Does timing matter?

Options
So I had a weigh-in for my nutritionist this morning (I weigh on my scale at home and report it to her). I was so nervous to weigh-in that I did same thing did last week. Instead of weighing right when woke up at 8:30 AM I delayed it. Last week delayed it till 9:30 and this morning till 10 AM. So here is my question. The scale showed a .4 lb loss (I am on weight gain for anorexia recovery) and I don't know how I lost weight on the intake I am on....so could this loss just be due to waiting 30 mins later...or did my metabolism rev up and I truly lose? Thanks for all your help.

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi

Congratulations on your resolve to be healthy. I wish you the best in your endeavour.

I try to weigh myself the same time of the day, under the same conditions (i.e. right after getting out of bed), in order to avoid too much weight fluctuations.

Domestic body weight scales are not very accurate and they will give you different numbers even when the two measurements are seconds from each other, depending on the manufacturer. 0.4 lbs delta is likely within the scale margin of error.

I pay more attention to my body measurement: waist, hips and wrist. You can log those at your MFP account.

Good luck in your journey
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think it does. I would weigh at the same time every day. The fluctuation you have seen is likely just due to the scale being variable.

Best of luck to you on your journey to health! :flowerforyou:
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    yes
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Good for you for working on improving your health and recovery!

Timing can definitey make a difference. Maybe talk to your nutritonist about it if you're concerned?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    you should weight at the same time each day...

I usually weigh myself once and then get back on and weigh again to confirm that the scale is weighing accurate...
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Thanks...I waited another 30 mins and weighed again...weight was exact same...so I don't think it was timing??? Anyone agree that maybe its my metabolism finally speeding up? I mean it was only 30 mins
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Thanks...I waited another 30 mins and weighed again...weight was exact same...so I don't think it was timing??? Anyone agree that maybe its my metabolism finally speeding up? I mean it was only 30 mins

If I can add anything from my experience (in my case it was for a weight loss), Once you see an improvement in your results, you tend to be obsessive with weighing yourself everyday, few times per day, before shower and after shower, before bathroom and after bathroom. I think it's normal. I caught myself doing the same thing. MFP actually has so many threads where folks either for it or against it.

Nevertheless, don't sweat over half of pound here or there. You are on the right track for your progress. STAY WITH IT!!! Don't dwell over loss and don't get excited over the gain. Your body will fluctuate. In my case, since I started a weight loss as a small buffalo, it was normal to see 3 pound weight loss in a single day, just to see 2 pound weight gain the next.

Good luck to you. Be well!!!
  • Leandro01
    Leandro01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    honestly, there are sooo many variable at work. Many are like the ones people already stated. What you eat affects your weight, but usually just from a water retention POV, some foods are higher in sodium which makes you retain more water which will throw off your weight, and how much water (fluids) you actually drink. YOu aren't really gaining or losing fat/muscle in those situations. Some foods stay with you longer which require a little more digestion, plus of course (gross alert) your bowel movements too. Not to mention certain monthly fluctuations with the ladies. I too am totally OCD about weighing myself and have made a science out of tracking everything that goes in and out (burning calories). A lb or 2 in either direction is nothing to worry about. I only record my weight every Friday morning as soon as I get out of bed and my diet is relatively strict so it helps minimize UNWANTED fluctuations. Keep being healthy, eating healthy, and be patient.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone...when I told my dietitian I really thought 30 minutes could make a difference she just looked at me..and I said...yeah...it's a little silly isn't it..and we both laughed. She didn't increase my intake except by 6 almonds...but not thinking that will cause me to gain...but will be a lot less stress after midterms tomorrow. Thanks for everything.