Time to go to the mattresses!

Options
Been chatting on and off again on some of the posts here and decided I will make my own thread. (yay me).

Hi I'm Scott and I'm a foodaholic. (Hi Scott!). :)

I've been mired in complacency for years. Each time I told myself I could eat what I want and not gain much I would be stupid enough to believe it, (*kitten*), The result was going over 300 lbs.

It wasn't hard. I find I love to eat for taste. I could be stuffed but still eat something that tastes good. It was just SOOOO easy to remain complacent and since my stomach is easily one of the most spoiled, petulant creature EVER I was powerless to do anything but give in and shut the little monster up.

Friends and family were losing weight, many with their "I lost 100 lbs!" stories. I'd envy them but then would just convince myself I don't look that bad in the mirror as I celebrated with ice cream or something else I truly deserved. Then that dreaded time when someone would post a pic of me on Facebook and tag me in it, (DIE DIE DIE)! I'd usually say "great pic but who is that fat guy?"

I love movies. I'd see 50 first dates and watch Adam Sandler chase Drew Barrymore around a picnic in a park and think "I WANT TO DO THAT!" Not be chased by Adam Sandler per se because though it would be cool to meet him being chased romantically would be just, well, awkward, (not that there's anything WRONG with that -- Jerry Seinfeld). Not really chasing Drew Barrymore either I guess because though it would be kinda cool to chase her romantically (now that I think about it), I'd probably get depressed because she would easily get away, I'd be winded, and then the cops would probably show up and want to know why a fat guy is chasing an actress around in a park during a movie shoot and why does Adam Sandler look like he wants to kiss me....

But I digress.

In 2012 I lost 32 lbs. Then I quit MFP and gained nearly all of it back and have been over 300 for over a year. Last year I was going to the gym and riding the treadmill, but I didn't really change my eating habits and it was all for naught.

Then one day I just got fed up and went to battle with my head. THAT is our battleground in my humble opinion (IMHO). When the stomach starts demanding sustenance, it's the MIND that overpowers it and forces it to shut the fu...er...heck up and like what we're sending it.

So I got my head straight. I admitted I needed help and started by coming back to MFP. I also went back to the gym to get things back in perspective.

So as of this writing I'm down 24 lbs. Today is kind of a milestone too in that I just reached the same weight I'd reached in 2012 before I quit so was kind of a milestone day for The Scott Man, (wait for cessation of inevitable applause)....

So here we are, back in the fight. Whether you've just started and are hoping this time it sticks, or you're a seasoned pro who has attained their target weight and are maintaining (wanna go out? lol), this is where it all happens.

1. Don't stop MFP. EVER. You'll be tempted to, but it's all a trap derived by our spiritual enemies and those scoundrels who talk at the movies (must smite them).

2. Find your muse. Whatever it is. Find that which will cause you to get from day to day, minute to minute, and help you reach your goals. For me it was simple. "If you don't change....you're going to DIE sooner than you want." Doesn't get much more basic than that.

3. Make friends and be accountable.

4. Don't get discouraged and have fun!

I don't know why I numbered those or made a list but figured once I was at that particular tree maybe I should shake it and see what falls out. :)

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like. I'm pretty optimistic and will try to do my part to help you stay motivated.

Stay the course, YOU CAN DO IT!

Replies

• kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Been chatting on and off again on some of the posts here and decided I will make my own thread. (yay me).

Hi I'm Scott and I'm a foodaholic. (Hi Scott!). :)

I've been mired in complacency for years. Each time I told myself I could eat what I want and not gain much I would be stupid enough to believe it, (*kitten*), The result was going over 300 lbs.

It wasn't hard. I find I love to eat for taste. I could be stuffed but still eat something that tastes good. It was just SOOOO easy to remain complacent and since my stomach is easily one of the most spoiled, petulant creature EVER I was powerless to do anything but give in and shut the little monster up.

Friends and family were losing weight, many with their "I lost 100 lbs!" stories. I'd envy them but then would just convince myself I don't look that bad in the mirror as I celebrated with ice cream or something else I truly deserved. Then that dreaded time when someone would post a pic of me on Facebook and tag me in it, (DIE DIE DIE)! I'd usually say "great pic but who is that fat guy?"

