How to eat well without cooking?

Options
bee_bee8
bee_bee8 Posts: 96 Member
This is kind of a short-term problem, but I’m going on vacation next week and don’t want to restock my kitchen right now with my usual perishables (fruits, veggies, and bread) because I won’t finish them and they’ll go bad. I’m only one person, so even the smallest amounts you can buy at the store will be too much for 3 days.

My question today is - what are some of your go-to meals from common chain restaurants (Wendy’s, Chipotle, subway etc) that don’t break the calorie bank? I’m pretty good about making low-cal things at home, but I struggle when I can’t cook. My biggest issue is I’m a volume eater, so settling for one tiny little burger off the dollar menu for dinner isn’t gonna cut it ;-) Does anyone know of any good options that aren’t so calorie-dense to hold me over for the weekend?

Thanks in advance :-)

Replies

• River314
    River314 Posts: 66 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Taco Bell has cantina items that are packed with protein. Also, if you order Fresco Style, it adds pico de gallo and takes away cheeses and site cream. A bean burrito fresco style is pretty good.

Burger King has a veggie burger that's pretty decent, but I'm not sure about calorie count.

Wendy's has some very good salad choices. There's a Mediterranean chicken salad that has lentils and hummus on it that's really tasty.

Chipotle...get a burrito bowl. You can put what you want in it, like meat, brown rice, veggies...

That's all I can think of for now...
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,595 Member
    Options
    I used to get the chopped chicken salad at Subway with avocado (sometimes), various veggies, and the sweet onion sauce as the dressing. Any other fast food place, I'd get the grilled chicken filet and a side salad (but you can get the full salads). I just liked to keep my lunch calories (the only time I went out to eat) at around 200 calories.
  • sfcrocker
    sfcrocker Posts: 163 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    These are my go-tos. They're fairly filling:

Wendy's baked potato with broccoli and small chili on top (480 calories); Chipotle burrito bowl--chicken, brown rice, black beans, and salsa (550 calories); Trader Joe's Harvest Salad with grilled chicken (420 calories) or Cranberry Walnut salad with chicken (340 calories); Carl's Junior turkey burger no mayo, add extra mustard from home (400 calories); Jack in the Box Fajita Pita (360 calories); Sonic grilled chicken sandwich (450 calories). I eat all of these when traveling.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,789 Member
    Options
    uncle bens 90 second ready rice and frozen veggies are great. you can just microwave them as needed. freeze individual servings of chicken or other meat then just thaw what you need (cook and freeze it, then no need to cook when you need it, just warm it up.

Subway I get a 6" veggie delight with 1/2 the cheese, load it up with veggies, and spicy mustard, its about 280 calories.
  • bee_bee8
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Do you need to eat out, or can you cook dishes at home that use only nonperishable foods? You can do a lot with canned or frozen foods, grains, etc. You could also buy prepackaged single serving foods, like frozen meals. All of those would give you more options than just whatever is on a chain restaurant menu.

That’s a very good point. I’ve gotten so used to always making the same recipes that use a lot of fresh veggies, I don’t always think of obvious solutions like that :D I do have pasta and rice in the cupboard already, I’ll look for some ways to spruce up those meals using some canned stuff instead of fresh. Thank you!

• bee_bee8
    Options
    sfcrocker wrote: »
    These are my go-tos. They're fairly filling:

Wendy's baked potato with broccoli and small chili on top (480 calories); Chipotle burrito bowl--chicken, brown rice, black beans, and salsa (550 calories); Trader Joe's Harvest Salad with grilled chicken (420 calories) or Cranberry Walnut salad with chicken (340 calories); Carl's Junior turkey burger no mayo, add extra mustard from home (400 calories); Jack in the Box Fajita Pita (360 calories); Sonic grilled chicken sandwich (450 calories). I eat all of these when traveling.

Very helpful! Those all sound good and calorie counts are pretty reasonable. Thanks so much.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Regular burger, side salad with vinaigrette dressing and unsweetened iced tea comes in under 400 calories generally.
    Couple of slices of thin crust pizza with a side salad.
    From Subway I get the 6" Italian BMT on wheat bread with spinach, tomato, olives, peppers, onion, tomato and vinaigrette. It is about 380 calories.
    I like the Wendy's power mediterranean chicken salad. It is very filling. I get the full size.
  • speekee
    speekee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Panera, esp salads and Zoe’s kitchen....both list the calories, too, which I find helpful.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Just buy small amounts of fresh veggies? One or two little broccoli crowns, etc. Plan your meals around what you have, and make sure they get eaten before you leave.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    bee_bee8 wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »
    Do you need to eat out, or can you cook dishes at home that use only nonperishable foods? You can do a lot with canned or frozen foods, grains, etc. You could also buy prepackaged single serving foods, like frozen meals. All of those would give you more options than just whatever is on a chain restaurant menu.

That’s a very good point. I’ve gotten so used to always making the same recipes that use a lot of fresh veggies, I don’t always think of obvious solutions like that :D I do have pasta and rice in the cupboard already, I’ll look for some ways to spruce up those meals using some canned stuff instead of fresh. Thank you!

Bird Eyes have nice frozen steamable selections. They are in the 300 calories range for one serving but you can cook a package and eat half for lunch or dinner and the rest the next day, fit it doesn't fit your calories per meal or day.

You can also buy frozen vegetables (peas and carrots?) to mix with pasta or rice. The vegetables will keep in your freezer if you don't use the whole package. Canned beans with eggs, yogurt, canned tuna, etc.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I agree with just buying things that won't go bad. And, depending on how long you are gone for, there are many fresh options that won't spoil quickly.

frozen veg
    apples, oranges, pears
    potato
    carrots
    frozen chicken
    1/2 dozen eggs
    oatmeal
    rice
    pasta
    tortillas (6 pack)
    individual yogurts
    shredded cheese
    canned soup
    canned beans

One of my favorite meals - canned minestrone soup poured over cooked broccoli and cauliflower with artichoke hearts, sundried tomato, grilled chicken and feta cheese.
  • R_U_B_E_N_S
    R_U_B_E_N_S Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    same issue here, I now go for ready made salads but they still plenty of fat :neutral:
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,390 Member
    Options
    Simple: buy dry pasta of choice, tinned tomatoes, tinned tuna or chorizo, garlic. Make pasta for three days with either tuna (bit of sugar into sauce) or chorizo, repeat. The dry pasta and garlic won't spoil in the meantime.