slimfast or Not - what shake is best

Options
I am trying all sorts to loss weight, eating healthy, exercise, counting calories. I am now debating whether to try slimfast but after reading the messages in here it does not sound like a good idea. Some people have suggested just having a low carb high protein shake instead, can anyone recommend one I could try?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Super Advanced Whey Protein is pretty good. You can get it at Walmart for like $15 (big tub).
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Slimfast is a meal replacement shake, IIRC. It has a certain "desired" macronutrient profile with not many overall calories. A protein supplement shake is just that: almost 100% protein. Very little carbs or fat.

Really, it depends on what your goals are. If you want a quick, relatively balanced shake you just grab on your way out the door for breakfast, then slimfast might be what you are looking for. If you are trying to hit a sufficient protein intake for the day, then use a protein supplement.

Or eat real food. I personally don't like the idea of replacing an entire meal with a drink, but then that's me. (I do use a protein supplement, however, after a workout).

Either way, the most important thing for losing weight is a reasonable calorie deficit. Then hit your micronutrient needs. After that, it's really all personal preference and being able to stick to it.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    SlimFast can work for some people but when they stop they gain it back. SlimFast does not teach you how to eat so unless you want to be drinking them forever, making changes to the way you eat will have more long term results.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    as far as I can see Slimfast is mainly milk powder. I used to use whey protein powders a lot, but now personally I feel its a waste of calories which you can eat in the form of real, nutritious and most importantly yummy food!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    You'd get a hell of a lot more protein at a cheaper cost per serving if you buy it in bulk compared to Slim-fast.

I recommend buying samples of Trutein - it's regarded as one of the top 3 best tasting protein powders.

http://www.truscience.com/samples.html
  • pusheen12
    pusheen12 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    totally agree!
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I thought about using slim fast but then read the ingredient list. Yikes!

I do some meal replacements with shakes. But I purchased optimum nutrition double choc & French vanilla (30 servings for about $30 on amazon). Then add my own ice, berries & almond milk. IMHO it's a pretty balanced meal.

I Follow up with a liter (32oz) of water and I'm full for hours (for me water seems to be the trick)

As a bonus i find it yummy. Like having a milk shake. Plus i always have the ingredients in the house rather than scavenging if i forget to shop.

If you try, check out "PB2" available on amazon. It's a yummy peanut butter flavor for 45cals.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I agree that there are better options than Slimfast. Really just count your calories. If you really want to do the shake thing, then 1 cup of your preferred milk or milk substitute or Greek Yogurt, a scoop of protein powder like Optimum nutrition, throw in a banana, maybe some spinach, some berries and ice if you like it super cold. yummmmmm... May be a bit more expensive than Slimfast, but you're getting a much healthier shakes that has over 30 g of protein in it depending on your dairy choice and it has real food in it and not chemical nonsense.
  • salemo81
    salemo81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice. There seems to be so many options I am confused about what is best. I am eating healthy but I find that I am never full and satisfied and then I am craving junk. I was told that a protein shake would probably fill me up for longer and stop me craving more. But I thought the the protein shakes were for people trying to put on muscle like body builders. I just want to loss a bit of weight and maintain it.
  • TemikaThompson
    TemikaThompson Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Just try it and see how it works for you. It's not like you are replacing all your meals with it. I drink them because I like the way they taste, they are convenient and they have only 180-200 cals and I'm full for 2-3 hrs. It can be a snack or a meal for me. I believe you can still learn how to eat even with drinking them. I learned how to eat but I still drink them every now and then. I don't drink them to lose weight or as a specific diet.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    So just try one and see what you like.

Yes, body builders use protein supplements. But that doesn't mean you have to be a body builder to use them. It's just a convenient source of protein and you really cannot eat too much protein (barring kidney issues).

BUT: you say you are eating "healthy", but are never full, and are craving junk... Is there some deeper issue here that is causing you to be hungry and then crave junk? How many calories are you eating per day? Have you gone on some super restrictive diet that has cut out all the foods you love?

Make sure you are eating enough to meet your nutritional requirements. Don't cut your calories too far. Your ticker says you only have a few kgs to lose, so you should only be looking to lose a small amount (0.5 lb/0.2 kg) per week. If you've suddenly stopped eating, then yeah, you'll be hungry!

Also, don't cut everything you love! If you do, no wonder you are craving them. Meet your micro + macro goals, then have something you enjoy to make up the rest of the calories. Think about the long term - is what you are doing now sustainable, or will you go back to your old habits as soon as you've lost the weight, and put it all back on (plus some more)?
  • salemo81
    salemo81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I had a slimfast shake for breakfast on Monday and a health lunch and dinner and the same Tuesday but now I am feeling very sicky, bloated and windy. I feel that sick I can't face having dinner tonight. I am not sure if this is just my body getting use to the shakes or whether they don't agree with me. The thought of having a shake today just made me feel ill so I have not had one. Has anyone else experienced this? Do you have any advice?
  • rosemary98
    Options
    personally, i prefer real food to slimfast or a shake (not that they aren't "real" food). I happen to enjoy eating. so if I can eat 200 calories of solid food over drinking them...i will choose that.
  • czechwolf52
    czechwolf52 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have slimfast about 2-3 times a week for breakfast. I'm not that hungry when I wake up, but since I have a 9 AM class I will be really hungry when I get back home. So I drink it at 8 and I'm full until 11:30 when I have to eat lunch before work. I don't mind them at all. But for protein I actually use Super Advance Whey protein from Walmart. The slimfast only has bout 10 g of protein (2 in powder, 8 in milk) compared to 25+g in the protein powder.

I've never had a problem with the shakes before. What kind do you use, the powder or bottled ones? I prefer the powder to the bottles. The cans were better but they stopped producing them.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Gold Standard 100% Whey is tasty and does the job at increasing your protein intake if that is what you're looking for. It isn't the cheapest, but it tastes good and mixes well without clumping.
  • mejese313
    Options
    Nature's Sunshine has several different quality meal replacement drinks depending on what you are looking for...

Meal Replacement Shakes -
    http://www.naturessunshine.com/us/products/meal-replacementprotein/cat-2-189.aspx?sponsor=3201097

They want you to achieve a healthy weight through optimal nutrition!!

They also have something called Stixated -
    http://www.naturessunshine.com/us/product/stixated-30-packets/sku-6540.aspx?sponsor=3201097

This drink has Garcinia cambogia and chromium picolinate to help curb your appetite between meals.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I thought about using slim fast but then read the ingredient list. Yikes!

I do some meal replacements with shakes. But I purchased optimum nutrition double choc & French vanilla (30 servings for about $30 on amazon). Then add my own ice, berries & almond milk. IMHO it's a pretty balanced meal.

I do this quite often with the Double Rich Chocolate flavor. I use almond milk, 2T heavy cream, 2 strawberries and 1T peanut butter and it hits my macro needs perfectly!
  • TXRanchGirl
    Options
    I use Slimfast sometimes..its handy as something quick and simple in the morning..as I am usually rushing out the door to work. it keeps me going til noon when I eat lunch.

I cannot STAND the bottled slimfast..that is some knarly stuff..ick. I prefer the powder and mix with 2% milk.

I have also used ZEAL..which I liked alot..it has higher protein and fiber then slimfast
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I use something called Diet fuel and something else alled matrix anabolic. Both of these are relatively tasty and have more protein (especially the matrix) than slimfast. I wouldn't go near this stuff at all.