yep, this me!

Options
But, I don't want to gain weight....I'm trying to lose! and yet, I'm gaining! i do realize that I have too big of a deficit most days, so that's not helping me! But......nothing is helping me! I've ate more calories, I ate less calories, I workout regularly, and i"ve gained 10lbs since this time last year. I do measure my food, and i do log EVERYTHING, even the bad stuff. I have had a few days here and there where my diary isn't complete, but i didn't have access to internet during those times to log. I don't weigh my food, but I certainly don't over eat either. I try to eat fresh foods as much as I can. I do eat a few packaged foods(snacks mostly). I'll take any advice, but I mainly just need to vent!
I'm 5'11, 168 lbs
39yrs old, female

I am just so very frustrated. yet I do keep working out. It's been this way(the weight gain, and no loss),since about February of this year. I also realize Muscle is built very slowly, so I know that weight gain isn't all muscle, yet I do feel firmer in areas, and tighter. I have gone up a size too! :( Anytime I get advice, I try it, and still nothing. :(

Replies

• djwife03
    djwife03 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    oops! wrong forum!!! sorry about that! I will put this post elsewhere!
  • Pmscur
    Pmscur Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I can relate. So maybe add me as a person to vent to.
    I have a crazy work schedule and since I teach Taekwondo I cannot log or eat during that time. I have seen Drs., dietitians, etc., and still weigh 174lbs. I log, I measure, but sometimes drink more shakes and water or coffee than food. I want to get out of my rut too , perhaps we can help each other.
    I am weaning myself off the coffee, and working on just 1 or 2 shakes a day to meet the calorie requirements I need.
    Do you know how to figure the calorie formula? I have seen it mentioned and am not sure what every one is talking about. It is the one thing no one else has ever discussed with me. I am wondering if that is where to start. Consistent calories so my body is not starving and storing.
    What do you think? You have been there and I am new to this system.
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Your height and weight sounds pretty good to me. Maybe that is a healthy weight and where your body wants to be. But if you want to reduce, I wonder when you say you try all this advice.... how long do you try it? I would think it would take at least a month for any change to start to work. My opinion, for what it is worth, is that you don't eat enough. Your body has adjusted to the low calorie intake and on the days where you do eat a little more it latches onto those calories and stores them for the days that you eat 1000 calories and burn 400. My suggestion would be to increase your calories by 100 each week until you get to your maintenance calories. Eat that for two weeks and then cut your calories down to what MFP says you need to have to lose one half pound a week. I lost 30 pounds and then hit a plateau, so I am in the process of doing this same thing. I am at 1800 calories right now with only minimal exercise and have not gained. So after another week or so, I plan to drop the calories and up the exercise and hopefully get the weight loss going again. Good luck to you.
  • djwife03
    Options
    Thank you! When I try people's advice I try it for a few weeks. I probably should eat more, but somedays it's difficult!
  • djwife03
    Options
    I can relate. So maybe add me as a person to vent to.
    I have a crazy work schedule and since I teach Taekwondo I cannot log or eat during that time. I have seen Drs., dietitians, etc., and still weigh 174lbs. I log, I measure, but sometimes drink more shakes and water or coffee than food. I want to get out of my rut too , perhaps we can help each other.
    I am weaning myself off the coffee, and working on just 1 or 2 shakes a day to meet the calorie requirements I need.
    Do you know how to figure the calorie formula? I have seen it mentioned and am not sure what every one is talking about. It is the one thing no one else has ever discussed with me. I am wondering if that is where to start. Consistent calories so my body is not starving and storing.
    What do you think? You have been there and I am new to this system.

I did do the calorie formula and also tdee formula.
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If you are continuing to gain weight, you have too many calories going in. This is what I have come to realize.

I can't go by calculated TDEE, it puts me at too high a calorie intake.

My BMR must be lower than the average person my size and shape.

Slowly cut your calories (maybe by 50 cal or so per day) every couple of weeks. When you start losing weight, you know you are on the right track. Figure out what works for you, do not be derailed by what works for other people.
  • addmorecloud
    addmorecloud Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Are you using a HRM to calculate burned calories? All I can think is that perhaps you're overestimating those.
    Good luck!
  • djwife03
    Options
    I have my cals set at 1560 and I never even meet that. I always have a large deficit . No HRM. Just an app on my phone that I can put my wieght in and the particular exercise Nd the minutes of exercise and it gives me to cal burn. Then I shave sown off of that total because I know it overestimates.