Why is MFP telling me to eat more calories after losing weight!? shouldn't i be eating less??

Options
I'm 5"8 160-161 pounds been this way for a few weeks (stalling) i had the settings on to lose 2Ibs weekly and i would have to eat 1480 to lose 2Lbs a week... (done that for a few weeks and stuck) Soooo now I have it lowered to lose 1 pound a week and lightly active (even tho i'm pretty moderately active) it says to lose a pound a week eat 1690 cals?!???? I'm so confused and sick of being stuck honestly... yes i log everything.. use a scale and all.. nothing! drink crap tons of water, my goal is 138-140 pounds and i'm tired of being stuck and scared that if i up the calories i will maintain or even Gain? what to do!?

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,658 Member
    Options
    huh? Have you previously lost weight on your previous setting? How much weight have you lost and over what period of time? How many weeks stuck is "a few weeks".

160lbs at 5ft 8" is in the normal weight range and switching to 1lb a week makes sense. Of course that will increase your caloric allowance: you are decreasing your deficit. This may or may not work depending on what is causing your stall including the fact that you may or may not be in a stall.

If you've changed nothing and you were losing fine before, then I suggest you use your new numbers, eat a little bit more, and continue to see what happens. Weight loss in the normal weight range is much more likely to occur in fits and starts as opposed to being a continuous downward process.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    You won't gain weight changing your deficit. Its still a deficit rather its 2, 1.5 or 1 pounds. And if I am reading your details correctly its less than .5 pound a week change.

I wonder how long you have been losing weight and how much you have lost so far?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I'm 5"8 160-161 pounds been this way for a few weeks (stalling) i had the settings on to lose 2Ibs weekly and i would have to eat 1480 to lose 2Lbs a week... (done that for a few weeks and stuck) Soooo now I have it lowered to lose 1 pound a week and lightly active (even tho i'm pretty moderately active) it says to lose a pound a week eat 1690 cals?!???? I'm so confused and sick of being stuck honestly... yes i log everything.. use a scale and all.. nothing! drink crap tons of water, my goal is 138-140 pounds and i'm tired of being stuck and scared that if i up the calories i will maintain or even Gain? what to do!?

Are you logging daily? Are you eating back exercise calories? Do you exercise?