Weight gain for a friend

Options
Can anyone tell me the best way to gain weight muscle mass my nephew was over the other day and telling me he's been struggling to gain weight and is trying to bulk up, I told him about the site and showed him but he hasn't got round to signing up yet.

He's a police man and plays semi pro football. So does large amount of cardio which isn't helping but he is also very fit eats a large amount of calories (mostly healthy every day) and has started to use creatine to assist but doesn't seem to be seeing ay results.)

Is there something specific he can do to assist with the gain or it just a case of time??

Thanks for the help.
uncle John

Replies

• AdrianBry
    AdrianBry Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    so muscle gain for a friend to be more exact?

here's the basics

1. he needs to eat 2000+ cals per day with 25-to-50% of that protein
    2. he needs to get stronger each time he works out by lifting heavier, doing more reps and/or sets.
    3. do compound exercises (dips OR bench press for chest,sho & tris) - (chins or rows for back and bis) - (squats for legs)
    4. do 4-10 sets of 5-12 reps of compound exercises
    5. workout 1-to-2 times per week for each area

if you need more info (which I can't put all here) message me here or on facebook
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Tell him to eat more.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    More food!

Heavy weights!
  • foodiscomplicated
    foodiscomplicated Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    There has been some speculation on whether there is a genetic component to muscle gain. This doesn't necessarily mean one can't have huge health benefits from exercise and training but it's possible you my never 'bulk-up" as excepted.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    More food!

Heavy weights!

This!
  • ihateyoga
    ihateyoga Posts: 111
    Options
    Chinese buffet.:drinker:
  • Benhoagland72
    Benhoagland72 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Tell him no creatine. All this does is "bloat' your muscle. Whatever he is eating calorie wise tell him to add at least 1000 calories with a 40% coming from carbs, 35% from protein and 25% from fat. Whole grains like oatmeal and brown rice will help. When lifting, lift high weight and low reps. give some rest period in between at least a couple of minutes. There is a possibility he is at his "maximum" size as well. Most people can only get so big.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If he is getting a net caloric surplus, your friend will gain weight.

If he is also getting close to optimal macros, and consistently strength training on a good program, more of that weight gain will be muscle.

Preferably this surplus is small surplus, a few hundred calories per day. More than that will mean the weight gain is mostly fat, even if he does everything else right. It sounds like your friend has a special challenge in that his calories burned from exercise will be difficult to estimate, at least initially. With careful tracking and observation, he will be able to get a handle on this over time. Basically if he is not gaining weight slowly, his is either eating too much, or too little.

It's possible to succeed with a haphazard "eat more and train hard" approach, but the results will not be as good as they could of been. Neither approach is wrong, if you accept the results. I also recommend he sets a specific goal and works toward that. A goal is very powerful when life makes it difficult for you to succeed, which it eventually will.

Creatine is effective for many people, but it's a very minor factor. Go ahead and take it, but don't focus on unimportant details.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    More food!

Heavy weights!

This!

I agree! This is the right solution for anyone trying to gain weight and muscle
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    More food!

Heavy weights!

This!

I agree! This is the right solution for anyone trying to gain weight and muscle

And time :smile: Just like with weight loss, it takes patience and consistency.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    so muscle gain for a friend to be more exact?

here's the basics

1. he needs to eat 2000+ cals per day with 25-to-50% of that protein
    2. he needs to get stronger each time he works out by lifting heavier, doing more reps and/or sets.
    3. do compound exercises (dips OR bench press for chest,sho & tris) - (chins or rows for back and bis) - (squats for legs)
    4. do 4-10 sets of 5-12 reps of compound exercises
    5. workout 1-to-2 times per week for each area

if you need more info (which I can't put all here) message me here or on facebook

How can you give him a calorie amount when you don't know his stats?

Tell your friend to check out his TDEE - I normally use http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

It's only an estimate, so he will need to be prepared for some trial and error.

He will need a 250 calorie surplus a day ideally, paired with some weight lifting.

Stronglifts 5 x 5 is quite a good one for beginners as it's fairly simple, but there are many out there.

The last and most important thing he will need is patience.