gaining weight and lifting light weights??

Options
Currently i do not have access to heavy weights so I make do with what i have. I have been on a "weight gaining diet" given to me by a nutritionist. i run around 18-20 miles /week,eat around 1400 on sedetary days, 1500-1600 on active/workout days. I need to gain 3-5 pounds but am concearned because of my 5'1" frame.

All i really have is a 10 pound kettle bell, resistance bands, 5 pound hand weights and body weight.

I have been doing lots of squats, and isolated movements (bicep curls, tricep kickbacks and all that jazz) but can i actually gain new muscle this way?

Any tips or advice?

Replies

• MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Look up a body weight training routine. Do you have a local park with a playground nearby? Because with those programs the only "equipment" you'd need is a place to do pullups.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to gain weight, why are you running so much? Gaining weight is very easy, gaining muscle is hard. If you want to build muscle, you have to lift heavy to failure, lifting light is not going to activate fast twitch muscle fibers which are required for muscle growth.
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    you aren't eating enough
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    And just how do you think you are going to gain weight on 1400-1600 calories, when running that amount? Sorry, isn't going to happen. You are not even eating at maintenance, let alone to gain weight, for your activity level.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    Gaining weight means SURPLUS. Doesn't sound like you've got much of one.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Does the nutritionist know how active you are? That's really not enough calories to gain weight even if you were a sedentary person, which you're not. Unless you have some serious medical condition that has dramatically lowered your BMR, no adult human would gain weight on that many calories with that much activity. You need to eat more.