Stronglifts question...

Options
I’m going to switch out front squats for back since I reached my goal of 250. Does this make sense?

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Not really. Why not keep going and getting stronger?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    If your goal us to get weakerthantoday, then give it a whirl.
  • Strongerxthanxyesterday
    Options
    Thanks Chief! :*
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    If there is a reason you want to halt progress than please let us know. Front squats are a good lift but what are your goals and if 5x5 isn't filling that bill than why not find another suitable program altogether?
    Options
    Why not build up my front squat or at least rotate front and back each workout??
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Why not build up my front squat or at least rotate front and back each workout??

What are you goals? That's the why or why not you have to answer.
    Options
    I’m currently trying to bulk, build muscle, etc.
  • Chieflrg
    edited March 2018
    Options

They are not interchangeable in the program. The program calls for back squats. If you want to get stronger and better at back squats, you don't do less back squats. Eventually you progress to more stimulas.

The question is for you, why would you think this would benefit you?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    I’m currently trying to bulk, build muscle, etc.

Than strong lifts might be the wrong program. It's not really a body building program and you might want to find a program with more volume and exercise selection. 5x5 is a minimalist program designed more for strength IMO.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Front squats really aren't interchangeable with back squats in the program, as others have said. If you are looking to try different lifts, you should look at moving into another program if 5x5 isn't keeping you interested.
  • Rose18l
    Rose18l Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Find a program that fits your goals, needs and keeps you interested. Furthermore follow the program you can't just swap stuff out.
    Options
    I want to be mike Tyson strong.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    I’m going to switch out front squats for back since I reached my goal of 250. Does this make sense?

Then you are no longer doing Stronglifts.

Nothing wrong w/that but then it's NOT a Stronglifts question. It's a question of whether there's any benefit to doing front vs back squats.

You can just Google for any number of articles that compare the 2 but IMO front squats are not an appropriate replacement for back squats - nothing really is - but could be a useful accessory lift depending on what your goals are.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Just follow the program as written. It works perfectly if you do. Once you can't progress as it's written then it is the time to look at other things. SL 5x5 will get you strong and since you are fairly new to lifting it will get you bigger. Once you lay down a good foundation of strength there are plenty of great hypertrophy programs just waiting for you.

I see you are a male from your profile. A 250lbs squat is good but you should be able to hit 315lbs with a bit of effort and 405lbs is achievable with a good amount of effort. I wouldn't aim so low if you "want to Tyson strong".

• billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Why not go for squat of 6 plates / 315#? If you rotate in front squats my guess if it will hurt your progress on back squats such that you may never make it.

When I started hitting reps with 315#, I felt like I was finally worthy of my place in the gym. My gym is filled with phenomenal bench pressers but almost no one, ever, squats 6 plates. Now, squats at 250 is a light day, and 315 is just another day at the office. B)
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    billkansas wrote: »
    Why not go for squat of 6 plates / 315#? If you rotate in front squats my guess if it will hurt your progress on back squats such that you may never make it.

When I started hitting reps with 315#, I felt like I was finally worthy of my place in the gym. My gym is filled with phenomenal bench pressers but almost no one, ever, squats 6 plates. Now, squats at 250 is a light day, and 315 is just another day at the office. B)

Don't you mean 3 plates? Does anybody actually count both sides when talking about their lifts?

To the OP: if you feel like you can handle more safely during a session, it wouldn't hurt to supplement the standard SL with a couple sets of front squats at the end of a workout, or try it lightly during one of the longer rest periods.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    naculp wrote: »

Don't you mean 3 plates? Does anybody actually count both sides when talking about their lifts?

To the OP: if you feel like you can handle more safely during a session, it wouldn't hurt to supplement the standard SL with a couple sets of front squats at the end of a workout, or try it lightly during one of the longer rest periods.

I only count 1 side LOL
  • Chieflrg
    edited March 2018
    Options
    naculp wrote: »

There is no need to supliment any lift on stronglift program. There is plenty of volume and intensity for any novice. The volume prescribed is relative to the recovery. It would certainly hurt progress as there would be less recovery for next session.

I only count 1 side LOL

One side is 3 plates bill ;).
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    This message board must need a reboot I'm getting credited for a Davidsdottir quote.

I can count and do math better than most of the muscleheads on this board LOL!
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited March 2018
    Options
    This message board must need a reboot I'm getting credited for a Davidsdottir quote.

I can count and do math better than most of the muscleheads on this board LOL!

What are you getting credited for that isn't correct?

You do realize there are a lot of us that have advanced degrees in sciences and maths, right?