Pre work outs

Options
With so many pre workouts out there what do you guys recommend. My goals are to burn fat..leaner and stronger. I did buy some creative powder..how should I use it...or is this not what I need.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Coffee.

I'm not a PWO fan.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Pre-work out isn't really necessary unless you want caffeine or something to wake up before a morning session.

Heck, most of us don't even need post-workout powders/supplements.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    The only preworkout I drink is coffee. Marketing tells you preworkout is needed, when in fact it actually can hurt your performance in the long run.

Lately I've been soaking steel cut oats in protien powder with 3 grams of luecine overnight just as a lazy breakfast on the drive into the gym.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    My pre-workout is a caffeine pill and a glass of water.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Pre-workouts are definitely not needed by any means. If you feel the need to take one, my suggestion would be JYM's pre-workout. It actually has more to it than a ton of caffeine and some creatine. It has a good mix of different supplements that can improve performance and at the correct quantity or the quantities used in peer-reviewed studies. If you feel compelled to use one, that's my suggestion for you. But a PWO is definitely not needed.
  • sstout02
    sstout02 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yes creatine..thank you so much!

quote="jjpptt2;c-41609464"]I'm not familiar with creative power. Is that auto-correct for creatine?

Pre-workout drinks are largely overhyped, but if you prefer something off the shelf like that, then just look for caffeine and/or carbs/sugars. Those are really the only 2 things that matter when talking about a boost of energy.

I'll admit that I do like my energy shots.. but 90% of the time, a caffeine pill and a handful of gummy bears does the same thing for 1/10 the cost.

As for your goals.. burning fat and getting leaner - exercise can help, but most will see far better results if they focus on diet. Getting stronger... lots of ways to do that, but most find an established lifting program to be the most efficient/effective.[/quote]

• sstout02
    Options
    Creatine!! Sorry guys lol
  • sstout02
    Options
    I guess I feel into the hype I will stick to caffeine
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    sstout02 wrote: »
    I guess I feel into the hype I will stick to caffeine

You did haha. It's easy to do. I was actually mocking supplements that have pro bodybuilders on them asking the owner of the supp store if I'd look like them by taking that supplement. He wasn't impressed.

The best thing you can do is learn the game. That being.. everyone is will do everything they can to separate you from your money. Creatine is okay. But do not buy BCAA they're little more than drink flavouring.

Focus on your diet and an actual lifting program. Not something you conjured up. I'm sorry to say but whatever you come up with will be sub par and bear minimal results. That's not a dig or an insult. It's just fact, beginners have no idea what a lifting program requires.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Creatine isn't a PWO - have a read about it on examine.com to get guidance on use and dosage.

To answer your original question....
    My favourite PWO is plain old water unless I'm cycling hard for 2hrs plus then I'll be eating some carbs to top up my fuel levels.
    Personally mever felt the need for stimulants before working out.
  • kshearer13
    kshearer13 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I swear by my preworkout. I workout in the morning super early and so without it I'd never get up. I keep it by my bed so when my alarm goes off I can quickly shake it up and then by the time I put my workout clothes on it's started to kick in. Coffee would likely work too but I couldn't keep it by my bed and it would never kick in that quickly. I also do a lot of circuits, or plyometric movements, and weight/cardio combinations and I have so much more energy and power when I take it. I have found that I often burn 100-150 calories more per workout with it, than without it. I use C4 and I love it.
  • jessef593
    Options
    kshearer13 wrote: »
    I swear by my preworkout. I workout in the morning super early and so without it I'd never get up. I keep it by my bed so when my alarm goes off I can quickly shake it up and then by the time I put my workout clothes on it's started to kick in. Coffee would likely work too but I couldn't keep it by my bed and it would never kick in that quickly. I also do a lot of circuits, or plyometric movements, and weight/cardio combinations and I have so much more energy and power when I take it. I have found that I often burn 100-150 calories more per workout with it, than without it. I use C4 and I love it.

You do realize that stimulant feeling that you get from it is literally from the caffeine in your pre workout right?

You just happen to put back 200mg in 30s rather than about 110 in the course of 15 minutes.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

I'm up at 3:45 and at the gym by 4:30, and still don't use PWO. It is possible.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »

You do realize that stimulant feeling that you get from it is literally from the caffeine in your pre workout right?

You just happen to put back 200mg in 30s rather than about 110 in the course of 15 minutes.

Could also be the Beta alanine or Citrulline. Although C4 doesn't have enough to be useful, just enough to make you tingle
  • jessef593
    Options

Could also be the Beta alanine or Citrulline. Although C4 doesn't have enough to be useful, just enough to make you tingle

But neither are stimulants anyways. Both are fatigue fighters
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

What's the difference, real world?

Sincere question.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Not my point. The claim was stimulant feeling. For lots of people they’re referring to the niacin/ beta alanine flush aka parasthesia. And lots of folks rely on that to help them get it up to work out. Citrulline seems to enhance the flush/rush.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    My brother is a gym nut/supplement junkie and swears by Dymatize. I just ordered some for myself. After a long day of work and a long commute, I need something to give me a little energy to push through.