Too many calories

Options
So I've been working out for a long time, but only started getting into eating 'healthy' for the past 6 months. I've discovered MyFitnessPal and it has really helped me see exactly how much I really eat. (Ramen is 400 calories per pack, and I use eat 2-4 packs per day plus everything else 0.0)
However, going by MyFitnessPal's suggestions, I would have to eat 3k+ calories per day just to gain .5 pounds per week with my current routine. How is this correct? I know I eat more than some people who are MUCH larger than me, and I don't understand how a routine of 4 nights a week of exercise can lead to me eating 3 thousand calories per day. On my new, more healthy eating plan that I've been on it would require me to eat WHEY to much food. In order to hit that mark I am almost required to either A) go on weight gainers, or B) eat a cheat meal every night. The cheat meals would definitely help me gain weight, but obviously not the kind I want to be gaining. Weight gainers that are high in protein would work, but also cost about 50$ for a half month worth of supplies (cheaper than the cheat meal I guess)

So, am I really going to have to eat 3k per day in order to gain that .5 pounds per week? I've always been a skinny guy, and always had a healthy appetite, but 3k per day would require way to much time eating, and seeing as I work 13 hours a day and still don't have the money for the food anyways, it just isn't feasible. Please tell me MFP is lying to me.

Replies

• justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Try these calculators to see what they tell you you need for your BRM (calories you need to stay alive) and TDEE (calories you need to maintain your level of activity).

http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/bmr/

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

and a forum that I''ll confess I haven't read, but claims to go into further detail on both:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide

Good luck!
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    3000 calories isn't necessary a lot of food. Think of it as 6 x 500 calorie meals. Or 3 x 700 calorie meals and the rest snacks and drinks. Work out what you are eating now and then see how you can add calories and nutrients to your day.

I like cheese, home made beef burgers (cheap mince) , pasta, rice, bread, chicken thighs, nuts and nut butter, full cream milk, potatoes etc. A lot of these are cheap too. Can you cook? Pasta bakes are easy to make and eat. You can load them with veggies as well. I also tend to have a 'treat' once a day.
  • jtbunce
    jtbunce Posts: 5
    Options
    Eating a high protein diet while also trying to cut out 'junk food' makes 3k calories a lot harder to consume than just eating what-ever. I COULD just stop by Burger king 2 times a day and be set, but that does NOT conform to my goals for obvious reasons. I'll gain tons of fat and a little muscle. I'm not at all interested in dirty bulking.
    It wouldn't be nearly as hard if I had time for 4-5 meals a day, but most of my meals consist of salad with tuna in it, grilled chicken sandwiches, grilled chicken wraps and when I manage to prep on Sundays, I have chili. Most of those I have to eat 2x3 per meal to get on par at 2400 calories a day. I do eat a pack of noodles on occasion if I don't get to eat lunch just so I don't go under maintenance.
    I calculated my BMI a long time ago, and if I remember correctly it suggested I eat close to 2100 calories per day, which is doable on my schedule.

I didn't include any of my information in my OP, but I'm 155 and 5'10. I have gotten much leaner in the last 6 months. I do a 4 day split with little cardio to be honest. That would just make things harder ^^
  • jtbunce
    Options
    A dirty bulk does not mean you ate things like ice cream, pizza, etc
    It's when you going into a larger surplus than necessary in order to maximize muscle gains while minimizing fat gains.

How much you gain will depend of the level of surplus, not the food you eat. No one can tell you how much you have to eat in order to gain .5 lbs per week. That for you to figure out through trail and error.

That first part goes against almost every thing I have seen. Many people claiming to be 'dirty bulking' don't care about fat gains, just about gaining size/strength, and they don't think twice about eating pizza/ice cream. Don't get me wrong, they still eat tons of protein, and they make plenty of strength gains, but like I said, almost anyone I have seen who 'dirty bulks' doesn't give a hoot about fat. Now, I know people who do regular bulks who keep the fat gains to a min. and stay in nice aesthetic shape while gaining weight.

And yeah, I'm still learning my body's habits when it comes to nutrition. Like I said, I have only been eating continuously for the past 6 months, so I am still learning what will cause me to gain fat and what will cause muscle gain. I have a lot to go, probably over a year really. But if I have to eat high protein at 3k per day, I'm going to end up on the streets begging for tuna packs. lol
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Dirty bulk equals going over your excess 500 cals per day, in other words, an uncontrolled binge fest!

Clean bulk is staying very accurate with your numbers and going for that magical 1/2lb muscle and 1/2 lb fat gain.

I'm a single mother and I find ways to fuel myself cheaply and healthily.

First, you don't need HIGH protein on no bulk, you need ADEQUATE protein.

0.8 grams protein per pound of body weight.

On a bulk, because you are eating lots of carbs (hello Ramen noodles!), there are lots of tag along proteins.

Bagels for example, cost 40p each (uk) and have 10grams of protein.

