Trying to gain but stay relatively lean

Hi Everyone, I thought I'd ask for some opinions on this one. I am a younger male and I am trying to slowly add weight after coming off of a cut. I cut about 20 pounds and now I have gained a few pounds in the last few weeks. I am taking pictures and I am trying to gain weight but stay relatively lean. My question is what is the best strategy for this? I am on a 50-25-25 ratio (carbs, proteins, fats) and I am wondering if I should eat differently on my off days than I do on my lifting days? I lift 3 times a week doing mainly compound excercises with one or two accessories each day. On my off days I often usually take about 30 minutes walks at a fast pace. I'm just wondering if I'm trying to stay sort of lean, should I change my ratio on my off days or should I eat the same every day? Thanks!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Fat gain is inevitable. Don't try to fight it.

I would say for a younger male lifting- just eat all the things- and lift all the things- take advantage of the growing and newb gains you can get- stop worrying about the fat and just pack on as much muscle as you can right now- after this period it becomes harder to do.

I'd probably go for more protein to be honest- but I prefer protein to carbs.

Do you know what your surplus is?
    The sweet spot for muscle gain is right at the point of "clean" bulk to where it tips to a "dirty" bulk.
    Clean bulk is a small surplus- dirty being a large one, for men usually that line is somewhere around 500- for women 500 over is pushing dirty- we do better around 250-500ish.

Obviously every person is different- so it's not an exact number- it's very trial and error- but since you are young- push the food and pack the muscle- this is a great opportunity to really get some big solid gains- it won't happen again like this for you.
  • popmaeas
    popmaeas Posts: 11 Member
    ok thanks! I definitely am gonna up the calories a bit and I will experiment and see what works.
  • armnhammer85
    armnhammer85 Posts: 3 Member
    I would definitely increase your protein intake at 25% I'd say thats too low. Many do 40/40/20 carb/pro/fat. Also on your off days If your going to eat complex cards maybe eat them at breakfast and lunch and then stick to fruits/veg's for the rest of carbs for the day.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Fat gain is inevitable. Don't try to fight it.

I would say for a younger male lifting- just eat all the things- and lift all the things- take advantage of the growing and newb gains you can get- stop worrying about the fat and just pack on as much muscle as you can right now- after this period it becomes harder to do.

I'd probably go for more protein to be honest- but I prefer protein to carbs.

Do you know what your surplus is?
    The sweet spot for muscle gain is right at the point of "clean" bulk to where it tips to a "dirty" bulk.
    Clean bulk is a small surplus- dirty being a large one, for men usually that line is somewhere around 500- for women 500 over is pushing dirty- we do better around 250-500ish.

Obviously every person is different- so it's not an exact number- it's very trial and error- but since you are young- push the food and pack the muscle- this is a great opportunity to really get some big solid gains- it won't happen again like this for you.

This ^^^^

250 is a good number to start and gauge from. Try to not worry about staying lean to much, it will drive you crazy, it's a slow process s it is with a big surplus sometimes. Let the cut take care of that later.

I also agree on more protein. 40\40\20 is a good starting point

I don't believe in changing your macros on non lifting days, especially if you're on a bulk. Everyone says, muscle growth happens on off days and resting, so why would you deprive your body of those days? If anything you should eat a little more.