Stocking up for Bad Days

Options
Today's been a lousy day for a number of reasons.

Lousy days destroy me and while I'm lucky enough to have never been much of an emotional eater, it does sap my will to do things like "wash dishes" and "cook".

So I had a salad from McDonald's for lunch and leftover sauteed eggplant/veggies/fried tofu from a Thai restaurant I went to last night for dinner.

Not necessarily bad for my numbers (high on sodium, but my calories and my macros were alright) but I'm sure I certainly could do better. I shouldn't be eating out at all, but "mental health days" happen fairly often for me and I need to be better prepared for them.

What do you guys keep around for the days you know damn well you're not going to cook for whatever reason? In the past, when I don't just get take-out or delivery, I might do the slow all day crudite graze (not terribly complete, nutritionally) or just avoid eating altogether because even that takes too much effort.

I guess I just want to know what sorts of things I could stockpile for days like this.

Replies

• ButYouGotMySoul
    ButYouGotMySoul Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know things like this. Thus far, I've been stockpiling the campbell's healthy choice soups, and just heating those up, but that's probably not the best either.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    No real solutions here... just understand these feels completely.
  • AnthonyThrashD
    AnthonyThrashD Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    low calorie popcorn
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I keep canned tuna and protein powder on hand for days that I just can't be bothered to make chicken or beef.

Not gonna lie, I also have corn dogs and poptarts. Bags of veggies that I can snack on. Popcorn. Lean pockets. I can't be perfect everyday. Sometimes you just need comfort foods. Not everyday, but this way I can still be in my calories and just be lazy sometimes.
  • SpicyBaconCake
    SpicyBaconCake Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I like to stock up on boiled eggs, cottage cheese and canned fruit (no sugar added). I usually have some chicken breast already cooked in the fridge to reheat or toss on a salad. Leftovers are great for those mental health days. I tend to do the grazing thing, and lean toward carbs on those days, with popcorn, cheese and crackers, and maybe drink a protein shake... which I also buy at sam's club so I only have to shake it. Sandwiches too, just watch out for sodium on cold cuts. I usually have some tuna already made up, or at least have the eggs to mix it up real quick. With the sara lee 45 calorie bread, a tuna sandwich costs me under 200 calories. Cause you know I ain't getting up to work out and earn calories if I won't even cook :drinker:
    Much luck to ya ~
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    well 2 1/2 years in and I have never been too tired to throw a sweet potato into a zip-n-steam bag and into the microwave. I cook all week and always have some leftovers in the fridge as well. there are always options. But honestly eating out once or twice a week is not the end of the world. Log it and adjust.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Could you make up batches of stews or soups that you can freeze & then thaw/reheat on days like those?

A slow cooker might be an option as you just chuck everything in & leave it to do its thing.
  • vaporhockey83
    vaporhockey83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Tuna salad packets and individual packets of guacamole (100 calories) for a tuna fish sandwich, Lean Pockets, Campbell's Chunky Soups that are around 250-300 calories total, chicken or steak fajita meat with a low carb wheat tortilla, Special K Breakfast sandwiches (turkey sausage, wheat flat bread, egg) for 250 calories, and definitely protein powder. Just some of my simple things when I'm not in the mood to make a meal that produces a ton of dish washing and the likes.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches and soups are definitely great ideas, and I do love using my crockpot. Thanks for your ideas (and your sympathy!)
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I don't know why I quit keeping tuna around, but I should definitely go back to doing that.

Tuna and guacamole, though? Never tried that together. Sounds interesting.
  • dearbornfirefly
    Options
    Great to read all these suggestions, as I need ideas too! For me, I also found a few Lean Cuisine frozen dinners that I really like, so I'll have one of those with some raw vegetables (pre-cut from the store, it is worth the extra money), with the 0 calorie Walden farms dressing as a dip, and Greek yogurt, or Stonyfield chocolate yogurt for dessert. Thanks for this question so that we can all share these helpful hints, good luck!
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Frozen berries and Greek yogurt.
    Grill 14 chicken breasts at a time and freeze them individually.
    Frozen veggies
    As mentioned, tuna, soup and avocados.