I love movies. I'd see 50 first dates and watch Adam Sandler chase Drew Barrymore around a picnic in a park and think "I WANT TO DO THAT!" Not be chased by Adam Sandler per se because though it would be cool to meet him being chased romantically would be just, well, awkward, (not that there's anything WRONG with that -- Jerry Seinfeld). Not really chasing Drew Barrymore either I guess because though it would be kinda cool to chase her romantically (now that I think about it), I'd probably get depressed because she would easily get away, I'd be winded, and then the cops would probably show up and want to know why a fat guy is chasing and actress around in a park during a movie shoot and why does Adam Sandler look like he wants to kiss me....

But I digress.

In 2012 I lost 32 lbs. Then I quit MFP and gained nearly all of it back and have been over 300 for over a year. Last year I was going to the gym and riding the treadmill, but I didn't really change my eating habits and it was all for naught.

Then one day I just got fed up and went to battle with my head. THAT is our battleground in my humble opinion (IMHO). When the stomach starts demanding sustenance, it's the MIND that overpowers it and forces it to shut the fu...er...heck up and like what we're sending it.

So I got my head straight. I admitted I needed help and started by coming back to MFP. I also went back to the gym to get things back in perspective.

So as of this writing I'm down 24 lbs. Today is kind of a milestone too in that I just reached the same weight I'd reached in 2012 before I quit so was kind of a milestone day for The Scott Man, (wait for cessation of inevitable applause)....

So here we are, back in the fight. Whether you've just started and are hoping this time it sticks, or you're a seasoned pro who has attained their target weight and are maintaining (wanna go out? lol), this is where it all happens.

1. Don't stop MFP. EVER. You'll be tempted to, but it's all a trap derived by our spiritual enemies and those scoundrels who talk at the movies (must smite them).

2. Find your muse. Whatever it is. Find that which will cause you to get from day to day, minute to minute, and help you reach your goals. For me it was simple. "If you don't change....you're going to DIE sooner than you want." Doesn't get much more basic than that.

3. Make friends and be accountable.

4. Don't get discouraged and have fun!

I don't know why I numbered those or made a list but figured once I was at that particular tree maybe I should shake it and see what falls out. :)

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like. I'm pretty optimistic and will try to do my part to help you stay motivated.

Stay the course, YOU CAN DO IT!
    It sounds like your head and stomach are in the right place this time; welcome back.
  • phyllb
    phyllb Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Great story telling
    I need mfp. I need conscious eating
    Found some great support here
    Could always use/give more
    Feel free to add me as a friend
  • shadowjack1965
    shadowjack1965 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks! They are indeed though the latter does try to get out of line once in a while.
  • PurpleMomster
    PurpleMomster Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a plan this time - good for you!

I'm all about support and tough love when needed - that's why I enjoy MFP so much. The cheers when needed and the kick in the pants too :)

Good luck on your journey - feel free to add me.
  • nonacgp
    nonacgp Posts: 132
    Options
    I don't know what you do for a living but you should be a writer! Well said and quite funny. Congrats on your current wt. loss too. We kind of had the same motivation to finally "do it". I had 35 lbs to lose and had high bp, cholesterol and slightly elevated blood sugar, thyroid crapped out and I said, that's it. I do not want to die early. It is a pretty simple concept. So here I am. Stay positive cause I think you got this now.
  • chele1028
    chele1028 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Great! You got this, it can be done!
  • LeeLee6184
    LeeLee6184 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi Scott!! Great post!! You had me cracking up the whole time reading this!! I seem to see myself in many of your comments. Congrats on the 24lbs lost!! This post is great motivation for me and anyone else who reads it! Keep up the awesome work!! :smile:
  • Leah_62803
    Leah_62803 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Wonderful post! :smile:

I hope I remember to follow your advice.
  • shadowjack1965
    Options
    You had me cracking up the whole time!
    You wouldn't believe the amount of women who've told me that!

(Unfortunately it's usually during sex...) :(

Glad I could be of help my friend! Keep smilin and keep working at it! WE'LL GET THERE!
  • vickymva
    vickymva Posts: 46 Member
    Options

I find I love to eat for taste. I could be stuffed but still eat something that tastes good. It was just SOOOO easy to remain complacent and since my stomach is easily one of the most spoiled, petulant creature EVER I was powerless to do anything but give in and shut the little monster up.

Totally hear you on the "taste" thing. I am exactly the same way. Just want to keep tasting that great flavour (whatever it may be) over and over, which definitely takes its toll. :-(
  • shadowjack1965
    Options

I'm a veteran member of the "tried and failed" club myself so I can relate!

Not this time though dammit. For ALL of us! Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL NO! AND IT AIN'T OVER NOW! :)
  • eomuno215in541
    eomuno215in541 Posts: 201 Member
    Options

I find I love to eat for taste. I could be stuffed but still eat something that tastes good. It was just SOOOO easy to remain complacent and since my stomach is easily one of the most spoiled, petulant creature EVER I was powerless to do anything but give in and shut the little monster up.

