Unable to diet

Options
Well this probably isn't too surprising, but after a week of doing nothing and eating a high carb high sugar diet, I gained some weight (about four pounds if that is possible). I was dieting up until six months ago, and have gained five pounds (on top of the four pounds) since then, probably due to life style changes, and some over eating (I went from teaching to a desk job). I have tried dieting again, but I have found that I can not eat less, I will stay up at night until I have eaten 1800-200 calories, it doesn't matter what I do at the moment. I used to be able to eat a lot less...what gives??

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When you say you can't eat less, what exactly do you mean? What happens exactly when you try to eat less?
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand either, is there a medical reason you cannot eat less?
  • Lyndauk86
    Lyndauk86 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What is a honey bun habit? Well I try to eat wholemeal carbs, and to have around 50 percent of my calorie intact from them, if that, and up my protein. I just get so damn hungry I can't seem to eat to a deficit. I am trying to cut back on calories slowly (say fifty calories a week), as I did this when I first started dieting, and it seemed to work.
  • Lyndauk86
    Options
    If I eat less, my body keeps me awake at night until I have eaten more.
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    How is your protein? And are you getting at least 25g fiber per day? If you have an adequate amount of protein and fiber it could help for you to experiment with your carbs and fats to see if a diet higher in one is better for you.
  • Lyndauk86
    Options
    I was able to eat at a deficit for about 3-4 years, so I don't know if my body is just having a strong reaction to anything other than normal eating at the moment. I work full time so not sleeping until two in the morning because I am hungry doesn't really work for me.

This week my protein was up to 105. My fibre is about 25g a day. I might try out high GNI foods, perhaps I am just not staying full long enough. When I dieted the first time I didn't exercise everyday like I do now, and I wonder if it is just harder to cope with hunger cravings as a consequence.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Lyndauk86 wrote: »
    I was able to eat at a deficit for about 3-4 years, so I don't know if my body is just having a strong reaction to anything other than normal eating at the moment. I work full time so not sleeping until two in the morning because I am hungry doesn't really work for me.

This week my protein was up to 105. My fibre is about 25g a day. I might try out high GNI foods, perhaps I am just not staying full long enough. When I dieted the first time I didn't exercise everyday like I do now, and I wonder if it is just harder to cope with hunger cravings as a consequence.

So you are exercising every day? At what intensity? Could it be you need to be eating around 1800/day?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It would help if we knew your height/weight/age and exercise habits as well as what you have MFP to. 1/2 a pound a week? 1 pound a week? What's your goal weight?
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Lyndauk86 wrote: »
    What is a honey bun habit? Well I try to eat wholemeal carbs, and to have around 50 percent of my calorie intact from them, if that, and up my protein. I just get so damn hungry I can't seem to eat to a deficit. I am trying to cut back on calories slowly (say fifty calories a week), as I did this when I first started dieting, and it seemed to work.

You can transition slowly if you like. I've known people who were successful by making small changes at a time. First they cut out "empty" calories that didn't make them feel full, like sweet beverages. Then they slowly reduced portions. It's most likely not your body that is having the issues, it's your mind and your (lack of) willpower. I can get like that when I'm having a hard time at work (stress) I start feeling my I'm starving despite knowing darn well I've eaten plenty for the day. Once you recognize your pattern you can choose other solutions, what works for me is to grab a bottle of water, take a quick walk, and if I'm still feeling like that than maybe I'll make myself a hot tea to feel like I'm consuming something nice and warm (comforting for me).
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Moved post to your other identical thread.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Yes, if you eat more you are likely to gain weight. I am unclear if your gain has been for 1 week or 6 months. If it's just a week, it's mostly water retention. High-carb contributes to a lot of water retention weight. I suggest you seek out more satisfying food high in protein and even a little fat. This should help you feel less hungry within your calorie goal. Everyone has to experiment with the satiety of different foods for them. High carb is the worst for making you feel ravenous ALL the time. This is why our changes need to be "for life" and not just a "diet." You are right that NOW is the time to get this in check.
  • Lyndauk86
    Options
    Yes, for sure I agree with most of all the above. I am 5 foot 2 and a half, 31 years old, and my original target was around 9 and a half stone, but most people said I looked fine around ten. I gained seven pounds between November 2017-March 2018, and then I had a massively bad week last week (and it was my period) and gained around three to four pounds (and I know some of it is fat).

I exercise for half an hour to an hour a day (HIIT, two to three sessions of strength, martial arts), and I have just started walking about three miles a day. I walked more when I was nine and a half stone, and I wondered if perhaps it would help me to bring that back into my life style (I went from teaching to a desk job from November last year, probably part of the weight gain, and Xmas was ultra heavy).

I don't mind being ten stone, at the end of the day, but I don't want to be above that, hence the attempts at dieting.

It could be lack of willpower in the sense of putting my performance and sleep above any attempt at dieting. Maybe I was more willing to stick out the hunger pains when I had a part time job which didn't start at nine and could afford "£$%^ sleep. Don't know...can't actually remember too well. I used to just have a bowl of porridge and I wouldn't be hungry again, or it was less likely, now it doesn't seem to work.