My metabolic rate is only 1266 should I east less?

Options
Hello,

I've just done an inbody check, and it tells me that my metabolic ratio is 1266 only while the normal is between 1336 and 1550..
My muscle is normal, it's 22.6 and the normal is 20.9 to 25.5. So it's not really because I'm lacking muscles..
Should l eat below 1266? 800 calories for example since l already burn only 1200?

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that means if you did absolutely nothing all day, just laid in bed all day, you'd burn 1266 cals. Unless you are in a coma, which you obviously are not or you couldn't have posted this question, your body burns more calories than that.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    That sounds like your BMR and no you should not eat under it. What are your goals?
  • jsminer827
    jsminer827 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If your BMR is 1266 that's not exactly abnormal... that says if you did nothing all day - literally laid in bed, you would burn 1,266 calories. If you don't eat at least that minimum, you are doing your body a disservice because you aren't giving it even the bare minimum it needs to function. You should not eat under your BMR - also why MFP minimum is 1200 calories.
  • Froggyh
    Froggyh Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you're quite short/small? Your BMR is pretty normal for a small woman. I just plugged 1.6m 45kg and age 30 into a calculator and got a BMR of or 1234 and a TDEE of 1480 for a sedentary lifestyle; bumping that up to moderate exercise gives that same imaginary woman a TDEE of 1920.

So if your BMR is 1266 and you exercise several times a week, then you probably want to be eating at least around 1500 calories a day.
  • Mirita09
    Mirita09 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    But I'm supposed to be eating those calories l burn exercising back to get at least 1200? That means I'll have a 66 calories deficit only?
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Mirita09 wrote: »
    But I'm supposed to be eating those calories l burn exercising back to get at least 1200? That means I'll have a 66 calories deficit only?

Are you laying around all day not moving at all?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,138 Member
    Options
    9iwvzmrv2hde.jpg
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Yes. You will want to net a minimum of 1200. So, if you Workout and burn say, 200 calories you would really be eating 1400 calories. That rate burned you listed of 1260 is only if you literally laid in bed all day long and never moved. Those are the calories you burn simply existing. This is not factoring in your daily activities of life. So, you would really be at a higher deficit then 60 calories a day if you ate and netted at 1200. I don't know your activity level, but there are plenty of calculators out there that will factor in your daily activity and tell you what you're really burning a day. Assuming you are between sedentary and lightly active you probably burn closer to 1360-1460 per day.

Try this one. https://tdeecalculator.net/
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is the rate your metabolism needs to maintain function as if you were in a comatose state. This number represents the number of calories you need simply to stay alive.

Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) represents the number of calories you need to fulfill basic daily functions along with all other physical activities.

What is your TDEE?
  • Mirita09
    Mirita09 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    9iwvzmrv2hde.jpg

I don't really understand the eat it back part to be honest..

Like if l burn 1266+500 exercis+200 activity = 1966, and then l make up for them by eating 1966 then what am l losing here???

I know this may seem off, but members here had told me on another discussion that l should eat all of the calories l burn exercising back! Even if that means l go beyond my 1200 calories goal..
  • Froggyh
    Froggyh Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    9iwvzmrv2hde.jpg

Like if l burn 1266+500 exercis+200 activity = 1966, and then l make up for them by eating 1966 then what am l losing here???

I know this may seem off, but members here had told me on another discussion that l should eat all of the calories l burn exercising back! Even if that means l go beyond my 1200 calories goal..

You don't eat back all your BMR and activity calories if you're following the calories provided by MFP and you've set your goals for weight loss. If, for instance, you've set your weight loss to be half a pound a week, then the calories allotted by MFP before exercise will subtract 250 calories from your BMR + activity amounts (so if, say, your daily burn between the two is 1600, then MFP will give you a goal of 1350).

Then if you do more exercise beyond your everyday activities, you would eat back THOSE calories so your net intake is still 1350, rather than being, say, 1050 because you burned 300 calories through exercise.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    sophyoak wrote: »
    Sorry to highjack but... Wait, what? My NET calories should not be below 1200? I don't get it. If my goal is 1200 kcals a day to lose 2 lbs per week, and I eat 1400, but I burn 400 so my NET is 1000. I should eat back another 200?

Yes you should but it also depends on how quickly you want to lose weight and how hungry you are.

Your net 1200 calories already includes a deficit to lose weight (2lbs/week) so netting 1000 calories just makes an already large deficit to be larger.

Larger deficits can lead to binging later, lack of energy and if done for a long period of time organ failure.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,138 Member
    Options
    9iwvzmrv2hde.jpg

I don't think you are reading this properly at all.

If your BMR is 1266, your normal daily burn on which you maintain (if you are sedentary) is 1582 (BMR x 1.25).

To lose weight you would set it to 0.5lbs per week loss (you don't have the stats to go lower than that safely, it will just cut you off at 1200) that would take you down to 1332.

If you then did a workout of 500 calories you would have your:

Calorie Goal 1332 + Exercise calories 500 = 1832

Your actual burn would be:

NEAT 1582 + Exercise Calories 500 = 2082

Difference is 250 calories which is how you would lose weight.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    sophyoak wrote: »
    Sorry to highjack but... Wait, what? My NET calories should not be below 1200? I don't get it. If my goal is 1200 kcals a day to lose 2 lbs per week, and I eat 1400, but I burn 400 so my NET is 1000. I should eat back another 200?

Yes, exactly.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I've just done an inbody check, and it tells me that my metabolic ratio is 1266 only while the normal is between 1336 and 1550..
    My muscle is normal, it's 22.6 and the normal is 20.9 to 25.5. So it's not really because I'm lacking muscles..
    Should l eat below 1266? 800 calories for example since l already burn only 1200?

Sure if you want to slowly die.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Metabolic rate if I'm correct is also known as your BMR or Basic Metabolic Rate, you should always be above that because that's the amount of calories you burning simply by being alive, you need to find out what your TDEE is which is the amount of calories you burn on a daily basis based on a number of factors, I believe it stands for Total Daily Energy Expenditure. These calories are what you should consume in order to maintain weight, to lose weight you want to go below that but start at 250 below, if you want to go aggressive, 500 below that could work but it's always good to start slow first. Hope that helps and makes more sense for you.