Running and exposure to cold??

Options
Question for all of the runners....what do you know about running and exposure to cold? My husband and I are registered for a 5K tomorrow and are rethinking the race. But if it's safe enough, we'll do it. Thoughts??

Temps at race time will be 4 with a wind chill of -10.

Replies

• BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    Wear a hat and gloves and you will be absolutely fine.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    sooner you finish...sooner you can get in your car?? :bigsmile:

+1 hat/gloves... all good after that.
  • bkbenda
    bkbenda Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    This site will help you determine appropriate clothing for the conditions. Good luck!

http://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Your extremities will get cold - a headband or buff for your ears, light gloves, and a jacket. Once you start running you'll warm up - if the jacket has pockets you'll be able to stash the gloves and hat in them. You might be cold hanging around waiting for the race to start - will there be somewhere you can leave a warmer top layer?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Do you usually run indoors on a treadmill? Have you done any outside running in the cold? I don't have experience with temps that low, but would say in addition to a hat and gloves, maybe a mask or balaclava to keep your face warm, which you could always pull down if you are too warm. Wicking layers with zippers so you can vent as you warm up. Wool socks are nice for keeping your feet toasty.

Good luck!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Do you usually run indoors on a treadmill? Have you done any outside running in the cold? I don't have experience with temps that low, but would say in addition to a hat and gloves, maybe a mask or balaclava to keep your face warm, which you could always pull down if you are too warm. Wicking layers with zippers so you can vent as you warm up. Wool socks are nice for keeping your feet toasty.

Good luck!

Yes I'm usually a strictly outdoor runner. And I do fine down to about 15 degrees. After that my lungs tend to object, but I don't usually wear a scarf or anything covering my mouth/nose. My husband, on the other hand, is a treadmill runner and doesn't have any outdoor cold running experience. The only race he's run in the cold, I'd say it was in the 20s and sunny.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Question for all of the runners....what do you know about running and exposure to cold? My husband and I are registered for a 5K tomorrow and are rethinking the race. But if it's safe enough, we'll do it. Thoughts??

35° TO 45°F AND CLEAR- Wear tights or thin running pants, a long-sleeve shirt, and a vest. You may also need gloves when the temp gets near 35°F.
    35° TO 45°F AND RAINY- Slim-fitting tights fare better in rain since they won’t get as droopy. A wool base layer will keep you warmer than a synthetic top since it retains warmth when wet. Wear a waterproof outer layer.
    10° TO 35°F AND CLEAR- Wear technical underwear under your tights or pants and a long-sleeve shirt under an insulated jacket or vest. Wear gloves or mittens and a thin beanie.
    10° TO 35°F AND SLEET- Wear tights, a water-resistant jacket, and a cap. Add water-resistant mittens to keep your hands from getting damp and cold.
    –10°F AND CLEAR- Wear wool underwear and thick socks, tights, and running pants. To keep your core warm, go with a long-sleeve base layer under an insulated vest and windproof jacket. Wear a beanie and mittens.
    –10°F AND SNOWY- Use the same cover-everything strategy as above for the bottom half. On top, wear an insulated vest and a water-resistant or waterproof hooded jacket over your base layer. Wear water-resistant hat and gloves.

From runner's world.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I went running in -20 windchill lastnight, 10mph winds. My attire, from toes up:

Trainers w/Yaktrax
    Smartwool merino wool socks
    Asics Thermo tights
    Asics Thermo warmups
    Comp shorts
    LS tech tee
    Fleece half-zip pullover
    Pearl Izumi convertible windbreaker
    Asics Thermo gloves
    North Face fleece gloves
    Asics Thermo neck buff
    Neoprene face shield (think ninja looking)
    Asics Thermo skullcap
    Wool beanie
    Cape
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    In addition to stuff mentioned above like layers hat and gloves I wear a Pearl Izumi bacalava. In addition to keeping the air off my face it helps warm up the air before it gets in my lungs.

I think with the distance only being 5K you'll be unformfortable at the begginning but once you get going you'll be fine. You may have some cold hands and toes when you get back in your car but nothing close to frostbite if everything is covered. Your freinds and family will think you're nuts, but that's about it.

