how to get doctors to not call me anorexic?

Options

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Several of your posts talk about the fear of fat - including getting screwed because your mom got the 85/15 turkey not the 99% lean turkey.

You talk about reducing calories because you only slept for 4 hours

Obsessing over 58 calories on your pedometer

Not to mention the post today about gain muscle BUT NOT FAT NO NO FAT

These are all major red flags. Just because you don't think you are anorexic doesn't mean that you are not. By all means get a second opinion - but if they agree you may have to accept that you might very well be.

You also went on about how tiny you are to justify eating around 1300 cals a day - but here you say you are 5'2

5'2 IS NOT TINY, I am 5'2 and lose weight on 1800 a day - I maintain on that with no exercise.

SO how much do you weigh?
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but I highly doubt you just accidentally got anorexic level underweight.

As anyone that is lean can attest to, your body has very powerful hormonal defenses against starvation that become absolutely brutal and unbearable the leaner you get.
  • rexroars
    rexroars Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Just go to another doctor :) I had a horrible experience with a doctor when I had a UTI, and she was *convinced* I had an STD even though I do not. I cried a LOT when I was at her office, but then I went to a different doctor and he was super warm and friendly and tested me for a UTI (which I had) and gave me medication for it go away!

Remember that doctors are people too :) That's one of the scariest things I think I kind of had the realization of growing up lol but yeah.. just find another.
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I ate 1800 cals yesterday!

In your other post you said you ate 540 calories over your TDEE yesterday. I'm 110% sure your TDEE is not 1260 calories, so what gives? Were you lying then or are you lying now?

Hence the TROLL comment.

When I read these posts, my brain hears a lot of panic. Maybe your doctor picked up on that? In the other post you call yourself "STUPID" and say that you are "PISSED OFF." I also see "guilt" and "paranoia."

Your doctor is on to something.
  • ezloshead
    ezloshead Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You cry about the doctor labeling you, yet it seems you label all girls with anorexia as crazies who don't know how to do anything but starve themselves.
    Also, maybe you're so defensive about it because your doctor is at least a little bit right.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    look up body dysmorphia.... on another note.. when seeking out a doctor one should always shop around... with something as important as health matters... one should always do their homework and interview, interview, interview...it is YOUR life this person is going to help you maintain...
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I've looked at your entire post history. Kudos to you for reaching out and getting help. In a few years, I hope that you'll be able to post a success story like this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1324837-a-different-kind-of-transformation
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Does the label really matter if you are getting the help you need? Anorexics need appointments with nutritionists to help gain weight. You want an appointment with a nutritionist to help gain wait. I'm sorry if it hurt your feelings but don't let that discourage you. Do want you need/want to do and gain weight. Then next time you need a doctor, pick a different one.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

On May 1 she weighed 86 pounds, from a prior thread. She would have to confirm whether or not she has successfully gained any since then.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

On May 1 she weighed 86 pounds, from a prior thread. She would have to confirm whether or not she has successfully gained any since then.

Never mind.
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Second opinion for sure!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Second opinion for sure!

She appears to be 5'2 and 86lbs - I don't think a second opinion is needed if that is true.
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Just go eat a sammich and drink a beer.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Go to the nutritionists appointment prepared. Take your food diary with you. Write down your questions on paper so you dont forget. Take it from there. Tell the nutritionist what the dr said. See what they have to say but most of all LISTEN... dont get defensive. Maybe they see something you dont see. Maybe they will say you are ok and will help you gain the weight healthily.
    Good luck
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Open your diary. What are you hiding? Eat more and enjoy it. Are you over-exercising on cardio? Stop the cardio for awhile and lift weights, weighted squats, pushups, planks, kettlebells, tricepts, lunges. All weighted. Eat plenty of healthy-fat and protein. Eat lots of it all. When you lift weights, your body needs to have that nourishment to keep strong. Pay attention to your nutritionist and your NEW doctor.

Have experienced doctors who "didn't get it" for my medical issue and yea it sucked & brought me down. I never went back to them. Found doctors in a bigger metropolis who didn't have that small-town backwards mentality and they were supportive.
    :flowerforyou:
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Just go eat a sammich and drink a beer.

Now that's advice that anyone should appreciate.
  • illtemperedcherry
    illtemperedcherry Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It sure sounds like the doctor used it as a labell but I do know (I work for doctors) that it is the diagnosis for people having trouble gaining/keeping on weight regardless of the why. I think you should call a gastro doctor in your area and ask for the dietitian that they recommend, trust me they'll have one.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Several of your posts talk about the fear of fat - including getting screwed because your mom got the 85/15 turkey not the 99% lean turkey.

You talk about reducing calories because you only slept for 4 hours

Obsessing over 58 calories on your pedometer

Not to mention the post today about gain muscle BUT NOT FAT NO NO FAT

These are all major red flags. Just because you don't think you are anorexic doesn't mean that you are not. By all means get a second opinion - but if they agree you may have to accept that you might very well be.

You also went on about how tiny you are to justify eating around 1300 cals a day - but here you say you are 5'2

5'2 IS NOT TINY, I am 5'2 and lose weight on 1800 a day - I maintain on that with no exercise.

QFT
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a problem with food, either mentally for a physical ailment, why do you need help from a doctor to gain weight?