strongerxthanxyesterday
    Options
    12 reps at 315#
  • Strongerxthanxyesterday
    Options
    .....mind blown
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Most unsubtle “I can leg press 1000lbs” thread ever.

In all honesty, no serious lifter is ever going to give a ***** what you leg press. The most important question is, are you making the lower body progress that you are seeking?

But that's why the leg press is so much fun. :)
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

In all honesty, no serious lifter is ever going to give a ***** what you leg press. The most important question is, are you making the lower body progress that you are seeking?

But that's why the leg press is so much fun. :)

Honestly heavy squat with perfect form and depth is more impressive than the leg press machine.
  • MichaelK1007
    Options

I couldn’t agree more which is why I started this post. While the leg press can be helpful if you cannot squat it just proves the amount you leg press has nothing to do with how much one can actually squat.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

I couldn’t agree more which is why I started this post. While the leg press can be helpful if you cannot squat it just proves the amount you leg press has nothing to do with how much one can actually squat.

My legs have gotten stronger and I have gotten stronger overall, I don't squat, I leg press instead and have made progress with the leg press. I agree Squat is a great exercise but leg press works my entire lower body just fine and gets the job done, I'm happy with myself that I even do legs lol.