Vegetarian Gainer Diet

Options
Yes, I'm doing it. No meat, no poultry, no fish, no nothin'. I'm curious to see if anyone else is doing this, or what anyone else has to say? I'm taking BCAA supplement, but that's really about it. If you're interested to know what I eat, my diary is open. I'm doing a "zig-zag" calorie diet, two days I eat 2400, one day I eat 3000, etc. Any questions/comments are appreciated !

Replies

• ajlandon
    ajlandon Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm on a "cut" right now, but yeah, I've done it. Lots of eggs, greek yogurt, and tofu-lol. It was easier to hit my protein macro than I thought it would be.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I'm on a vegetarian bulk at the moment.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Serious question:

How do you get 3000 calories from vegetables and fruits without eating 10 + lbs of food per day?

I'm just curious.
  • ajlandon
    ajlandon Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Nuts, nut butters, vegetable oils, cheese, whey protein, soy protein, beans (some, but not all, are calorie dense), eggs (with yolk), greek yogurt, etc. Not hard at all to eat that many calories, even on a vegan diet, so long as you incorporate some denser foods.
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for nine years and just finished a cut, now I will start a bulk again. With a vegetarian bulk, protein powder can be your best friend, especially if you're already supplementing BCAAs. Even on my cut, I was drinking about four shakes a day, three whey, one casein. I will probably up that to five, maybe six. This will help get closer to the calorie goal without having to consume a bunch of pizza and ice cream...but I will probably still consume a bunch of pizza and ice cream!
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian trying to bulk here as well. Protein powder, nuts, and milk are my best friends.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    put down a lot of eggs and potatoes for breakfast.
    and eat a ****ton of oats/grains?
  • thefewsteps
    thefewsteps Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i hate this preconceived notion, especially regarding a vegan diet. here are some good things to look into, they're all vegan so of course dairy and eggs and honey are all good for you too

nuts, peanut butter, avocados, beans, lentils, seiten, oils, rice, quinoa, pasta, tofu, oats, whole grains (tortillas, bagels), chili, soy milk, high calorie fruits - bananas apples, dried fruit like raisins, kiwi, bananas, prunes, figs, dates, soynuts/mukimame, starchy veggies - corn, potatoes, tortilla chips, hummus, olives, granola, maple syrup, chia seeds, hemp seeds, flaxseeds, nutritional yeast, etc.

of course there are processed foods high in calories - lots of fruit juices, synthetic cheese, fake meat, veggie burgers, some cliff/luna bars, Entenmann's pies, oreos, fritos, pop corn, potato chips, french fries, coconut ice cream, most bisquick kinda mixes.

get
    1 whole grain bagel = 250 cal
    3 tbsp PB = 300 cal
    2 tbsp jelly = 50 cal
    1/2 banana - 50 cal
    1 tbsp maple syrup = 50 cal
    2 tbsp coconut flakes = 50 cal

or
    1/2 cup of quinoa = 100 cal
    1/2 c lentils = 90 cal
    1/2 c black beans = 100 cal
    1 tortilla = 150 cal
    1/2 avocado = 150 cal
    2 tbsp salsa = 10
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Nuts, nut butters, vegetable oils, cheese, whey protein, soy protein, beans (some, but not all, are calorie dense), eggs (with yolk), greek yogurt, etc. Not hard at all to eat that many calories, even on a vegan diet, so long as you incorporate some denser foods.

vegetable oil? motherofgod, no. olive oil and coconut oil are fine. but soybean oil is trash. along with anything soy.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options

vegetable oil? motherofgod, no. olive oil and coconut oil are fine. but soybean oil is trash. along with anything soy.

Soy is the main reason I could never be vegetarian/vegan.
  • jadebuilding
    jadebuilding Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Another veggie bulker here! (Still struggling to gain, but that's not because I don't eat meat, I think it's the confines of when I can & can't eat on my work schedule).
  • Angelikajohnston
    Options
    Junk foods are high in calories and are usually vegetarian, eating them to put on weight is usually not a good idea. These foods are high in sugar and fat and low in beneficial nutrients.Increase the use of carbohydrates to gain weight as a vegetarian & consueme protein in your meals to help you put on weight.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm doing it. No meat, no poultry, no fish, no nothin'. I'm curious to see if anyone else is doing this, or what anyone else has to say?

I say, "Why?"

Unless you're buying all organic stuff then you have to think about how much pesticides and GMO crap you're eating. Does that bother you? Can you afford to hang with the dbags at Whole Foods? Go ahead and be a vegetarian if you'd like to but don't do it just to haze yourself or as a testament to your willpower.

I spent 21 days on a lemon cleanse, back in the day, as a testament of my will power. I willed myself to lose a staggering amount of lean mass and bounce back quickly. Willing yourself to do something which you find hard isn't always the best idea.

Wanna test your will, do it under a bar.
  • musicgal86
    musicgal86 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian bulker here