Eggs, milk, rice, bread pasta, veggies, Greek yoghurt, black beans, lentils, any pulses, they are all packed.

I don't even use supplements at all, I am on a tight budget, not because I am poor, but because I like to travel, and buy clothes, go out, have a nice bike, a property, and I don't want to spend more money than I have to on food. It's a great challenge.

Let me help clear up some confusion you have, it's not the protein so much by itself that builds your muscle, it will be the heavy lifting PLUS adequate steadily consumed protein for the amino acids to repair the damaged muscle PLUS the quick carbs to transport those amino acids into the cells by raising your insulin.

You can only build the muscle when you are in an excess calorie situation. That's why it's very important to find your maintenance figure, and not screw it up with cardio. Many people have spun their wheels here trying to bulk in maintenance because of fear of fat gain, or inaccurate numbers. It's a real art form! You HAVE to gain fat with your bulk. Then afterwards you go on a slow cut and try and keep hold of that muscle by lifting and eating adequate protein.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    3000 calories sounds about right for a normal sized, normal routiined guy to bulk and it's really not that much food. not at all, really. find higher calorie foods and eat them. my experience bulking was much more effective and much cheaper WITHOUT the so called muscle builder shakes, btw.
  • njf89
    njf89 Posts: 6
    Options
    define what is junk food and what is clean food. your body doesn't care what you put into it, it only cares your daily cal intake. start calculating your TDEE and your daily activity level and find a macro fits you, and eat whatever you wanna with it. I am not encourging you to change the way you eat now, but find foods you enjoy and fits your macro, not food you dont like and you cant stick to it for long term.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Dirty bulk equals going over your excess 500 cals per day, in other words, an uncontrolled binge fest!

Clean bulk is staying very accurate with your numbers and going for that magical 1/2lb muscle and 1/2 lb fat gain.

On a bulk, because you are eating lots of carbs (hello Ramen noodles!), there are lots of tag along proteins.

Eggs, milk, rice, bread pasta, veggies, Greek yoghurt, black beans, lentils, any pulses, they are all packed.

I don't even use supplements at all, I am on a tight budget, not because I am poor, but because I like to travel, and buy clothes, go out, have a nice bike, a property, and I don't want to spend more money than I have to on food. It's a great challenge.

Let me help clear up some confusion you have, it's not the protein so much by itself that builds your muscle, it will be the heavy lifting PLUS adequate steadily consumed protein for the amino acids to repair the damaged muscle PLUS the quick carbs to transport those amino acids into the cells by raising your insulin.

You can only build the muscle when you are in an excess calorie situation. That's why it's very important to find your maintenance figure, and not screw it up with cardio. Many people have spun their wheels here trying to bulk in maintenance because of fear of fat gain, or inaccurate numbers. It's a real art form! You HAVE to gain fat with your bulk. Then afterwards you go on a slow cut and try and keep hold of that muscle by lifting and eating adequate protein.

/thread
  • jtbunce
    Options

You seem to have missed the OP and are just responding to my other comment. I am not trying to dirty bulk, just bulk. I am not saying that I will binge eat. Most of your post is irreverent to my question. In fact, I even stated "almost anyone I have seen who 'dirty bulks' doesn't give a hoot about fat. Now, I know people who do regular bulks who keep the fat gains to a min. and stay in nice aesthetic shape while gaining weight. " Which implies I knew that you have to gain fat in order to bulk. I never stated that protein is all it takes to build muscle. My question has nothing to do with protein actually, aside from my use of the word WHEY as a pun...

I know most of the in-s and out-s of nutrition, and I already stated that I don't do cardio because it would defeat the purpose of bulking. I was asking for ways to get all 3k calories in my diet without having to eat 4-5 meals a day due to time constraints. (working 13 hours a day and working out for another hour, once time is considered I have maybe an hour of free time)

Also, getting 128g of protein does take effort, considering the fact that most foods (for example, my noodles) do not have much protein in them. Even the protein in the noodles are basic plant protein and are little more than cosmetic seeing as they are very incomplete proteins. I'm not trying to get 2g per body weight (actually, 2g per kg is a good rule of thumb) and I did not claim to be getting that much in my diet.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    128g? That's what I'm getting on my lousy 1750 calorie cutting allowance. That should be easy as pie on 3000. Granted, if you're a student and living on ramen times more difficult, but you should be looking out for sales on things like chicken, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, etc. Canned tuna would be a good option.
  • jtbunce
    Options
    128g? That's what I'm getting on my lousy 1750 calorie cutting allowance. That should be easy as pie on 3000. Granted, if you're a student and living on ramen times more difficult, but you should be looking out for sales on things like chicken, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, etc. Canned tuna would be a good option.

Once again, this topic is not about protein.. it is about the 3k calories, not the protein.
    Protein = no
    General calories = yes

"My question has nothing to do with protein" - from the very last comment I made. The only reason I talked about it is it got brought up by others.