Some questions before starting "bulk period"...

Options
Hi, I've lost almost 22Lbs so far, dropped from 189 to 164Lbs. However, after six months, people tell me I need to start lifting, and I kind of agree with them. My arms are too skinny, and so are my legs, and even more noticeable because I'm 6"2' tall. I understand that what I need to do know is called "bulking", am I right?

However, please bear with me since I've got a few questions before I start, so that I don't screw up and gain back all of the fat I've lost.

1. What's the difference between calorie surplus + lifting, and just plain eating like a pig? What's gonna keep me from getting plain fat again?

2. How important is the amount of weights I lift? Should I try to steadily increase them each month/week?

3. Say I need 2700 cals for maintenance. Would a 10% surplus (2700+270=2970) be enough, at least to get things started?

4. How important is fat in foods? Should I eat only low fat foods?

Please help, and thanks!

Replies

• MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    1. What's the difference between calorie surplus + lifting, and just plain eating like a pig? What's gonna keep me from getting plain fat again?

Lifting weights and eating at a slight surplus will put on about 50% muscle 50% fat for beginners. Cutting the fat is a lot easier once you have some muscle. You already have the will power and disciple so it isn't that hard surprisingly after you bulk.

2. How important is the amount of weights I lift? Should I try to steadily increase them each month/week?

The amount of weight is very important in the beginning while your increasing your strength. After a couple of years, you'll lift for time under tension to get pump. That's down the road though. Lift heavy now and get that core strength up now.

3. Say I need 2700 cals for maintenance. Would a 10% surplus (2700+270=2970) be enough, at least to get things started?

It would be enough, but I wouldn't bulk yet in your situation. Most people start with a 500 calorie surplus and adjust from there. You should have all the heavy lifts down pat by the time you really start bulking. Don't bulk when say you're squatting 135 lbs 5x5 unless you have a naturally high metabolism and are normally skinny.

I'd say you eat at maintenance until the end of summer while getting all your lifts up. People who immediately bulk after cutting usually put on extra fat. Give your body time to adjust to its new fat level before bulking.

For now pick a beginner heavy lifting program and get stronger. Strong lifts, starting strength, ice cream fitness. There's some others too that others could recommend.

4. How important is fat in foods? Should I eat only low fat foods?

Good fats are very important. Get about .4 g / lb of body weight . Your testosterone levels will dip without fat. Of curse get good and lots protein too. You'll need extra carbs as well when bulking. Not as much when cutting.

It's a great journey, have fun with it!