Anyone doing Slimfast?

Options
I started Slimfast 1 week ago and have lost 3 pounds. I am not wanting to use this long term, just trying to get jumpstarted in the weight loss. I also do not want to figure out 3 healthy meals. It seems like I can find time to atleast come up with one healthy meal. Believe it or not.....I have not cheated once. I just wonder if anyone has had any success with this.

Thanks!

Replies

• MMFabrizio
    Options
    Yes, I'm just starting again, and I plan to use Slim Fast. It worked for me before when I had to get weight off after having 2 babies in 2 years. And I was able to keep it off for years. But I'm 39 now, and with time, I did put on some pounds again. Then I had surgery on my ankle, and am just getting mobile again after that - that added another 3 inches to my hips =/.

I plan on doing Slim Fast again, as it is hard enough to plan out and make one healthy meal, let alone 3. But as we get used to it and it becomes habit, it'll get easier and easier. The next step for me would be to go down to 1 Slim Fast and make 2 healthy meals. And then completely healthy meals - although I might still occasionally have a slim fast for a snack if I'm short on some vitamins (getting all those vitamins in on low calories can be hard!)
  • clairekyty
    clairekyty Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm just starting slimfast today , and think that this could be the best plan for me I don't like to have to plan meals etc. so this plan takes out all of that for me. I'm hopeful this will work for me I have approximately 10-12 lbs to lose. I have to say I think much of my weight gain has happened over last 4 weeks when I stopped smoking and so I an determined to lose it again. How are peoe finding this diet. Is it easy to stick to?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    First you can't jump start weight loss, a car yes.. weight loss No. By using slim fast you aren't learning about portion control, you are going for a temporary fix which doesn't work in the long run. Planning meals is not very difficult, I usually spend Sunday cooking up different meals so the rest of the week is easy. If losing weight and getting healthy is important to you, figuring out how to do this healthy and sustainable will be worth it to you. If you are just looking for a quick fix, then good luck.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I would get off Slimfast when you can. Diets such as this involve irregular eating trends, making you want to go back to normal ways post diet. Plus they are a rip off.
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Slimfast since January 2012. We stock up on the shakes in January when the big coupons and sales come out for all the weight loss products. I am not strict on them and they are really there for a quick breakfast. I wouldn't really follow their 3-2-1 Plan. Just use them in conjunction with this site ad a means to run a calorie deficit.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I also do not want to figure out 3 healthy meals.

The thing is, figuring out healthy meals will be a pretty important part of being successful in losing weight. I would encourage you to do some research on quick, easy, healthy filling meals (they do exist, I promise) It will be really hard to sustain any weight lost in the long term without this.
  • gmstarr1
    gmstarr1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I love Slimfast! I like the French Vanilla. I don't follow the 3-2-1 plan though. I just have a shake for breakfast and sometimes lunch.

I just don't have the time to make breakfast and lunch everyday. I like the Slimfast, I don't get excessively hungry between meals like some people have claimed (I'm actually used to drinking my breakfast because breakfast used to be a Coca-Cola).

It's working for me, and I think it'll continue to work for me because I really like the drinks. But we'll see. :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - you will have sustained, long term success if you ditch the slim fast and eat in a moderate - 500 calorie - deficit per day and teach yourself portion control. It is not about "cooking healthy meals" it is about learning how to eat in a calorie deficit, and moving around/working out some..

You can eat ice cream, cookies, pizza, etc, as long as you maintain your calorie deficit…so eat the foods you love, just less of them, and you will have success...

good luck to you …
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    Don't see how difficult it can be to generate three decent meals. Most people on this site live in the Western world where convenience is key.

Unless you're into 'clean' eating (gag) in which case you shouldn't be using the Slimfast since it's chock full of God knows what and tastes vile to boot.

Better off just limiting portion sizes on what you currently eat, or if your diet really is that terrible then look for convenient lower calorie alternatives.

