21 Day Sugar Detox

Options
Has anyone done this program? If so, any tips, suggestions, insight you can offer? Thanks!

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    I reduced my refined sugar intake and the products that relates to, about five years ago.....21 days is a hiccup in a life, good luck.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    I goggled the diet and it's basically a paleo diet in disguise, which is an extremely skewed view of nutrition in general, mostly non sustainable for the general population. Removing some or all refined sugar if someone is susceptible to bingeing has merit, removing tomato's, potatoes, beans and cheese does not, imo.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    What happens after you detox for 21 days? Sugar isn't a toxin to start with and you're going to be pretty limited on food choices if you cut out all sugars.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    This might not end well....
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Well considering you can eat things like vegetables, you aren't removing sugars from your diet. A plum or cherry tomato has 2 grams of sugar in it. Detox debunked you are still eating sugar, please eat healthy and stop falling for traps like these.

ETA: The "detox" tells you to eat a ton of veggies, which is why I am talking about them.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What happens after you detox for 21 days? Sugar isn't a toxin to start with and you're going to be pretty limited on food choices if you cut out all sugars.

This. Your body will naturally detox itself; it's the job of the liver and kidneys. Also, short of a medical condition, there is nothing wrong with sugar. It's essentially a carb and will processed that way. While a long article, it's very informative.

http://www.fitnessbaddies.com/your-problem-with-sugar-is-the-problem-with-sugar/
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    How about something positive? I think sugar detox is a great idea. Now, I haven't seen the specific program you're talking about, but I think it really is good to give your body a break from processed sugars for a good amount of time. I just went 6 days without sweets which I know some will scoff at-but this is the girl who exercises more just so she can have candy every single day and fit them into her net calories. 6 days isn't long, but it was enough for me to really appreciate the sugar in apples and even the sweetness in carrots as well as get a little sick from eating some sweets on day 7. I say go for it!
  • jess17587
    Options
    i think natural sugars are okay but its only recently I became more aware of fresh fruit! Because when i logged a piece of fruit it took up so much of my net goal, I was shocked!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    i think natural sugars are okay but its only recently I became more aware of fresh fruit! Because when i logged a piece of fruit it took up so much of my net goal, I was shocked!

All sugars (natural or not) are practically the same. All will be processed as carbs. Essentially, for weight loss, it's calories in vs out. Sugar alone will not prevent that. I get 100-150g of sugar a day or more and I can still lose 1 lb per week.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    No matter how hard you try to "detox" from sugar, your body will dutifully keep turning most calories you eat into sugar anyway.

Nothing wrong with eating sugar. Unless you have a metabolic disease or disorder, your body is very good at maintaining a proper blood sugar level one way or another.

Don't worry about sugar. And certainly don't worry about "toxins."
  • MisConway
    MisConway Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am on level 3, day 5 of the 21 DSD right now. To clear up any confusion, the purpose is not to consume absolutely no sugar, the purpose is to consume small amounts of sugar from natural food sources to help reset your blood sugar levels and decrease sugar cravings.

On level 3 which is the most "strict" (for people who already eat limited or no processed food, fat free food, and sugar free food) I am "allowed" to eat the following:

-All meats (uncured, no added sugar. For ex. smoked salmon has added sugar).
    -All vegetables with the exception of: peas, corn, potatoes, yams, sweet potates. Although athletes who exercise hard at least 30 min/day are required to eat a 1c serving of sweet potatoes or squash daily.
    - Fruit: only 1/day of either grapefruit, green apple, or green tipped banana.
    - Healthy fats at every meal and for snacks: almonds and other nuts, avocado, coconut oil, olive oil, Ghee, etc...

The NO foods: beans, legumes, dairy, any processed crap, any grain source (quinoa, barley, wheat, rice, etc...)

Essentially, it is 21 days of whole, natural, healthy fats, proteins and natural carbs/sugars. Keep in mind, I am doing level 3. Level 1 allows things level 3 doesn't, as does level 2.

My 5 days so far: I am 5'7, female, 31yo, kids (you mom's out there know that matters! Our bodies are not the same!). I have worked out consistently 3-6 days/week for 8 years. I am going to Mexico with my husband in February and wanted something to kickstart my toning and weight loss, as I would like to firm up at loose up to 20 pounds before our trip. Before this, I ate strictly at 1100-1400 calories, fat free, low carb.

Day 1: 155 pounds. Day 5 of 21: 151 pounds. Stomach bloating has gone away. Cravings are there in late afternoon, but not intense.

For the past 5 days I have been eating 1400-1800 calories. I have been eating fat at every meal, sometimes two fat sources (cooking in coconut oil, then adding avocado to the meal). I have not yet been hungry (I am used to being starving). I have not worked out in 5 days due to being out of town, then a wicked cold. I'll be back at the gym tomorrow where I lift and do HIIT.

