Emotional Eater (Please don't judge)

So struggling to stay motivated and not eat my body weight in crap. Its a horrible circle I am stuck in of feeling crap so then I eat crap and then feeling like crap again for eating the crap and well you get the idea. I have lost and mainted 18lb since the start of 2019 but I am far from where i want to be.

So please any tips to stop this emotional eating would be amazing !!

thank you

Replies

• AnnMarieThomas91
    AnnMarieThomas91 Posts: 119 Member
    Are you weighing and logging everything you're eating? The good and the bad? For some people, seeing the caloric cost of this behavior can be the first step in making small and sustainable changes. Also can help with regaining a semblance of control in a situation that can make you feel powerless.

I have just started back today logging everything properly . and ensuring that I meal prep and weigh out the food I am going to eat. Before I would start a day and long till dinner and then it would all go out the window . but that is a great idea log for you eat so I can shock myself into not eating the crap ! thank you
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    i am an emotional eater also, it helps me to journal and get out my feelings and work on whatever I need to work on rather than eat. ALso talking to a friend and drinking that water.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,281 Member
    Can you pinpoint what makes you eat? is it one person or situation? Or is it everyday stress and nothing in particular. If it is one person or situation..it would be easier to tackle.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    Certainly the accountability of logging in MFP can help with choices you make in future when emotional eating is a problem, but it doesn't solve the problem.

The only way to tackle emotional eating long term is to break the cycle somewhere along the way:

Understanding why you do it and removing yourself from the situation or person that causes it and/or finding a healthier way of responding to the emotions it causes.

Understanding that the short-term impact of a binge isn't as bad as it seems and being willing and able to forgive yourself if and when it happens.

Understanding that long-term your weight management is dictated by what you do most of the time, not by a slip-up.

I would love to tell you that it's easy to overcome, it's not, but in time you can learn to respond differently to what is stressing you out. What I can't tell you is what tools you will need to get there. For me it has been meditation, yoga and talking more openly with friends/family about it, you might have different needs.

I would suggest trying to keep some sort of notes about your eating patterns alongside your food logging, perhaps with a few notes on your emotions/stress from the day, it can help immensely with identifying causes, it might be as simple as you're not getting enough of your nutritional needs, it could be that it's linked to your hormonal changes through the month, etc.

Knowledge is power!

Hope you find a healthy way to overcome it :)
  • rumbaimom
    rumbaimom Posts: 46 Member
    I understand. Food is so soothing to me. It’s not easy to wean ourselves off what soothes us but it can be done! There are other healthier options we can adopt to cope with everything that comes our way. Better health is worth it! ❤️
  • AnnMarieThomas91
    Can you pinpoint what makes you eat? is it one person or situation? Or is it everyday stress and nothing in particular. If it is one person or situation..it would be easier to tackle.

Think it is stress, and self loathing. Things I defo need to work on
  • AnnMarieThomas91
    brenn24179 wrote: »
    i am an emotional eater also, it helps me to journal and get out my feelings and work on whatever I need to work on rather than eat. ALso talking to a friend and drinking that water.

thank you for sharing , I will try to do something else than eat .
  • AnnMarieThomas91
    rumbaimom wrote: »
    I understand. Food is so soothing to me. It’s not easy to wean ourselves off what soothes us but it can be done! There are other healthier options we can adopt to cope with everything that comes our way. Better health is worth it! ❤️

I completely agree , health is so important
  • AnnMarieThomas91

thank you , I wish it was a simple switch it off. I will start to take note and see what triggers me to reach of the naughties and to binge.,

I know my worst days are if I dont have time to eat , then it gets to 3pm and i have lunch and then eat far to much in the evening. which is work related so I need to get that back in control and block lunch time out .
  • AnnMarieThomas91
    I pre-log my meals for the day, and then make adjustments as I go along according to what actually happens. If I feel like a snack late in the day, I know roughly how many calories I have left in my 'budget.' Sometimes, just logging that portion of chips or candy or ice cream (or whatever) and seeing that it would put me in the red for the day is enough to make me either change my mind entirely or at least have a smaller portion. And sometimes just the time it took to log it was long enough for the craving to pass.

