Prenatal vitamins & weight gain

Options
I just started taking prenatal vitamins for my hair and nail growth about a month ago. My friend told me this weekend that her doc advise her not to take those because they lead to weight gain. Does anyone know about this or have any experience with it?

Replies

• verbifyvenus
    verbifyvenus Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I work at an OB/Gyn clinic and there is no truth to that. It's the same as a multi, but with less vit A and more folic acid. None of which cause weight gain.
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    That's fascinating. I definitely gained weight once I started taking a prenatal, but I don't know if I can attribute it to that or going off of birth control or eating more meals to get a healthy balance of food (and thus more calories). I can't understand why they would lead to weight gain.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    If you look at the ingredients they aren't that different.

My husband swears when he takes any vitamin he eats more food, because he feels like he is starving. Has your appetite changed?
  • TKelly06
    TKelly06 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have been taking prenatal vitamins for about 8 months now and I see no weight gain.
  • asteppaway
    asteppaway Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Nah I don't think so...I had a HUGE bottle of prenatals during my pregnancy and have been taking them since then to not be wasteful...I've steadily lost weight even though I am still on them.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I was put on birth control and prenatal vitamins two months ago by my dr and my weight loss has slowed down a bit but it is still a loss and not a gain. This is probably because of the birth control more then the vitamins.
  • SuzanneRogers
    SuzanneRogers Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have taken Prenatal for last 7 years. i just lost 65 lbs after having twins, and no they don't cause weight gain. They help keep you body in check, you eat better when you take them you don't crave as much junk in my experience. I take plant based ones easier on tummy.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    Be careful because they contain more iron and too much iron can really mess up your liver....the liver can't work to remove fat properly. I saw a thing on Good Morning America about it.
  • suzie1983
    Options
    instead of prenatal vitamins i take a hair skin and nail pill from gmc
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Just take a good mulit for active women and eat healthy and that is all you need for good hair and nails
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    I usually take fish oil for my hair, skin, and nails
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I'm a cosmetologist and the best thing you can supplement for healthy hair, skin and nails are good fats (omega-3s) and Biotin. I have no clue about prenatals. I have heard that the reason your hair and nails grow during pregnancy are because your body is in "grow mode" growing a baby and replenishing your cells quicker to keep you healthy. I'm not sure about that.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    My diabetes doc put me on them for some anemia problems I was having. I should not be needing a nap when I get home from the gym. Exercise is supposed to help you feel energized, not exhausted. They've helped with the energy issue, and I haven't noticed them interfering with my weight loss journey.
  • chelsealjames
    chelsealjames Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    So you when you got on birth control you gained? Cause I am on that as well; maybe that is contributing....
  • chelsealjames
    chelsealjames Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I was put on birth control and prenatal vitamins two months ago by my dr and my weight loss has slowed down a bit but it is still a loss and not a gain. This is probably because of the birth control more then the vitamins.

So you when you got on birth control you gained? Cause I am on that as well; maybe that is contributing....
  • Beebee78
    Beebee78 Posts: 703
    Options
    I'm a cosmetologist and the best thing you can supplement for healthy hair, skin and nails are good fats (omega-3s) and Biotin. I have no clue about prenatals. I have heard that the reason your hair and nails grow during pregnancy are because your body is in "grow mode" growing a baby and replenishing your cells quicker to keep you healthy. I'm not sure about that.

When I was under a fertility consultant I was advised to only take prenatal vitamins for 3 months before starting trying to conceive and to have a break inbetween because of the iron content and effect on the liver.

I eat a lot of nuts and high protein foods and my hair and nails - and skin for that fact have improved greatly with this xxx
  • kgesq
    kgesq Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I never knew this, and it now explains years of weight gain! I continued my pre-nates after brestfeeding (per the recommendation of the vitamins themselves) Unlike most women, I did not experience this huge drop in weight while breastfeeding and lost basically nothing. I got pregnant again shortly after stopping breastfeeding, so I started them again. I basically wasn't eating for the first few months of both of my pregnancies due to a.m. sickness (severe), but I seemed to have no issues gaining weight. Recently, I experienced a 7 lb weight gain. Why? The store was out of my regular vitamins and I thought it couldn't hurt to pick up the prenatal version. So after a month, I'm steadily going up up up...finally a lightbulb goes off. I got off of them earlier this week. I've already lost three pounds (and bought the right vitamins, now). So YES, they can cause weight gain. I wish I had realized this sooner!!!!
  • kgesq
    kgesq Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    (I should add, I think these vitamins contained something to ease stomach discomfort, but I think it actually might stimulate appetite. So yes, my eating habits were a factor--just to clarify! But I had lost weight doing MFP, and kept it off for over a year before going back on prenates and gaining 7 lbs -- up 10 from when I originally lost the weight)
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My friend told me this weekend that her doc advise her not to take those because they lead to weight gain.

utter horse poop. Do regular multivitamins cause you weight gain? The prenatal vitamins are not drastically different.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    That is ridiculous!!!!!!! What kind of a doctor says those lies!!!!! He's a quack!