How to get toned muscles?

Options
Hi. I'm 23 years old, female, 5'4", and weigh 132.5 lbs right now. I started MFP March 20th 2012 at 234 lbs and have been very successful in losing weight by counting calories and cardio, cardio, cardio... I have occasionally gotten on my home gym system to do weights or have used small dumbbells during a cardio exercise, but I am unhappy with how I look when naked. I have flab in my stomach and thighs that I wish would go away. I know I have muscles because I can feel them, but I can't see them. Now, I don't want to be RIPPED or anything, but I'm unsure what to do in order to get defined muscles.

Can someone help on what to do? I'm a very picky eater so I'm not sure how I'd be getting protein in if that's required. I hate shakes so I think this will be a struggle. I feel hopeless about all of this. I'm scared because I hear of bulking and cutting and how many calories you'd have to eat. I'm also deathly afraid of the number on the scale going up. I've so wanted to weigh 125 but I don't think I'll be happy there if my stomach is hanging and my thighs are bulging.

Measurements right now are pretty good.
BF% is 21
Bust is 30.8 inches
Waist is 23.25 inches
Hips are 30.25 inches
Thighs are 18.8 inches
arms are 9 inches.

but I really want to get toned.

Please help me understand lifting and how to eat when lifting. Thank you!

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Are you getting your bf% reading from a scale? I ask as you probably won't be 'flabby' at 21%.

Just keep doing what you're doing, strength training will strengthen or build muscle depending on wether you are at deficit or surplus. Stripping back the fat is all about your calorie deficit - unfortunately we can't 'spot reduce' and it will come off where it will. Just keep cutting the fat and eventually it will go and you'll get the toned look you're after.

ETA: make sure your routine gets progressively harder - be that harder versions of body weight stuff or getting heavier on the weights.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you have significant fat on your stomach and thighs, it's likely that your bodyfat is higher than 21%. How have you been measuring? Basically you need to lower body fat and work those muscles to start looking defined.

Protein is a struggle for me, too. I suggest eating more meat and trying as many different protein supplements (they have some pretty good bars out there) as you can find. I like the omega pumpkin protein powder. While it doesn't have a ton of protein, you can mix it into smoothies and it doesn't taste like much. Some people argue that not all plant proteins are complete...I say something is better than nothing for really picky people.

Start lifting heavier. Some women end up getting bigger but the majority of us don't. It takes a LOT of work to gain muscle, and it won't happen accidentally. I used 5 lb weights the first time I did 30 Day Shred (the first time I did any strength training) and am currently about to increase from 15 lbs. My muscles are a little more defined, but I don't look ripped. I don't use the gym machines, and just bought myself a set 40 lb set of free weights to start. You can get one for 35 bucks at Walmart or try Craigslist.

Stop worrying about the number on the scale. Worry about your measurements, how you look, and how strong you are.
  • 3laine75
    Options

Please help me understand lifting and how to eat when lifting. Thank you!

This depends on your goals.

You can stay at deficit and strengthen what you already have for a good few months - you might even build a tiny bit of muscle from 'newbie gains'

You can eat at a tiny bit above maintainance and do a sllooowwww recomp (I tried this, I wouldn't recommend this)

You can eat at surplus and build muscle. I'd recommend trying to only gain 0.5 lb a week as, generally, women can only build 0.25lb muscle per week. This is not as scary as it sounds - I have gained 7 lb but only 0.5 inches on my waist (bust 1.5, ribs 1 and hips 1). You obviously gain some fat at the same time but cut that back later.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Your weight on the scale is going to have to go up to get that toned look. Your body fat % will go down.

Read Staci's story below. That's how you get toned in the quickest way possible.

www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    well. Let's get some things straight.

Toning is kind of a fake word that was made up the women's fitness magazines.

You're muscles can get stronger/more dense- they can shrink or they can grow. That 'toned' thing is a combination of low (lower rather) body fat- and some solid muscle.

It sounds like right you need to be doing right now is just worry about lifting. At 132.5 at 5'3"- I highly suspect you are not 21% bodyfat- that seems to low for that height weight (I could be wrong by my bestie is 5'5" and she floats around 125-135 and she typically isn't defined enough to be 21% unless she's low 120's or even under.

So. Get thee to a gym and learn how to lift. I wouldn't worry right now about bulk or cut- I would just eat at kind of a level pace and lift. lift lift lift.

This next year can spring board you into the best body you have had with the gains you can get (the aforementioned newb gains)

Check out
    Strong lifts
    New rules of lifting for women
    Starting strength
    Strong curves.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Your weight on the scale is going to have to go up to get that toned look. Your body fat % will go down.

Read Staci's story below. That's how you get toned in the quickest way possible.

www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

I was just running off to find this story!!

That's it! Eat Clean. Pick up heavy things, put them down, repeat.
  • tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I get my BF% reading from a hand held body fat monitor--it's the same one the gym I used to go to had for the trainer to test body fat. I had my dad and brother both use it and they seem right on. They have been lifting forever and are very muscular and my dad reads around 16% and my brother is at 14%, completely correct sounding in my book.

