Pre work outs

Options

Replies

• butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I'm not looking for it to be a fat-burner of any sort...I need it strictly for energy.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My brother is a gym nut/supplement junkie and swears by Dymatize. I just ordered some for myself. After a long day of work and a long commute, I need something to give me a little energy to push through.

If you really feel you need it, checkout the JYM products. It's one of the few that is actually done right in-terms of PWO's. Not saying it's the only, just one of few.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I'm not looking for it to be a fat-burner of any sort...I need it strictly for energy.

That's all fat burners are. They're a stimulant and a bogus metabolism booster
  • jessef593
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    jessef593 wrote: »
    kshearer13 wrote: »
    I swear by my preworkout. I workout in the morning super early and so without it I'd never get up. I keep it by my bed so when my alarm goes off I can quickly shake it up and then by the time I put my workout clothes on it's started to kick in. Coffee would likely work too but I couldn't keep it by my bed and it would never kick in that quickly. I also do a lot of circuits, or plyometric movements, and weight/cardio combinations and I have so much more energy and power when I take it. I have found that I often burn 100-150 calories more per workout with it, than without it. I use C4 and I love it.

You do realize that stimulant feeling that you get from it is literally from the caffeine in your pre workout right?

You just happen to put back 200mg in 30s rather than about 110 in the course of 15 minutes.

Could also be the Beta alanine or Citrulline. Although C4 doesn't have enough to be useful, just enough to make you tingle

But neither are stimulants anyways. Both are fatigue fighters

What's the difference, real world?

Sincere question.

Stimulants.

Increase heart rate. Can cause your adrenal glands to excrete adrenaline. Stimulates your body.

Fatigue fighter.
    Increases the total workload of your skeletal muscle. Can reduce lactic acid, increase nutrient delivery to muscles, increase energy sources for your muscles.

In ways they're similar. But how they work is different.

Obviously not the most precise definitions. Not looking to start a debate.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    My pre-workout is a caffeine pill and a glass of water.

I wish I could take one with just water. It hurts my stomach without food. I take them on days I work since my day starts at 130am
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I swear by my preworkout. I workout in the morning super early and so without it I'd never get up. I keep it by my bed so when my alarm goes off I can quickly shake it up and then by the time I put my workout clothes on it's started to kick in. Coffee would likely work too but I couldn't keep it by my bed and it would never kick in that quickly. I also do a lot of circuits, or plyometric movements, and weight/cardio combinations and I have so much more energy and power when I take it. I have found that I often burn 100-150 calories more per workout with it, than without it. I use C4 and I love it.

You do realize that stimulant feeling that you get from it is literally from the caffeine in your pre workout right?

You just happen to put back 200mg in 30s rather than about 110 in the course of 15 minutes.

Could also be the Beta alanine or Citrulline. Although C4 doesn't have enough to be useful, just enough to make you tingle

Sincere question.

Stimulants.

Increase heart rate. Can cause your adrenal glands to excrete adrenaline. Stimulates your body.

Fatigue fighter.
    Increases the total workload of your skeletal muscle. Can reduce lactic acid, increase nutrient delivery to muscles, increase energy sources for your muscles.

Interesting, thanks.

@goatg
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the info, JJ.

Funny. In years past I've eliminated caffeine from my diet as to not impact my heart rate numbers and have lightly consumed after workouts to help recovery.

Of course....IM training & now on ~4-5 cups per day (but scaling back)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    JAYxMSxPES wrote: »
    My brother is a gym nut/supplement junkie and swears by Dymatize. I just ordered some for myself. After a long day of work and a long commute, I need something to give me a little energy to push through.

If you really feel you need it, checkout the JYM products. It's one of the few that is actually done right in-terms of PWO's. Not saying it's the only, just one of few.

That one seems ok. It has the minimal beneficial dose for Beta-Alanine and Citrulline Malate. Legion Pulse would be a better choice if one chose a pre workout. And it appears to be cheaper.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Sincere question.

Stimulants.

Fatigue fighter.

To add, Beta-Alanine has been shown to reduce fatigue and improve recovery in high volume workouts where rest is minimal and/or you are in the 15+ rep range. It is less or insignificant in a low volume workout.

L-CITRULINE or Citrulline Malate can increase blood flow and increase ATP which will allow for greater volume workouts. There is also evidence that it supports reduced fatigue post workout. Interestingly enough this gets less recognition that Beta-Alanine but it has more benefits and doesnt come with any side effects.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Coffee

straight, no chaser
  • jessef593
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Sincere question.