I live alone, work a busy job, rarely cook and I'm a fussy eater yet I manage to get three decent meals everyday. I just cut corners - my dinner is cooked approximately once weekly and frozen into portions (often roast chicken/chilli/casserole-type dishes with vegetables). For lunch I usually have soup and for convenience it is often canned soup. I'm not fussed about sodium. Breakfast is often toast and lots of peanut butter/baked beans or similar.

I ate similarly when I was 'dieting', just much smaller portions. With Slimfast - well you're not going to be drinking that muck for life (grossly overpriced as well).

Of course it helps not to be so stringent about what 'healthy eating' is. I make calorie allowances for lots of peanut butter, and cake and biscuits when required.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I managed about four weeks on Slimfast (when I was 240lbs) before I wanted to kill myself.
    I quit, got MFP, ate what I wanted within my calorie goal and dropped 70lbs.
    Stop giving stupid diet product manufacturers your money when you can do this for free and be happier.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    nope. not a chance. not even temporarily. not even once. besides, if you're only doing it temporarily... why do it at all? So you can have a liquid diet that makes your butt fall off for a few weeks until you just do what you're going to do for the rest of your life anyway and rely on food?

doesn't make a lot of sense to torture yourself for even that short of a period.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I never found Slimfast useful, and when you stop you gain... Why use it when there are so many fit meals out there? In the freezer section at the Market although high in sodium they are cheap and taste good. Then there is the deli and produce sections, which have nice salads already made and other things, those being fresh! Even 7-Eleven has salads, heck they have meat and the salad dressing and even the fork in them! They tell you all the nutrition information and calories right on the package... so the choices are out there and planning a meal is simple, even at home and meat or protein choice and veggies.

Try to think ahead and decide how you want to live in the future...
  • Dboggs166
    Dboggs166 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    OP, since you asked for other's results and not for criticism on your plan to start your weight loss journey, I would like to give you mine. I have found slimfast shakes to be a great way to have a quick filling breakfast or lunch. I try to eat healthy meals most of the time but the slimfast powder in milk with a little vanilla yogurt or a banana blended in has really helped me stay within my calorie goals.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I started Slimfast 1 week ago and have lost 3 pounds. I am not wanting to use this long term, just trying to get jumpstarted in the weight loss. I also do not want to figure out 3 healthy meals. It seems like I can find time to atleast come up with one healthy meal. Believe it or not.....I have not cheated once. I just wonder if anyone has had any success with this.

Thanks!
    Years ago I used slim fast for two weeks and lost about ten pounds or so, but when I started eating normally it all came back.

I never really lost fat, just water weight. Beware, what you are losing is NOT fat it's water.

Throw that Slimfast out the window (or in the garbage if you prefer), set up your weight loss goals in MFP, and start making lifestyle changes now.

Kick starting or jump starting weight loss is a fad or something.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Nope, I prefer eating food, something I can do for the rest of my life!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: Eggs, toast, half a banana OR Oatmeal, yogurt, fruit, walnuts, honey & cinnamon

Lunch: Chicken (leftover, canned, whatever), 1/2 cup pinto or black beans, avocado, plain Greek yogurt (2% or full fat), 1/2 oz cheese, salsa

Dinner: Pork tenderloin or chicken breast (throw some seasoning on it and grill or bake), microwave a sweet potato, steam or roast some green beans or broccoli

Boom - three real meals planned, took me less than a minute. Make extra dinner, leftovers are awesome for lunch. Leftover meat is perfect for the burrito bowl.

Slim Fast is temporary. Temporary "fixes" get you temporary results.
  • kxll01
    kxll01 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use slimfast for the days I don't hAve time to eat lunch or didn't make up my lunch. Normally I plan out my meals on my MFP AND STICK TO THEM
  • shonj85
    shonj85 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been on slimfast for about a month. I have not lost a significant amount of weight. I was losing more walking around my job and watching my calorie intake. I plan to join a gym within the next few weeks and think it will be better if I just count my calories. Also, I'd rather eat real food. The shakes (especially Vanilla) were not nasty but it really is a bad way to replace calories for me. It just isn't working.