And even in September I had my BF% taken at a health fair and was 23.7% and that was some sort of reading taken from my upper arm....
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    And...learn to break up with the scale. It's not the best measure of success. Concentrate on how your clothes fit, how you look, how you feel, and how you're progressing in the gym :flowerforyou:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    That wasn't a personal ding- just an observation.

That and most people typically shoot low on BF%- we are normally 5-10% higher than we think we are.

Don't worry about it- it's not really that relevant right now.

Just start lifting- and see how strong you can get- make that the focus.
  • tristaj90
    Options

The problem with eating clean is the fact that I'm so picky. The only fruit I eat is apples and the only vegetables I'll eat are green beans, potatoes, and corn. I hate wheat breads and whole grain breads...
    I guess I'm just doomed to look flabby. My mom wishes she could look like me but I am just not happy with my appearance.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Subscribing
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

The problem with eating clean is the fact that I'm so picky. The only fruit I eat is apples and the only vegetables I'll eat are green beans, potatoes, and corn. I hate wheat breads and whole grain breads...
    I guess I'm just doomed to look flabby. My mom wishes she could look like me but I am just not happy with my appearance.

You don't have to eat clean. Just meet your macros with whatever food you want. Eat the fruits and veggies you can for your own health, but eating clean isn't what makes muscle or reduces body fat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    I get my BF% reading from a hand held body fat monitor--it's the same one the gym I used to go to had for the trainer to test body fat. I had my dad and brother both use it and they seem right on. They have been lifting forever and are very muscular and my dad reads around 16% and my brother is at 14%, completely correct sounding in my book.

And even in September I had my BF% taken at a health fair and was 23.7% and that was some sort of reading taken from my upper arm....
    Bio impedance readers can easily be manipulated by how much water is in your body. That's why you could take a reading, drink about 16oz of water, then in a few minutes have a lower body fat reading. Based on your profile pic, I venture to say you're in the 23%-25% BF range.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tristaj90
    Options
    I forget how to add pics but I'd be able to post the pics that I took after finishing alpha round of T25...
    When I take my BF% I do it right after waking up. I haven't eaten/drank anything, no food, no exercise, no shower. That should be honestly the lowest amount of water in my system. I pee like 4 times during the night so I'm sure all the water is out. (I just naturally have to use the bathroom a lot)..
  • krysannboggs
    krysannboggs Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Read "New Rules of Lifting for Women". So many women don't really understand how to build muscle. "Toning" is a word that fitness magazines have made up to make the idea of building muscle seem less intimidating to women. I highly recommend reading the book. It's very informative and comes with a customizable training plan.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I agree with JoRocka- you get the "Toned" look by building muscle and lowering body fat. You can do both by lifting weights but you have to work, i.e. Lift as heavy as you can. The books recommended by Jo are great! And it really helps to take in plenty of protein. If you cannot find a supplement that you like, there are foods like egg whites, tuna in water, chicken breasts that have lots of protein without lots of calories. Eating Plenty of vegetables is good too - I think the vitamins and minerals help you fell good and keep you healthy.

Don't be afraid of looking ripped! You have a long way to go before that happens, and it won't happen overnight, so you will have ample opportunity to stop if you think you're getting too muscular. And believe me, those hard-won muscles don't hang around for long when you stop working them!

Many people on this forum will tell you you cannot lose fat and build muscle at the same time. I have found that not to be true. I can eat at a deficit, although not a huge one, and lose bodyfat and build muscle at the same time as long as I'm getting enough protein. I am 68 years old and have been working out with weights for 28 years, so I am not a newbie. I'm sure you can build muscle faster with more food, but bulking is not necessary. If I can do it at my age, you probably can too, so don't be afraid to try!
  • 3laine75
    Options
    Should also have said, is your ticker accurate? If so, amazing loss - well done! If your feeling flabby and you're sure your bf reading is about right then maybe you have some loose skin that hasn't caught up with you yet. I've heard that skin can take upto 2 years to snap back.
  • tristaj90
    Options
    Should also have said, is your ticker accurate? If so, amazing loss - well done! If your feeling flabby and you're sure your bf reading is about right then maybe you have some loose skin that hasn't caught up with you yet. I've heard that skin can take upto 2 years to snap back.

yes it is accurate. Thank you! I started here in March 2012 at 234 lbs after having a baby in November 2011. I got down to 133.6 by May 2013 but gained back 12 lbs within 2 months and struggled with that until January 2014 when I started losing again. I am down to 132.6 now but I got to 130.6 on Saturday...Looking to get to 125 if possible.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

You don't have to eat clean. Just meet your macros with whatever food you want. Eat the fruits and veggies you can for your own health, but eating clean isn't what makes muscle or reduces body fat.

Just popping in to emphasize this point right here.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    HEAVY COMPOUND LIFTS