Totally hear you on the "taste" thing. I am exactly the same way. Just want to keep tasting that great flavour (whatever it may be) over and over, which definitely takes its toll. :-(

The slower and less I eat, the more I plan, the better things taste, like I savor them. And I giv myself some "guilty" foods. If that helps.
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    Great read,
    Good luck to you.
    Send me a friend request if you need a weird friend with a quirky sense of humor.
  • hmdiaz76
    hmdiaz76 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Best post I've read all day!

I've never had more than about 30 pounds to lose, but I have lost and regained the same 20 pounds repeatedly. I also have been a MFP (or MFB as I term "her" when I can't stay in my calorie range) quitter a number of times. Somehow, I lose enough weight that I can button my pants without nearly passing out and I think I can eat willy-nilly again. Sigh.

Feel free to add me if you'd like. I'm just starting to post on the boards but am enjoying it.
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Great post and Hi Scott!

Sounds like you are ready and yes! "GO TO THE MATTRESSES! "

No holds barred and no excuses! Check out my profile page and add me if you like! I will be glad to offer support, plus you sound like fun!

Good luck!

:drinker:
    Chelle
  • barbarahaide
    barbarahaide Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Too funny......although I am old married lady I might get a kick out of your posts to keep me motivated! I have some of the same tendencies you do; I like the taste of some foods and once I start can't stop. I started this challenge July 1 at 247 and have lost 9 lbs in the 21 days. Kind of discouraging cause I feel I am doing everything correctly; though not perfect by any means. I like using MFP and have logged consistently (and truthfully); sometimes I try to kid myself and conveniently "forget" something I put in my mouth; but not this time cause I'm a breath away from having to take insulin for my diabetes and I'd rather not have to do that so I am following the dieticians orders as best I can; my current dilemma is that she wants me to have 190 grams of carbs daily and wow that is so much more than I am used to (or so I thought). I also hate to exercise with a passion but have a goal of doing water aerobics 2-3 time a week and so far have been successful. Keep up the good work!
  • shadowjack1965
    Options
    Best post I've read all day!

I've never had more than about 30 pounds to lose, but I have lost and regained the same 20 pounds repeatedly. I also have been a MFP (or MFB as I term "her" when I can't stay in my calorie range) quitter a number of times. Somehow, I lose enough weight that I can button my pants without nearly passing out and I think I can eat willy-nilly again. Sigh.

Feel free to add me if you'd like. I'm just starting to post on the boards but am enjoying it.
    Thanks! Glad I could help!

I know all about that 30 lbs thing. This time I've given them a permanent eviction notice though!

Stay the course, you'll get there. I'll crack some jokes along the way to hopefully make the ride a little more fun.
  • shadowjack1965
    Options
    Too funny......although I am old married lady I might get a kick out of your posts to keep me motivated! I have some of the same tendencies you do; I like the taste of some foods and once I start can't stop. I started this challenge July 1 at 247 and have lost 9 lbs in the 21 days. Kind of discouraging cause I feel I am doing everything correctly; though not perfect by any means. I like using MFP and have logged consistently (and truthfully); sometimes I try to kid myself and conveniently "forget" something I put in my mouth; but not this time cause I'm a breath away from having to take insulin for my diabetes and I'd rather not have to do that so I am following the dieticians orders as best I can; my current dilemma is that she wants me to have 190 grams of carbs daily and wow that is so much more than I am used to (or so I thought). I also hate to exercise with a passion but have a goal of doing water aerobics 2-3 time a week and so far have been successful. Keep up the good work!
    Nice to meet you! It's okay to get motivated from my antics, that's part of what we're all striving for! Don't sweat the married thing either, your husband can operate the camera! (gasp). LOL j/k. :D
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options

I'm a veteran member of the "tried and failed" club myself so I can relate!

Not this time though dammit. For ALL of us! Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL NO! AND IT AIN'T OVER NOW! :)

Shadowjack196's right. Psychotic... but absolutely right. We gotta take these *kitten*. Now we could do it with conventional weapons, but that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
  • FattyFatsoMcTubby
    FattyFatsoMcTubby Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hi Scott! Welcome to Foodaholics Anonymous. Great post. Good luck to you. Fight the battle one day at a time. It's all about having a calorie deficit. Walking is a great way to burn calories, especially getting started. The more calories you burn, the more calories you can eat (I love that). I'll be rooting for you.