So far, I have nothing but great things to say about this and I am excited to see where I am at 21 days. If nothing else, it kept me from pigging out at 3 parties we attended last weekend. After the 21 days I will assess how I feel and decide what foods to begin reintroducing at that point, if i choose to.

21DSD is Paleo. Paleo is a great, healthy lifestyle focused on whole foods and daily activity. I don't see any problems with the 21DSD.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you are trying this as well. I also have a good pintrest board going where I meal plan my 21DSD meals (i.e. paleo).
  • MisConway
    MisConway Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was the end of my 21 day sugar detox, which is basically very strict Paleo. I lost 6.5 pounds and 6 inches overall! I feel great eating this way and plan to keep doing so. Lots of fresh meat, veggies, and healthy fats, combined with weight lifting and HIIT cardio. I am 5'7 and started at 155.5, now 149. I did not take pictures, although I wish I would have. Everything is fitting much better and I can't wait to see what the next 21 days look like!

Also, NSV: My workout shirts no longer ride up due to being snug around the hips. They are actually loose on me, sweet!
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I goggled the diet and it's basically a paleo diet in disguise, which is an extremely skewed view of nutrition in general, mostly non sustainable for the general population. Removing some or all refined sugar if someone is susceptible to bingeing has merit, removing tomato's, potatoes, beans and cheese does not, imo.

You've gotten a bit of a misconception about Paleo. There isn't one standard Paleo lifestyle insist you cut out all those things forever (except for the very strict minority, and since they're the minority, they shouldn't get all the attention), there is a version of Paleo for everyone. For instance, I cut out grain and legumes. I still consume the occasional dairy, potatoes on my higher carb days, and tomatoes. Pretty sure no one has ever suffered nutritionally from cutting out bread, processed foods, and peanuts....Also, it's a very easy way to eat long term, as well as nutritionally balanced. It's about finding what makes you feel your best. It's been an amazingly easy way to cut down on the sugar cravings, imo, since you don't rely on carbs to fuel your body but mostly healthy fat and protein instead. You really don't need to eat that many carbs, but the average human is absolutely addicted to carbs and sugar. And not all Paleo is low-carb, anywhere from 100-150 grams of carbs a day is perfectly healthy. I'd say, if it works for someone, congrats and keep going!!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Ssshhhhh....MFP is for support...start supporting and stuff....
  • seharkness1
    seharkness1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have done 5 days so far. It has been pretty difficult because I am VERY addicted to sugar. Hey, the first step is admitting you have a problem right? I grew up in a family that had ice cream every night after dinner so I am constantly craving late night sweets. After reading some recent research on the effects of refined sugar and how it has been linked to a number of diseases and cancers, I decided I needed to reset the way I think about my relationship with sugar. Side note: I also had gained 6 lbs over the holidays as a result of cookies, candy, booze, and general lack of self-control. But reading about the researchers in the study who said that it scared them so much that they might never eat refined sugar again...that scared me. I am totally healthy with what I put in my body beyond refined sugar.

Honestly, feeling out of control when it came to knowing that I had a box of Girl Scout cookies in my fridge was the last straw. I pride myself on being a strong person, and when I found my willpower bowing to Thin Mints, I knew I needed to do something drastic.

So far, I am feeling much more alert, I am sleeping better, and I have noticed that my sinuses are clearing up. It is certainly not easy. I have felt some really strong urges, especially when I am in Whole Foods getting lunch, but every time I say, "No!" it makes me feel that much better. I wasn't necessarily doing this as a weight-loss diet, but I have already lost 3 lbs in 5 days. Obviously, not all fat, but at least my body seems to be flushing itself out.

Good luck, and hang in there. I have a feeling that the first week will be the most difficult!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Why would you need to 'detox' from sugar? Sugar gets an unfair rep in my opinion.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    When you say "no beans" does that mean green beans also?

I did not realize beans (like pinto beans, kidney beans etc) have too much sugar. is that true?

I see that going very low carb might be a quick way to lose weight and get all those beneifts, but i myself am doing moderate low carb so that I can have a daily piece of fruit and 2 times I have yogurt,, and I love milk.. I am not ready to give those up, but i can still have 3 a day and still be moderate carb which still seems to be helping me lose weight and is sustainable for me to eat those things.

i dont get the beans thing though.
  • snowflowr82
    snowflowr82 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 2 of the Sugar Detox, I felt great the first day and exercised a lot because i felt so good with so much energy. Today i'm not as peppy lol and sore from all the workouts out yesterday on top of a slight headache. But being as addicted to sugar as I was/am I am expecting to get some headaches and other detox symptoms. I'm loving the food i get to eat though!!! yummy stuff and I'm looking to lose about 30-35 lbs (not in 21 days just to clear that up) but I want to jumpstart my new journey without being so obsessed and craving all the sugar that really weighs me down when i try to eat good.