Do you eat when you are not hungry when trying to gain?

Options
It's a hard thing for me to do, but I am trying. I am not trying to bulk or gain a ton of weight, just to ensure that I do not lose additional weight due to a current Crohn's flare. Just wondering if anyone else runs into this problem and if you have any advice to ensure that you can fit all of your calories in by the end of the day, even if your body isn't really wanting them?

Replies

• KoopaSix
    KoopaSix Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    ALL-THE-TIME...I usually bulk between 3500-4000 cals. If it's mid day and I'm down 1500-2000 cals I HAVE to eat it or I wont gain..you get used to it though. What really sucks, is like now, I'm cutting (started Mid Jan) and you get so used to eating at bulk cals it can be very difficult adjusting to a deficit. But again..you get used to it.

Focus on calorie dense foods..for me its all natural peanut butter/whole eggs...I eat a crap ton of carbs when bulking. Usually around 350-500 depending on what training I'll be doing for that day.

The thing with building muscle is your body doesn't want to do it. It has no need for it and would much rather turn excess calories to fat. Fat is fuel and assures survival during famine. Our bodies are the exact same as they were 2000 years ago, nothing has changed besides having an ample supply of food at our beckon call. You have to create an environment that makes your body build the lean mass.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Yes!

But sometimes I cheat and do a little bit of a morning IF thing and delay breakfast until I get hungry. The downside of that is that it makes it too easy to have to cram 2000+ calories into the last 5 hours of the day...which then perpetuates the issue the next morning.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I have a gluten intolerance, so sometimes carbs can be difficult. Most of mine end up coming from sugar. I think I tend to eat a good bit of fat, but it ends up filling me up. Right now I am staring at this banana that I should be eating, but I have no interest in it. What will end up happening is that I go home, eat dinner, and end up having a glass of wine to balance out my day, which is not very good for my digestive system. Sometimes I think this is harder than losing weight...
  • ndrec
    ndrec Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think this is harder than losing weight...

spot on. losing weight is piece of cake compared to controlled surplus. i usually drink my meals when i'm not hungry (blended cottage cheese with banana, reduced fat cacao powder, peanut butter and oats, for example). if you are tired of chewing, drink it ;)
  • KoopaSix
    KoopaSix Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I have a gluten intolerance, so sometimes carbs can be difficult. Most of mine end up coming from sugar. I think I tend to eat a good bit of fat, but it ends up filling me up. Right now I am staring at this banana that I should be eating, but I have no interest in it. What will end up happening is that I go home, eat dinner, and end up having a glass of wine to balance out my day, which is not very good for my digestive system. Sometimes I think this is harder than losing weight...

Well there you go..you can bulk just fine with low carbs. Several people do it..you'd be getting alot of your surplus from fats which is fine. I'd focus on a crap ton of peanutbutter....damn I love me some PB, lean cuts of meat, veggies, whole eggs (when cutting I have 6-8 a day) they really are natures power food. Don't feed into the "omg that'll give you high cholesterol!" This was debunked several years ago and it was found that cholesterol in eggs do not effect LDL levels. This years bulk/off season I'll probably be eating between 10-12 a day.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    It's much harder for me! I've noticed that each time I've increased calories, it'll be really difficult to hit the higher goal for a few days, maybe a week, and then my appetite will catch up. That's not to say that I don't have days when I suddenly have no appetite and it's a struggle to hit my goal, but for the most part my appetite has adjusted and I'm hungry on a regular basis again.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Haha - what's 'not hungry'?
  • rileyhall00
    Options

Agreed. We see results quicker with losing weight and eating wise I feel i do a lot better. Easier to stay motivated. While with bulking i find I've really gotta force myself to eat, and my whole day is kinda structured around eating, for eg: getting up earlier to sneak in breakfast before the gym, then having like a 2nd breakfast after the gym, and i dunno about you guys but i rarely feel hungry after the gym, its just forced.

Anyways I like to sneak in a lot of milk / protein drinks. Peanut butter on anything. Eggs are a good one too.Walnuts and Almonds.! Oh and ice cream.!
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    it's hard to bulk...Didn't even had the money to keep going ... You need lots of food...and good food. So it's not cheap!

When not hungry... take protein shakes.... add banana etc or if you want to raise carbs...you can buy powder carbs (not expensive) and add some to your shakes... it's the easiest way.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    it's hard to bulk...Didn't even had the money to keep going ... You need lots of food...and good food. So it's not cheap!

When not hungry... take protein shakes.... add banana etc or if you want to raise carbs...you can buy powder carbs (not expensive) and add some to your shakes... it's the easiest way.

meh- ice cream isn't that expensive- I can get 2 for like 6 bucks- throw some oreo's on top and 12-18 oz of milk and that's pushing 800+ calories for at least a week!

When it becomes difficult to physically eat that much- getting the ##'s up is more important than the quality. Yes- you need to hit protein and carb goals- but no one every survives eating 10 baked chickens and 10 buckets of quiona for months on end.

but yes- bulking is hard.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options

meh- ice cream isn't that expensive- I can get 2 for like 6 bucks- throw some oreo's on top and 12-18 oz of milk and that's pushing 800+ calories for at least a week!

When it becomes difficult to physically eat that much- getting the ##'s up is more important than the quality. Yes- you need to hit protein and carb goals- but no one every survives eating 10 baked chickens and 10 buckets of quiona for months on end.

And no one survives eating 20 lbs of raw vegetables a day either. I see some of my MFP friends who are vegan and happy...and I think to myself...I_ just_couldn't_ do_it!

I'm actually eating mostly "clean" food at 3000-3500 calories right now. Not drinking any of my food either.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Yep. On a bulk you eat til you hit your numbers, hungry or not. It's no fun playing catch-up at the end of the day either.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I have a gluten intolerance, so sometimes carbs can be difficult.

Well there you go..you can bulk just fine with low carbs. Several people do it..you'd be getting alot of your surplus from fats which is fine. I'd focus on a crap ton of peanutbutter....damn I love me some PB, lean cuts of meat, veggies, whole eggs (when cutting I have 6-8 a day) they really are natures power food. Don't feed into the "omg that'll give you high cholesterol!" This was debunked several years ago and it was found that cholesterol in eggs do not effect LDL levels. This years bulk/off season I'll probably be eating between 10-12 a day.

tagged TYVM
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    What is TYVM?
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm always hungry
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    thank you very much :flowerforyou:
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    When I started bulking I struggled to eat the extra calories but now I find I'm simultaneously hungry and full 24/7 lol. I eat from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed and take pleasure in it :smile:
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

This. Last night I threw ice cream, milk, a banana, and a scoop of protein powder in the blender and chug-a-lug.