that is a good idea prep and record the day before meaning I cant over eat if i know what i have left
  • AnnMarieThomas91
    Are you weighing and logging everything you're eating? The good and the bad? For some people, seeing the caloric cost of this behavior can be the first step in making small and sustainable changes. Also can help with regaining a semblance of control in a situation that can make you feel powerless.

I have just started back today logging everything properly . and ensuring that I meal prep and weigh out the food I am going to eat. Before I would start a day and long till dinner and then it would all go out the window . but that is a great idea log for you eat so I can shock myself into not eating the crap ! thank you

You may also find that when you log, you're not actually overeating as much as you think you might be, and it can make it feel a lot less all-or-nothing in the grand scheme. You don't have to be perfect to have success in weight loss.

Yes that could possibly be it, I know i have far to much sugar in a day in the form of liquids , defo drink to much coffee.
  • AnnMarieThomas91
    I was( still am) an emotional eater. My biggest problem was after dinner. I could eat 1000s of calories in a very short window. I had to completely change my evening routine. No more tv after 7. Usually instead i take a long bath, maybe read a book, and go to bed early. Many of us have 'triggers' figuring those out can be half the battle

yes evenings are my issue , tv and snacks bad combo !!
  • AnnMarieThomas91
    xelsoo wrote: »
    Emotional eating is a way to mostly cope with non-food-related issues, so the first step is to address your 'triggers'. How you're feeling, what is wrong, why are you using food to avoid what's upsetting you, the steps you need to take to change this, etc. As the person above said, writing things down helps to become aware of where the real problems lie. This in itself is an uncomfortable task as you're acknowledging food is not going to solve any of it.

Not having too much junk food in the house helps, as you have to take and extra step to stock up on the binge foods and hopefully think again about this decision.

Also, don't restrict yourself, which seems to be part of the usual cycle. You've binged, you feel gross, get on with it. Eat as you normally would the next day, with no rash diet or restrictions as this will just lead to overeating again. Get out of the house, move a little (even if it's walking), drink water, and talk to your friends and family. It doesn't have to be about your food festivals -just about anything and everything to boost your mood.

Listen to your body: Whenever you feel like going a junk food splurge, take a few minutes to listen for any hunger queues and cravings. If you are not hungry at all, that is your first sign this is just an emotional urge and it will be easier to distract yourself with something else until you're actually hungry. If you're really craving something, then go for it! Very importantly, know that you can always have it, which will help reduce the attractiveness of going on a junk food-feeling like crap eating session.

Remember this is a lifetime journey to feel better about yourself and create healthy habits. There is no rush so don't pressure yourself (which won't help!) and focus on body positivity. Be patient!

thank you! I am learning to be patient with myself. 3 years ago I lost 4 stone in 3 months ... and then it all went back on, so this time I am happy to keep moving slowly forward to keep it off, I have lost in 10 months 18lb which isn't a huge amount but I have kept it off, even with the bad eating habits . junk food splurge comment is so true , i just jump for the crips, but maybe it is something else like thirst or just a really bad habbit .
  • AnnMarieThomas91
    thank you everyone . I think I managed to reply to you all . I really appreciate all the comments and suggestions <3:) so thank you !!!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    edited October 2019
    thank you everyone . I think I managed to reply to you all . I really appreciate all the comments and suggestions <3:) so thank you !!!

Often, emotional eating is a combination of self-soothing/coping mechanism and plain old habit. In addition to the great advice you've already gotten here, if you're a reader, check out The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg. It's a fun read, a combo of explaining the science, suggesting strategies, and telling fascinating stories around the habits that shape our lives.

Good luck!