Scoop of icecream?

Options
I'm trying to work out how many calories in a scoop if mint choc carte dor ice cream. The mfp listing says a serving or 100ml...how many ml in a scoop?

Replies

• MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Um. Depends on your scoop... lol That's why people encourage the use of a food scale so often. :wink:
  • xxmarysmxx
    xxmarysmxx Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    What is the serving size? How much is in that scoop?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to tell without a scale, plus there are so many variations of what a 'scoop' is.. and I don't think all ice creams weigh the same either.

We have Breyers here and a small 'standard' scoop and 3 of those are about 45g (2/3 of a 1/2 cup serving), if that helps any...
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    1ml of ice cream takes up the same amount of space as 1ml of water
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    And this is why when I eat ice cream I opt for a pint of Ben & Jerry's -- much easier to count calories by the pint instead of the scoop.

OP, I'd call a scoop a 1/4 of a cup if it seemed like a pathetic scoop or 1/2 a cup if there was a decent amount of ice cream.

ETA:
    Or guess how much of the container the scoop was? Like for this entry a 6th of the container is one serving.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/walls-carte-dor-mint-choc-ice-cream-8732276
  • suzend
    suzend Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    usually a serving size of ice cream is 1/2 cup.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    473 ml in one scoop.
    but that just might be my scoop.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I am totally addicted to my food scale. Best 30 bucks I've ever spent
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    250 ml is one cup. So 100 ml is just under half a cup.
  • elpurple
    elpurple Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It was a shop bought icecream, just trying to estimate
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

Then I'd go on the high end and go with 1/2 or even 3/4 of a cup's worth.
  • LabAgility
    LabAgility Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    There are are 240 ml in a cup. So 100 ml is less than a half cup (120) but more than 1/3 cup (80).
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Various types of ice creams have various amounts of air and water. You cannot go by volume, even when you see "1/2 cup" on the label. Very rarely will a half cup actually be the gram measurement given.

Use a food scale, and measure by the gram.
  • PhoenixEve
    PhoenixEve Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Anyone else think of Brian Regan's comedy routine at the mention of ice cream serving sizes?

video here:
    http://youtu.be/LBko_3wT44Q

I can't help but laugh, every time.

1/2 cup of ice cream? ... i just kept eatin' and eatin' and eatin'... i must have had two spoonfuls!

:)
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options

Then I'd go on the high end and go with 1/2 or even 3/4 of a cup's worth.
    [/quote

I'd go with this measurement if it was a "kid sized" portion. If you could fit what you had in a coffee cup and not have much room left over, it's probably closer to a full cup or the 250ml someone else mentioned.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Shop bought I usually log like 350 calories for a scoop just in case. You never know what they put in there...
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Anyone else think of Brian Regan's comedy routine at the mention of ice cream serving sizes?

video here:

1/2 cup of ice cream? ... i just kept eatin' and eatin' and eatin'... i must have had two spoonfuls!

:laugh:
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Try searching by the name of the place you bought it at. Sometimes there are entries for a 1 scoop ice cream from so and so and you can use that... or just estimate how much of a cup it is... A good estimate is not going to vary that much from the actual amount. .. maybe what? 100 calories?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    250 ml is one cup. So 100 ml is just under half a cup.

Just want to point out this is for liquids. Unless you are planning on liquefying your ice cream before eating it, this isn't going to be very accurate. But for the now, yeah, I guess go with this and then tomorrow (or as soon as you can)..go get a food scale and start weighing things out.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

video here:

:laugh:

+1! :bigsmile: