"Clean Bulking" & Different diets? IF, 3, 6 meals

I have another question about "clean bulking." What do you think would be the best type of diet while trying to do a "clean bulk?" Does it really matter as long a I fit my macros and calorie intake? I'm currently eating 3 basic meals with a snack here and there. I'm curious about intermittent fasting tho. What are your thoughts on this and what are some things you guys do? BTW I do IIFYM LOL

Replies

• darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    I eat at "intermittent" times. I actually intake most of my macros the last 3 or 4 hours before I sleep. My friends and family say this is really bad for me and that I should stop being so "irregular" and be more "normal".
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Whatever method allows you to stay consistent with your intake. I follow IF, but not for any "special benefits". I just really like eating big meals, and it fits my schedule. I've been doing it a little over two years.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I'm not sure I understand the question.

What do you mean by what kind of diet do you do for a "clean bulk" and that you do IIFYM... I mean you kind of answered you're own question.

are you talking about small surplus clean bulk? in which case- hitting macro's are nice- but hitting calories is king.

or are you talking the mythical "clean food" bulking... which isn't a thing.. or at least it shouldn't be.

I'm not quiet clear.
  • Grumpyanon
    Grumpyanon Posts: 20 Member
    I think intermittent fasting is just a myth. Overweight people have had success with it because basically they end up skipping a meal. A friend tried it for a couple of months and nothing changed.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Doesn't matter as long as you get your macros and total calories correct. The benefit of IF is time management more than anything else. Which I think is good for busy people. I pretty much do IF all the time at least during the week because of work.

Weekends are pretty much grazing most of the time though.

All that really matters is the macros / calories which is why in my journal I don't break things down into 'breakfast', 'lunch', 'dinner' or anything like that. I just have it as 'food' and log the whole days stuff as I eat it.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    I do daily IF (2 meals a day) because it's easier planning only 2 meals instead of 3.
  • sculli123
    I think intermittent fasting is just a myth. Overweight people have had success with it because basically they end up skipping a meal. A friend tried it for a couple of months and nothing changed.
    I wouldn't say it's a myth, I'd say it's a misunderstood concept.
  • sculli123

I'm not quiet clear.
    Thought we were talkin' 'bout washing food. :laugh:
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Hitting your macro targets are all that matter at the end of the day. The most optimal "diet" is the one that allows you to hit your goals, plain and simple. IF, 3, 6 or 10 meals makes no difference. As stated earlier by JoRocka, I hope you are not referring to a "clean eating bulk" - that's just nonsense.

With a clean bulk, you are slightly (250-500 cals) over maintenance for purposes of keeping fat gain to a minimum. Understand that you WILL gain fat, but it won't be as much compared to a "dirty" bulk (500-1,000+ cals). Also know that it will be a slower process of gaining muscle compared to a "dirty" bulk.

I do know individuals that find it hard to do IF on a dirty bulk though, just because of all the food that needs to be comsumed in a short feeding window.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

I'm not quiet clear.
    Thought we were talkin' 'bout washing food. :laugh:

I still haven't figured out how to power wash my frozen pizzas yet!!!!

sweet new picture by the way (nomnomnom)
    I do know individuals that find it hard to do IF on a dirty bulk though, just because of all the food that needs to be comsumed in a short feeding window.

gosh I honestly don't know how anyone IF's on a bulk- it's just REALLY hard to eat that much food in a small window!!

I mostly IF because I like the way it works into my day- I can manage hunger better that way- so I do it for cutting- but for bulking- game on- time to suck it up and eat breakfast (I hate eating in the mornings)
    With a clean bulk, you are slightly (250-500 cals) over maintenance for purposes of keeping fat gain to a minimum. Understand that you WILL gain fat, but it won't be as much compared to a "dirty" bulk (500-1,000+ cals). Also know that it will be a slower process of gaining muscle compared to a "dirty" bulk.
    super duper thanks for writing that out!!!
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    I eat anything that I want to eat, as long as I hit my protein and calorie goal.