Need advice on starting weights

Options
Ok, so I am starting weight training this evening, but I don't know where to start on weights for different exercises. I know I just have to try and see what I can do with each, but I don't want to injure myself in the process. So what I want are "you should try this first and raise it from there" levels for different exercises.

To give you an idea of how strong I am (or more accurately am not), I can bench 12 reps of only 90 lbs. That's the only one I've measured so far. I also weigh 175 (to factor in to things that have body weight AND weights, such as squats).

The exercises I'm starting with are below (all done with a barbell):

1. Bench press
2. Bent over row
3. Squats
4. Bicep curl
5. Calf raises
6. Military press
7. Romanian Deadlift
8. Lying tricep extensions

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Look up these:
    starting strength
    strong lifts
    new rules of lifting (for women)

for barbell work you should consider heavily compound work
    squats
    deadlifts
    over head press
    bench
    barbell rolls
    everything else is just icing and fluff
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I am starting weight training this evening, but I don't know where to start on weights for different exercises. I know I just have to try and see what I can do with each, but I don't want to injure myself in the process. So what I want are "you should try this first and raise it from there" levels for different exercises.

To give you an idea of how strong I am (or more accurately am not), I can bench 12 reps of only 90 lbs. That's the only one I've measured so far. I also weigh 175 (to factor in to things that have body weight AND weights, such as squats).

The exercises I'm starting with are below (all done with a barbell):

1. Bench press
    2. Bent over row
    3. Squats
    4. Bicep curl
    5. Calf raises
    6. Military press
    7. Romanian Deadlift
    8. Lying tricep extensions

Looks like All Pro's SBR with tricep extensions bunged in and the exercise order swapped around.

If it is AP's just do it as written without #8. If it's not AP's how are you planning on structuring the sets/reps/progressions?
  • waxon81
    waxon81 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    As stated above

Starting strength
    Strong lifts

For me I found this routine excellent, although I had a bit of strength training prior
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

After building a good base with that I moved on to
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149807833
    Which has given me the best/fastest results I've ever had since I was a teen.

But any routine which focuses on compound lifting will benefit you greatly as a beginner
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    following.

I have a set of dumbbells, but no bench at my house. Am interested in a weight lifting program as well.
  • LishaDiane
    LishaDiane Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If this is totally new to you, I'd start with the basics with workouts 3 days a week, each body part once a week for a month or so. Log your progress/weights and increase weight as you get stronger. I didn't put shoulders and calves in here yet because those parts get worked out with the other exercises and will be added later as your strength increases and your body is used to the work. Shoulders can easily be injured.

Start with 3 exercises for each upper body part, 3 sets, 8-12 reps. Last couple of reps should be difficult. If 8 is too hard, decrease weight. If 12 is too easy, increase weight. 4 or 5 exercises for legs. I like to go 12-15 reps on legs. Squats and deadlifts are two of the best exercises you can do, but I waited a few months to work those into my routine until I was stronger and my back could handle it. (I have some low back issues).

Day 1 - Legs/Abs
    Day 2 - Rest
    Day 3 - Back/Biceps
    Day 4 - Rest
    Day 5 - Chest/Triceps
    Day 6 - Rest
    Day 7 - Rest

Sample:
    Legs: Leg Press, Leg Extension, Lying Leg Curl, Lunges (I did walking lunges, about 3 or 4 sets of 15 or 20 steps)
    Abs: Any ab exercises you prefer. I did incline knee raises and used ab machines, crunches, etc.
    Back: Wide Grip Pull Down, Bent Over DB Rows, Cable Rows, Pull ups (if you can do them; I couldn't at first)
    Biceps: BB Curl-Straight Bar, Incline Alternating DB Curls, Preacher Curls (machine)
    Triceps: Tricep Pressdown, DB Tricep Kickbacks, DB Extension (overhead)
    Chest: Flat BB Bench Press, Incline DB Press, Flat Bench Flyes or Pec Deck

This is what I used when I started with a personal trainer a few years ago. I worked up to 4 days a week, added shoulders, calves, and other advanced exercises in different combinations as the years have gone by. I'm not a professional or anything, just sharing what I did to get started. I liked easing into it because I'd get really sore, especially my legs, so having the recovery time was helpful.

I find lots of helpful and new information on Bodybuilding.com, from beginner to advanced. They also have many free programs and online trainers that can assist. Hope this helps!
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Before using weights. Some beginners may want to do intense body weight movements before using weights. Some may think its better for your joints and strengthens your muscles.

handstand pushups
    push ups
    pull ups
    squats ect.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    As stated above

Starting strength
    Strong lifts

For me I found this routine excellent, although I had a bit of strength training prior
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

After building a good base with that I moved on to
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149807833
    Which has given me the best/fastest results I've ever had since I was a teen.

But any routine which focuses on compound lifting will benefit you greatly as a beginner

I did All Pro at home and really liked it. I only have dumbbells there, and I did floor presses instead of bench presses, since I don't have a bench.

ETA I also use bb.com's form videos.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    If this is totally new to you, I'd start with the basics with workouts 3 days a week, each body part once a week for a month or so. Log your progress/weights and increase weight as you get stronger. I didn't put shoulders and calves in here yet because those parts get worked out with the other exercises and will be added later as your strength increases and your body is used to the work. Shoulders can easily be injured.