I did a trail race two years ago that was 10 miles in similar conditions. They couldn't keep the water at the aid stations from freezing and anyone with facial hair had iceicles hanging from it. It was sureal and awesome. When you're running you forget how cold it is until you stop.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Cape

^^^^ This, when running in the cold don't forget your cape.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options

Is this celsius or farenheit?

If farenheit that is ridiculously cold. I was raised in the north and have never run a race at those temps. I have no idea what your goal time is, but I'd just focus on finishing or hope the race gets canceled.

If celsius, then not really much of an issue. Essentially 40 degrees. Light hat, gloves. Long sleeve dri fit and you would be fine.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're dressed properly no weather is too cold (well,maybe if you're in Alaska....) I run outdoors all year 'round and it will get down occasionally to -40°C around here in winter. I've had my fair share frost on my fleece.

Another thing for colder weather - use lip balm, the drier air can result in dry cracked lips. While hardly life threatening it's uncomfortable and can be avoided.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Layers.

I did a series of 10ks last year in January, thankfully it was multiple laps. I bundled and overheated after the first "lap" I just started shedding cloths every lap and throwing in at my car. It worked out well actually.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Smartwool merino wool socks
    Love my Smartwool merino socks! :heart:
    Cape
    For sure - superhero for running in those temps! :drinker:
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options

If farenheit that is ridiculously cold. I was raised in the north and have never run a race at those temps. I have no idea what your goal time is, but I'd just focus on finishing or hope the race gets canceled.

If celsius, then not really much of an issue. Essentially 40 degrees. Light hat, gloves. Long sleeve dri fit and you would be fine.

I think its a question of how you dress and what your comfort level is. It was -29 degrees Celcius here last night with the windchill and I still went out running. That being said I dressed for it and have the equipment which is the great equalizer. I run winter races frequently and can't say I've ever met one that left me truly cold. I've run Half Marathons in February when it was below -30 Celcius. I ran 5 K once in Edmonton on a dare... temperature was -55 with the Windchill (ok, that one actually left me cold and before anyone asks NO my lungs did not freeze)

What I would suggest to the OP is that she warms up for a few minutes before her run. Muscles don't like racing cold. There is a somewhat greater chance of injury in the cold. Also dress as though its 5-10 degrees warmer as multiple layers typically will trap heat and you can overheat. Releasing heat is just a zipper away.

I typically take a layered approach to winter running.

For the Torso;

Base Layer -> Technical fabric to wick moisture. Think Underarmor
    Outer Layer -> Wind resistant shell
    Mid layer -> for colder weather is a polar fleece jacket (provides an insulating quality)
    For Exteme cold I will double up on the fleece or inner layers.

For the Legs;

For milder, I will run in technical fabric tights
    For colder, I add a single layer wind resistant pants
    For extreme, technical tights, and dual layer wind resistant pants.

For the Feet;

Socks -> Smart wool or dual layer socks (or in exteme both)
    Shoes -> normal shoes but will add Yak Traks for the cold

For the Head;

Keep in mind that 50% of your body heat is lost thru your head. I typically will wear a hat, a scarf and occasionally ski goggles for extreme weather.

Dual layer or convertable mittens will help as well. I run hot and rarely have cold hands. Its not uncommon for me to take my gloves off after 10 minutes even when its minus 20. Just keep them handy for when your run is over.

Hope that helps. Have a great run!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

This is farenheit. I live in Wisconsin. :) If it's in the 40s...I'm a happy camper! Love running in any weather 20 - 40 degrees F. I don't tend to go out below 15 though. We did get an update from the race organizers that said if it hits below -15, they'll cancel the race.
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    For a 5K with that temp I'd wear:

- cold weather tights and another layer of pants - wind pants?
    - long sleeved cold weather top
    - a jacket
    - a wicking hat
    - neck warmer thing
    - gloves

... but I also probably wouldn't run below "feels like" 0F. Bbbbrr.
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Just ran up Mt Roberts this morning. 1800ft elevation. 5 miles roundtrip, temp was 6degrees.

My "specialized" gear:
    crappy generic "athletic" pants from Target
    long sleeve t-shirt
    hoodie from the brewery
    Costco socks
    fleece balaklava from Costco that I ended up pulling down because my head got too warm
    "running" gloves from Costco

tl:dr: nothing special