Will weightlifting make me look slim?

Options
So various sources tell me that weightlifting makes anyone slimmer. I'm trying to slim down and I was wondering if weightlifting can do that. I wouldn't mind putting on a couple of pounds of muscles but I want to know if it will make my waist smaller or maybe make my body less, "jiggly"

Replies

• mstissa02
    mstissa02 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have a routine of lifting twice a week and completing thirty minutes of cardio afterwards. The other days I am doing a mixture of workout routines to shock my body. From September until now, I have seen a difference in my waist and clothes. Yeah, you are going to gain muscle weight, but will go away because it is increase your metabolism. In addition, you should add in core exercises as well to make your back and abs stronger. Youtube and Fitness Blender have great weight exercises. Also, check for your form when lifting weights. The wrong form can cause you to injure yourself. Hope this helps!
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    If by slimmer you mean less body fat you need to be in caloric deficit todo that. Lifting weight will help to maintain the muscle you have during the deficit.
  • infamous1997
    infamous1997 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    But if I did some abdominal, can my stomach become like flatter and more slim looking? (I'm a newbie to weightlifting}
  • infamous1997
    Options
    If by slimmer you mean less body fat you need to be in caloric deficit todo that. Lifting weight will help to maintain the muscle you have during the deficit.
    But if I did some abdominal, can my stomach become like flatter and more slim looking? (I'm a newbie to weightlifting}
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Muscle takes up 1/3 rd the space fat does, and more muscle helps to burn calories and fat.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options

Yes just make certain you're doing the stomach exercises correctly, if not, it won't work,
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

No.

it only works if you are eating at a calorie deficit.

The purpose of lifting helps maximize fat loss and minimize muscle loss.

A calorie deficit will only ensure that you drop weight- it doesn't not mean fat only- or muscle only- if you do it via diet alone- and no working out- you are almost for sure going to lose muscle mass along with your fat (that's not typically desirable- because it means you look like just a smaller version of what you are now)

so lift- gives you structure- calorie deficit gives you less body fat- which means you wind up being more defined- and less "jiggly"

MOAR lifting is almost always the answer.
  • infamous1997
    Options

No.

A calorie deficit will only ensure that you drop weight- it doesn't not mean fat only- or muscle only- if you do it via diet alone- and no working out- you are almost for sure going to lose muscle mass along with your fat (that's not typically desirable- because it means you look like just a smaller version of what you are now)

so lift- gives you structure- calorie deficit gives you less body fat- which means you wind up being more defined- and less "jiggly"

By calorie deficit, you mean like eating less right?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

Yes just make certain you're doing the stomach exercises correctly, if not, it won't work,

No. Those exercises will strengthen the core muscles, but the only that will slim and flatten the stomach is to reduce body fat. Which you do by calorie deficit.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

No.

By calorie deficit, you mean like eating less right?

Yes, that's what they mean..
  • cootason
    cootason Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I believe it does it also strengthens you up toning your body is great and weight lifting or body weight exercises are very good for keeping fit :) it has helped me drop from XXL to Large size shirts thanks to weight training and lifestyle changes.