Anyone hit the magic recomp formula?

Options
I was 307lb of lard a few years ago, peeled off to around 220. Started powerlifting recently. 38 years old. Seems I can't dial in the right diet for muscle gain without adding blubber too. I am on the Wendler 5/3/1 program and when I eat enough for strength, I get a lot of fat. Otherwise I'm weak.

Anyone managed to hit that magic number where you can gain muscle without adding a bunch of fat too?

Replies

• CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Like you I was about 300#. I have never bulked once, I have only cut and recomped. So pics or it didn't happen right.

GLZ7iev.jpg

That is about 1 year worth of recomping, the pics are a little old now so I have a bit more muscle now, but not much.

The magic formula is to know your body fat %, if you get under 12% eat more if you get over 16% eat less and don't be a little btch when it comes to lifting. Just because you are not eating as much as normal doesn't give you a pass for being weak.

Also how long have you been lifting and what are your big 3? 5/3/1 is good but its a little more advanced.
  • mRoss27
    mRoss27 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Recomping is something that is only really possible under two circumstances:
    1. You are completely new to weight training (newbie gains)
    2. You are severely overweight
    Once you are past your first 6 months lifting or you are at a normal, healthy weight, then you must either be in a caloric surplus, where the goal is to gain as much muscle with as little fat as possible (although gaining some fat is inevitable), or in a caloric deficit where the goal is losing as much fat while maintaining as much muscle as possible.
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Once you are past your first 6 months lifting or you are at a normal, healthy weight, then you must either be in a caloric surplus, where the goal is to gain as much muscle with as little fat as possible (although gaining some fat is inevitable), or in a caloric deficit where the goal is losing as much fat while maintaining as much muscle as possible.
    2) isn't exactly true. Skinny-fat people and slightly overweight people have had recomp success. :)

OP, have you adjusted your info to get your new TDEE since you're now at a new weight and age? Your maintenance would've changed too.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Gonna disagree with point 1 on this one.

Me in 2007, and I was lifting weights....but prolly not eating right or lifting right.
    003_22A_zpsb0941a7d.jpg

The pic in my profile was from a few days ago.

2 I disagree with also, see above.
  • mRoss27
    mRoss27 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree I did fail to explain it properly. What I mean that when someone is new to training properly and dieting properly then, in a moderate caloric deficit, they can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. I didnt mean that someone that walks into a gym and starts picking up weights will inevitably lose fat and gain muscle. In that picture you might have made some muscle gains but you werent dieting properly and probably saw negligible results. If you had been when you first started then you would have seen muscle gains as well as fat loss. Those few who are genetically gifted can often defy most nutritional and training guidelines and recomp without much effort. However, most people get to a certain point where a surplus is needed to put on lean muscle and a deficit is needed to lose fat. Whoever started this post said they had been training for a few years, and if they are doing it properly during that period, a recomp becomes harder to accomplish.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If you've been lifting for a while, you will probably need to add fat in order to add muscle.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I agree I did fail to explain it properly. What I mean that when someone is new to training properly and dieting properly then, in a moderate caloric deficit, they can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. I didnt mean that someone that walks into a gym and starts picking up weights will inevitably lose fat and gain muscle. In that picture you might have made some muscle gains but you werent dieting properly and probably saw negligible results. If you had been when you first started then you would have seen muscle gains as well as fat loss. Those few who are genetically gifted can often defy most nutritional and training guidelines and recomp without much effort. However, most people get to a certain point where a surplus is needed to put on lean muscle and a deficit is needed to lose fat. Whoever started this post said they had been training for a few years, and if they are doing it properly during that period, a recomp becomes harder to accomplish.

Ok then, me in 2004

014_11A_2_zps8255751c.jpg
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    This issue creates confusion for me

I read that you cannot build muscle in a deficit? That you should slow down lifting adds if in deficit, but you need to be in a defecit to lose bf.....

can someone please explain this recomping to me
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    After a year of trying I have come to the conclusion that "recomp" is code for: I suck at cutting. :tongue: