A little help

Options
Help me hit 180 lbs.

In order to prevent a long winded post I will answer any and all questions regarding nutrition, personal schedule, work routine, fitness routine etc in order to get help in seeing where I may be going wrong.

I'm unable to meet my daily required caloric intake.

43yr old male
6 ft tall
170lbs at 20% bf

And go.....

Replies

• Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Why don't you have one big milkshake every day?
  • whitemountainhiker
    whitemountainhiker Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a gainer shake following workouts, 3 day a week split.
    1 cup oats
    Scoop whey
    Tbsp almond butter
    12 oz whole milk

I am having a hard time believing my metabolic rate hasn't slowed since my 20's.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    If you're a man at 20% body fat, you're already over the high end for finishing up a bulk. Why do you think you need to gain weight right now? Your gains will be primarily fat if you bulk this high.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    What are you hoping to look like at 180? 20% BF is reasonable but if you just bulk to 180 you'll likely be overweight when you get there.
  • whitemountainhiker
    Options
    If you're a man at 20% body fat, you're already over the high end for finishing up a bulk. Why do you think you need to gain weight right now? Your gains will be primarily fat if you bulk this high.

My weight seems to fluctuate pretty drastic, I am of the thinking I need to gain weight to even out my height to weight ratio, also to keep the fluctuations in check a little better because I walk between 6 to 12 miles daily at work. I attribute my bf% to a few years of daily pizza and steak bombs, over the past month and a half I have cleaned things up a bit.
  • whitemountainhiker
    Options
    What are you hoping to look like at 180? 20% BF is reasonable but if you just bulk to 180 you'll likely be overweight when you get there.

But my thinking is I'll lose it all very quickly. I don't sit at a desk. It's always been ruff to maintain for me, I'm either gaining or losing, no happy medium.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    Honestly, I really think you need to lean out before adding weight. Otherwise, you'll keep spinning your wheels because when you get to 180 you'll have a lot of fat to cut and you'll end up where you are now again. Lift, eat in a modest deficit, and reexamine where you're at body fat wise when you get to 160.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options

Why?

• whitemountainhiker
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »

Why?

I imagine because of the caloric expenditure required of my daily working life. Coupled with a sheer lack of appetite at times.
  • whitemountainhiker
    Options
    Honestly, I really think you need to lean out before adding weight. Otherwise, you'll keep spinning your wheels because when you get to 180 you'll have a lot of fat to cut and you'll end up where you are now again. Lift, eat in a modest deficit, and reexamine where you're at body fat wise when you get to 160.

I am afraid at 160lbs I'll look like some kind of strung out drug addict. I am not disagreeing though as I can see my bf is a little high,, that's if the weight watcher scale is right and accurate.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I imagine because of the caloric expenditure required of my daily working life. Coupled with a sheer lack of appetite at times.

It's not lack of appetite, it's lack of discipline.

Are you training hard enough? I know my appetite goes through the roof when I training.

You could always increase the amount of calorie dense foods you are eating.

• Davidsdottir
    Options

I am afraid at 160lbs I'll look like some kind of strung out drug addict. I am not disagreeing though as I can see my bf is a little high,, that's if the weight watcher scale is right and accurate.

Probable that it isn't. Can you post photos?
  • whitemountainhiker
    Options

Probable that it isn't. Can you post photos?

I will, I can see the scale being inaccurate because although my skin isn't looking like I been taking anavar, I can hardly pinch more than an inch of body with my fingers at any given point. But there is not much striation either.

I am more commonly called "skin and bones"