Do I need 2500 calories?

Options
I'm trying to gain 15-20 pounds to reach a healthy weight. However, as I've only been underweight for 2-3 months, I'm not sure if the 2500 calories recommended for anorexia recovery applies to me (Restricting for 5 months). Thank you.

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Who told you to eat that many calories? If it was a medical professional, I'd stick to that advice and ignore what you get here.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    U need to find out your TDEE based on your gender , age , weight , height and activity level

Everyone is different . Id have a difficult time trying to gain on 2500 because im probably twice your size .

So work it out and try it out.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to gain 15-20 pounds to reach a healthy weight. However, as I've only been underweight for 2-3 months, I'm not sure if the 2500 calories recommended for anorexia recovery applies to me (Restricting for 5 months). Thank you.

instead of using that figure, work out your TDEE and then add 10%-20%
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    You probably need to reverse diet

Eating at 2500 suddenly will cause all kinds of problems
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I don't know if your question is if you should eat more or less than that, anyway...
    the best way to recover is to eat without counting calories :) I've never been anorexic but I've heard this from lots of girls who were. You should re-gain a healthy relationship with food, which means that you should be able to tell yourself if you're eating "enough", if you're still "hungry", if you're already "full" and so on. I fear that keeping counting calories could help you gaining weight but not autonomy with food.
  • wholenewme03
    wholenewme03 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You're an 18 year old female, so you'd probably maintain your weight on 2500 calories. You need calories for life, for your daily living activities, and to grow! Your body is a calorie burning machine right now. I have been though treatment for an eating disorder twice, and from experience, you need 3000-3500 calories to gain weight, repair damage done to your body from restricting (even though it was only for a few months), and bring your metabolism back to speed.

If you have not done so yet, please seek medical help. Therapists, nutritionists, and psychiatrists who specialize in eating disorders will help you to not only stop restricting, but realize the damage you can do to your body and mind if you continue in the restricting cycle. You are never "not sick enough" to seek help!
  • thejoyoflife98
    Options
    Okay thank you.