Carb cycling?

Options
Anyone doing Carb cycling?! Does it work well? And for cheat meals, is it okay if its onna rest day?

Replies

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I've thought about this since i first heard of it. I doubt it would work better than anything else but if it appeals to you try it.

I thought for a while that the reasoning behind it might be to trick your body into think that you are not going into starvation mode. But starvation mode does not come into effect unless your calories are severely restricted.

Note: Starvation mode does not mean that you will stop losing weight if you severely restrict calories. It just means that you do not have enough calories to enable your body to function in a healthy way. So body function will be compromised. This is your body's way of dealing with starvation. In order to keep an organism alive as long as possible, the calories are prioritised to where they are needed most. it may not be obvious for some time that a body has been in starvation mode.

Anyway, when you lose about 10% of body weight, you may start to notice other signs which one scientist calls the famine reaction. At this time you will notice increased appetite and find it harder to lose weight without significantly reducing your calories even further. Because at this stage your body has alarm bells going off all over the place.

But on a day to day basis, you might get a tiny bit of mileage out it.

Obviously from an effort point of view, more effort will be required because you will definitely have to count calories every day. When you have fixed calorie amount, its a lot easier to just food log to see how things are going. I lost most of my weight this year from food logging with minimal calorie counting i.e. once every few weeks but even that wasn't really necessary because food logging and the daily weighing tells me when i need to eat less.
  • queenierz
    queenierz Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Oh thank you; I was thinking about trying it because I don't want my body to adapt to the way I eat, and I want to try the cycle to trick my body. I've experienced starvation mode with the symptoms, and it was horrible- I severely restricted my calories just to lose the excess fat on my belly. However, I realized that isn't a healthy and correct solution, but I'm underweight and I actually need tog ain more since I lift heavy weights now. I don't really weigh myself because I don'tw ant to be mistaken with my muscle growth, but I log my food everyday to keep my macronutrients in proportions, and for now I think I can manage logging them everyday. I have one friend who doesn't log downt he calories, but just know what he eats, but luckily he has a very fast metabolsim, unlike me.
    Thank you for the information! :)
    I've thought about this since i first heard of it. I doubt it would work better than anything else but if it appeals to you try it.

I thought for a while that the reasoning behind it might be to trick your body into think that you are not going into starvation mode. But starvation mode does not come into effect unless your calories are severely restricted.

Note: Starvation mode does not mean that you will stop losing weight if you severely restrict calories. It just means that you do not have enough calories to enable your body to function in a healthy way. So body function will be compromised. This is your body's way of dealing with starvation. In order to keep an organism alive as long as possible, the calories are prioritised to where they are needed most. it may not be obvious for some time that a body has been in starvation mode.

Anyway, when you lose about 10% of body weight, you may start to notice other signs which one scientist calls the famine reaction. At this time you will notice increased appetite and find it harder to lose weight without significantly reducing your calories even further. Because at this stage your body has alarm bells going off all over the place.

But on a day to day basis, you might get a tiny bit of mileage out it.

Obviously from an effort point of view, more effort will be required because you will definitely have to count calories every day. When you have fixed calorie amount, its a lot easier to just food log to see how things are going. I lost most of my weight this year from food logging with minimal calorie counting i.e. once every few weeks but even that wasn't really necessary because food logging and the daily weighing tells me when i need to eat less.
  • drepublic
    drepublic Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    What exactly are your goals with Carb Cycling?