IIFYM carb confusion

Options
Hi! I just started tracking macros in an attempt to gain muscle on my small frame. When I plugged my numbers into the IIFYM calculator, it's telling me to eat a lot of carbs! I have never been into the whole low carb thing, but I still feel like the number of carbs its telling me to eat is a lot. I want to gain primarily muscle, and it just seems like eating such a large amount of carbs would pack on a decent amount of extra fat, which I obviously don't want. Did anyone else think this when first starting IIFYM? Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer!

Replies

• drepublic
    drepublic Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I like the Body Beast Calculator:
    http://dedicatedrepublic.com/body-beast-calculator/

Start with 50c, 30p, 20f on the above calorie target and you should be fine. And depending on your goals and body fat you may want to add additional cardio sessions. I believe you should time the carbs based on your training schedule. For example I slam carbs after weight training workouts if I earned them (up to 1.5 cups of white rice and honey as part of my post workout meal), but I am 190 lbs. I try to enter into my weight training workouts carb loaded. :-)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Carbs (just like the other macros) don't make you fat. What makes you fat is an excessive calorie surplus.

You'd need to give us your height, weight and goals to start with. But these calcs are just estimates anyway. Best to pick a starting number, hit it consistently and track results.