Start with 3 exercises for each upper body part, 3 sets, 8-12 reps. Last couple of reps should be difficult. If 8 is too hard, decrease weight. If 12 is too easy, increase weight. 4 or 5 exercises for legs. I like to go 12-15 reps on legs. Squats and deadlifts are two of the best exercises you can do, but I waited a few months to work those into my routine until I was stronger and my back could handle it. (I have some low back issues).

Day 1 - Legs/Abs
    Day 2 - Rest
    Day 3 - Back/Biceps
    Day 4 - Rest
    Day 5 - Chest/Triceps
    Day 6 - Rest
    Day 7 - Rest

Sample:
    Legs: Leg Press, Leg Extension, Lying Leg Curl, Lunges (I did walking lunges, about 3 or 4 sets of 15 or 20 steps)
    Abs: Any ab exercises you prefer. I did incline knee raises and used ab machines, crunches, etc.
    Back: Wide Grip Pull Down, Bent Over DB Rows, Cable Rows, Pull ups (if you can do them; I couldn't at first)
    Biceps: BB Curl-Straight Bar, Incline Alternating DB Curls, Preacher Curls (machine)
    Triceps: Tricep Pressdown, DB Tricep Kickbacks, DB Extension (overhead)
    Chest: Flat BB Bench Press, Incline DB Press, Flat Bench Flyes or Pec Deck

This is what I used when I started with a personal trainer a few years ago. I worked up to 4 days a week, added shoulders, calves, and other advanced exercises in different combinations as the years have gone by. I'm not a professional or anything, just sharing what I did to get started. I liked easing into it because I'd get really sore, especially my legs, so having the recovery time was helpful.

I find lots of helpful and new information on Bodybuilding.com, from beginner to advanced. They also have many free programs and online trainers that can assist. Hope this helps!

I disagree with this advice because you are a beginner.

When you begin strength training, you need to build foundational strength with the basics (I do recommend Starting Strength and StrongLifts as well) because these will maximize your strength gains. As a beginner you have the opportunity to gain strength very quickly if you're using a linearly progressive program (like StrongLIfts) and getting enough volume in. It's called "noob gains" -- your strength will increase VERY quickly for a period of about 4 months. After that it will become tougher to add weight.

You don't want to train, say, legs, once a week because that leaves you with 4 leg days in a month, only four opportunities to add weight to the bar in a situation where (as a beginner) you would be able to add weight multiple times a week on a full-body program.

Tl;dr
    to make the most of your "noob gains" it is smart to choose a program that will allow you to work your weight up as quickly as you can, because that time will be over soon and you won't get it back. I recommend StrongLifts--full body program three days a week, adding weight each workout.
  • Kaimana94
    Kaimana94 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I would recomend at app call JEFIT. Find one of the routines that you like. Start light and when you can get 3-sets of12-reps move the weight up until you can't
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    following.

I have a set of dumbbells, but no bench at my house. Am interested in a weight lifting program as well.

ditto^^
    (I have started stronglifts 5x5 app (did day 2 yesterday), but it seems too easy/not enough....only 3 moves?! i feel like i'm doing something wrong)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    following.

I do Stronglifts and only use an adjustable dumbbell set. Most of the exercises are easily translated from barbell to dumbbells. I just had to look up comparable exercises and proper form on the internet. One thing to note is that your lifting numbers won't quite be as high as someone lifting with a barbell and plates. Something else too--you will come to a point where you will need help setting up the lifts. I can't curl a 35-pound dumbbells, so I have to get my husband to help me lift them in order to set up my benchpress.
  • jimmmer
    Options

Just caught this. You don't factor in your bodyweight to the weight you can squat.

When people say I can squat 300lb, they don't mean they weigh 160lb and the bar is loaded up with 140lb. They mean they are 160lb and the bar is loaded up with 300lb.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    following.

ditto^^
    (I have started stronglifts 5x5 app (did day 2 yesterday), but it seems too easy/not enough....only 3 moves?! i feel like i'm doing something wrong)

Don't worry. It gets harder as you add weight.

Just make sure you are warming up, cooling down, and resting adequately between sets.
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    following.

ditto^^

Don't worry. It gets harder as you add weight.

Just make sure you are warming up, cooling down, and resting adequately between sets.

thank you!

edited to fix quotes
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    following.

ditto^^

enjoy it while it lasts- that feeling of " I didn't do enough" goes away soon!!!
  • jj_jupiter
    jj_jupiter Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Dumbbell exercises provide an easy and effective way of targeting every major muscle groups in your body. It's easy without a bench. Some suggestions:
    Bicep curls (hammer curls)
    dead lift
    one arm row
    lateral raise
    Squats
    overhead press
    tricep extensions

this website has some good suggestions and illustrations. http://www.dumbbell-exercises.com/exercises/index.html. Buy a book or watch a video to ensure proper form. Guard your back. You could always pay a personal trainer to make you a routine and teach you proper form. You need to add variety to see the best results. Otherwise your body just gets used to it. Good luck.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    Don't think the OP's ever coming back...
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

enjoy it while it lasts- that feeling of " I didn't do enough" goes away soon!!!
    [/quote]

HAHAHAHA - Yeah....Keep coming back...I love it. So true
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • drepublic
    drepublic Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I would give yourself two non consecutive days off. LIke 3 on 1 off two on and 1 off. Beginners may consider this split:

Chest
    Back
    Legs
    Off
    Shoulders
    Arms
    Off

I like this one:
    Back and Traps and Abs
    Hamstrings and Biceps
    Off
    Delts and Tris and Abs