How to get my bf to build muscle?

Options

Replies

• aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    FYI Boxers don't bulk...ever unless they are trying to move up a weight class. The more weight they carry the slower they can become and get classed to fight heavier fighters which can often be stronger if they are naturally large framed. If he wants to bulk, he will and he will do the work and research on his own. Also his body will build the muscle is needs when he boxes to perform at his level....increasing his bench max isn't going to help him.

Boxers do bulk to improve strength.

Just because your big doesn't mean your slow: example? Cam Newton, dude is 245 pounds and can move with the rest of them.

You dont punch from your chest, from your feet, everything in the chain is involved in throwing a punch. You will find professional boxers all Squat, Deadlift and do some kind of press for strength work. And im not talking about grinding out reps, talking about proper form fast lifts that help train neural pathways and build muscle. Increasing his bench max WILL help him.

You will find most people who play sports that require vast amounts of strength Rugby, NFL, MMA, Boxing all have a good strong foundation in compound movements.

that's why I said "can become slower" .....because they can. My BF is a boxer and a big dude and is not slower. You take a 145 bulk him up and throw him in a ring with someone who is naturally stronger and bigger he is at a disadvantage. I'm not saying he will loose...Marvin Frazier Jr. came to his gym....and take a wild guess at when he never did to fight???? weights, I don't doubt they will help but for him starting out boxing bulking up shouldn't be on the priority list.
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Just found this video on the topic, sports scientist:

Good video and pretty much wraps up the topic regarding specificity of training for mma etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5guHuCGzNCM
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    You want him to bulk, or he wants to bulk?

If former, seek relationship counselling

That's what I was thinking the whole time. :laugh: Except, I think that he needs more help than their relationship does if he's going along with it.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    As others have said it should be compound movement focused routine. Stronglifts 5x5 is perfect, he just has to learn proper form on squats, benching, overhead press, bent over rows and deadlifts. And also he should not be working out more than three days a week. Muscle is built during the rest and recovery days, not during the workout. Deviating from the 3 day routine and adding more days of lifting, or isolation moves, or anything like that will just result in overtraining and setbacks.

I think you need to do more research yourself on strength and muscle building routines and diet. And your boyfriend especially has to be motivated enough to want to learn this stuff.
  • roheliomarquez
    roheliomarquez Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started out by first reading Arnold's Encyclopedia of bodybuilding. There's great info in there and provided me with the basis and theory from which to build on. That, and diet, diet , diet!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    demand standing inverted 69
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    I started out by first reading Arnold's Encyclopedia of bodybuilding. There's great info in there and provided me with the basis and theory from which to build on. That, and diet, diet , diet!

i have that, much of the science in both exercise and diet is defiently dated, but its quite a resource to look for different exercises. i like the sections where i gives you ideas on what exercises to do for areas that aren't developing well for you.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I like how even after the OP said her husband is the one who made the decision to bulk people are still jumping down her throat. Nice.
  • feyruiz
    Options
    Yes, I have it as well. It's definitely dated info. But I agree, its nice to see where they were back then. And what you could do with some fundamental understanding of anatomy and (not so correct) exercise physiology. It always makes me feel nostalgic paging through it - kinda takes you back in time.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    honestly as a beginner he should just be doing a 5x5 program - jason blaha's novice program is the best IMO
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    That routine you posted stinks for anyone but an experienced bodybuilder who is probably using some form of questionable supplementation. Have him stick with basic compound movements and work them hard.

My line of thought has always been, if you have enough gas left in the tank after squats to do front squats, leg curls, leg extensions and everything else, you didn't squat hard enough. 3 days a week is plenty- rest is just as important as the lifting. Work hard, keep the workouts to an hour or less, and go home and eat.

x2
  • Matt24442
    Options
    sounds like hes got a pretty big weight hanging from his jock already, so maybe he'll gain some muscle in the mean time before he finds a pretty good workout plan...Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • fashionosack
    Options
    Sit-ups can exercise your abdomen, push-ups you can exercise your hands, arms and chest, running exercise your legs, of course, the best exercise is carried out in the game, such as playing basketball, football, table tennis, badminton , playing tennis, you need to run and have fun need hands-on things, so you can increase your muscles will thickening unknowingly! The key is to adhere to!I wish you a speedy success!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Sit-ups can exercise your abdomen, push-ups you can exercise your hands, arms and chest, running exercise your legs, of course, the best exercise is carried out in the game, such as playing basketball, football, table tennis, badminton , playing tennis, you need to run and have fun need hands-on things, so you can increase your muscles will thickening unknowingly! The key is to adhere to!I wish you a speedy success!

Uhmm.....

I'm going to say no.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Everyone can benefit from weight training- just to say boxer's don't bulk is silly.

If the man doesn't have much muscle mass to begin with- just doing straight boxer training isn't' going to get him where he wants to be.

OP- get him set up with an account. Figure out TDEE- do maintance for a month- get a base line.

Then get him weight training on Strong lifts, Starting strength or New Rules of Lifting...

have him eat all the things.

Then enjoy the results.
  • BigWin20
    BigWin20 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Is this what HE wants to do? If so, then you need to find his maintenance calories, then add about 300 cals. Limit his cardio/boxing etc to minimums. Use a program like Stronglifts 5x5. Or as someone commented above, see juggernaut fitness on youtube and get Jason Blaha's 5x5 beginner program. Have him do no curls, leg extensions, lateral raises, or any of that crap. Just basic, heavy compound movements. Then eat and sleep. Gaining muscle/strength is NOT THAT HARD. I've been in gyms for almost 25 years now and was a personal trainer for 9. I've seen very few people over the years that said they were "hardgainers" that ate enough or lifted heavy enough consistently and progressively. If he still isn't gaining then up the calories by another 150 or so. And add more weight to the bar. That simple.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Only split I know is a bro split ... I think it's # 1 cause it's the one I do . . .
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Uhmm.....

I'm going to say no.

But look at the bulky leg muscles those distance runners have.
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Never seen a body-builder run a marathon, nor a distance runners squat twice his bodyweight. Anyhow. If he's been a boxer, do you not think he might be HAPPY with how he is? Size isn't everything. I have thin arms and no shoulders but can press and lift more than most. You need to consider what he wants, not what you want. I want my wife to get fitter but she has to make that step, not me.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Uhmm.....

I'm going to say no.

But look at the bulky leg muscles those distance runners have.

Dem gainz....