Stimulants.

Fatigue fighter.

To add, Beta-Alanine has been shown to reduce fatigue and improve recovery in high volume workouts where rest is minimal and/or you are in the 15+ rep range. It is less or insignificant in a low volume workout.

L-CITRULINE or Citrulline Malate can increase blood flow and increase ATP which will allow for greater volume workouts. There is also evidence that it supports reduced fatigue post workout. Interestingly enough this gets less recognition that Beta-Alanine but it has more benefits and doesnt come with any side effects.

Thanks lemon. I was pressed for time and couldn't go into as much detail as I wanted.

I personally think that beta alanine gets a larger recognition due to the fact that it has an actual feeling (paresthesia) that can be associated with it actually "working".

I personally would choose citrulline malate and creatine over anything out there. With the exception of multi vitamins and fish oil of course.
  • prescottgal7
    prescottgal7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been CrossFitting for about 4 months, and just started adding a pre-workout, and creatine. Creatine is cheap, but the brand I buy is SixStar - at WalMart no less. I also bought the SixStar pre-workout, since I figured I'm new at this I didn't want to spend a lot on something. I definitely notice a burst of energy with the pre-workout. I'n no super athlete but I did want to try something. I'm happy with what I'm using - at least for now, and I didn't break the bank buying the SixStar brand.
  • jessef593
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I've been CrossFitting for about 4 months, and just started adding a pre-workout, and creatine. Creatine is cheap, but the brand I buy is SixStar - at WalMart no less. I also bought the SixStar pre-workout, since I figured I'm new at this I didn't want to spend a lot on something. I definitely notice a burst of energy with the pre-workout. I'n no super athlete but I did want to try something. I'm happy with what I'm using - at least for now, and I didn't break the bank buying the SixStar brand.

I would avoid 6 star if at all possible. There's reasons why it's sold for so cheap in walmart. There's no true regulations as to what's in it.
  • kshearer13
    kshearer13 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Yah but the difference is preworkout is enjoyable. Coffee hurts my stomach, I would have to take the time to make it and drink it in the morning (couldn't leave it beside my bed), and generally I can only stomach it with more milk and sugar than actual coffee. And although the caffeine is the same, I feel so much better after C4 than coffee. So Id rather have preworkout. It also has creatine, beta-alanine, and B vitamins.
  • kshearer13
    kshearer13 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

I'm up at 3:45 and at the gym by 4:30, and still don't use PWO. It is possible.

It's possible, sure. But why would I do that when I can take preworkout and feel so much better. If you don't want to use it you don't have to.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I just crack up when people are like "coffee". I started drinking coffee in 7th grade. That's not pre-workout. If you don't take pre-workout there's no use in starting unless you're really struggling. Even then, a caffeine pill is stronger than most cups of coffee I think. I like all the stimulants but I'm a nut job. Don't be like me.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Yah but the difference is preworkout is enjoyable. Coffee hurts my stomach, I would have to take the time to make it and drink it in the morning (couldn't leave it beside my bed), and generally I can only stomach it with more milk and sugar than actual coffee. And although the caffeine is the same, I feel so much better after C4 than coffee. So Id rather have preworkout. It also has creatine, beta-alanine, and B vitamins.

That's definitely a subjective thing. I love coffee and can stomach it just fine (it's the first thing I do first thing in the morning every morning), but can't stand the way preworkout makes me feel. Jittery, flushed and sour stomach. I don't enjoy it at all.

How are you determining that you burn 100-150 calories more after taking a preworkout?
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Tried c4, wasn't a fan and the crap turns Rock solid pretty quick. Like coffee alot more.

Can't use either now, which sucks as I'm a zombie in the morning.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I just crack up when people are like "coffee". I started drinking coffee in 7th grade. That's not pre-workout. If you don't take pre-workout there's no use in starting unless you're really struggling. Even then, a caffeine pill is stronger than most cups of coffee I think. I like all the stimulants but I'm a nut job. Don't be like me.

You might like Re1gn or Arez if you like stimulants. Neither have DMAA but smash C4 like it’s a couple cups of coffee.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    sstout02 wrote: »
    With so many pre workouts out there what do you guys recommend. My goals are to burn fat..leaner and stronger. I did buy some creative powder..how should I use it...or is this not what I need.

Not needed. Waste...of...money.

Agree with previous poster to drink cup of coffee if you need a energy boost.